Shift to Park Warning | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift to Park Warning

I believe others had cable adjustments done without success. I guess you'll find out. As for a loaner/rental, Ford is not obliged to provide one as per the Warranty Guide. If a dealer provides one, it will be at their cost. The right ESP would provide for a rental.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am also currently having this issue. My wife first noticed it a few months ago and it's been getting worse as time went on. The Ex has been in there since 830 this morning and I called at 1200 to see what the status was. They said they were able to replicate the issue once and are still trying to figure out what's going on. I then did a search on here and saw the comments regarding this issue as well and called him back to let him know what I had read on here about replacing the shifter. He just called back at 1230 saying that it is a cable adjustment issue and they need to order a part. Said it wouldn't be available for pickup until next week sometime. Well this won't work out for us as we need two vehicles for work and all. I asked him if they were going to be providing us a rental car and I was informed that since I didn't have the ESP that I would not be given a rental car. Then he said let me talk to the service tech and I'll call you back. Been almost 30 minutes now with no call back.

I can tell you right now that the shifter needs to be replaced. It is not the cable. If you haven't read through this whole thread, read through it.

I have posted about how to replicate the problem by not putting pressure on the shifter but continuously pressing the shifter button over and over. you can tell when it fails because the Red "P" on the instrument cluster will not be lit up when you are not squeezing the button. If it was a cable, you wouldn't be able to duplicate it at certain times without touching the shifter itself.

Purely an electronic issue within the button and you can't replace the button, has to be the whole shifter.

I believe others had cable adjustments done without success. I guess you'll find out. As for a loaner/rental, Ford is not obliged to provide one as per the Warranty Guide. If a dealer provides one, it will be at their cost. The right ESP would provide for a rental.

Peter

I had read that as well unfortunately but I guess this is the name of the game...

I figured that was the case. The last time I brought it in for some warranty work they did pay for a rental when they had to keep it for a few days.

I can tell you right now that the shifter needs to be replaced. It is not the cable. If you haven't read through this whole thread, read through it.

I have posted about how to replicate the problem by not putting pressure on the shifter but continuously pressing the shifter button over and over. you can tell when it fails because the Red "P" on the instrument cluster will not be lit up when you are not squeezing the button. If it was a cable, you wouldn't be able to duplicate it at certain times without touching the shifter itself.

Purely an electronic issue within the button and you can't replace the button, has to be the whole shifter.

I tried explaining that to the guy but he claims they fixed it without it. It hasn't popped back up since we've gotten it back. I discovered I missed a page when I was going through this thread so I didn't see yours until now.

I went out and tried to replicate the issue. I didn't get anything to pop up saying that I needed to place it in park but I did notice that when it was in Park the red light would disappear when I pressed the shifter button. It didn't disappear on any of the other letters except the P. Does this mean that the issue will arise again if the shifter is not replaced?

I had read that as well unfortunately but I guess this is the name of the game...

I figured that was the case. The last time I brought it in for some warranty work they did pay for a rental when they had to keep it for a few days.

I tried explaining that to the guy but he claims they fixed it without it. It hasn't popped back up since we've gotten it back. I discovered I missed a page when I was going through this thread so I didn't see yours until now.

I went out and tried to replicate the issue. I didn't get anything to pop up saying that I needed to place it in park but I did notice that when it was in Park the red light would disappear when I pressed the shifter button. It didn't disappear on any of the other letters except the P. Does this mean that the issue will arise again if the shifter is not replaced?

If you replicated the issue where you tapped on the button and the Red went away when you let go, if you shut the vehicle off, it will say "shift to park" because it is not sensing the vehicle is in park. Anytime the P is not red, it sees the vehicle as not being in park.

Therefore guess what, you still have the issue and again, the shifter needs to be replaced. Grab the service manager and show them exactly what you did at home. They can't deny it in front of you.

If you replicated the issue where you tapped on the button and the Red went away when you let go, if you shut the vehicle off, it will say "shift to park" because it is not sensing the vehicle is in park. Anytime the P is not red, it sees the vehicle as not being in park.

Therefore guess what, you still have the issue and again, the shifter needs to be replaced. Grab the service manager and show them exactly what you did at home. They can't deny it in front of you.

It never told me that I needed to shift it in park. The red light only went away when I spreaders the shifter button. When I would turn the car off nothing came up on any of my attempts.

It never told me that I needed to shift it in park. The red light only went away when I spreaders the shifter button. When I would turn the car off nothing came up on any of my attempts.

I might have misunderstood what you are saying here so if so, my apologies for repeating myself.

If you squeeze the button, the red P will go away, when you release it, it should light up. What I was saying is if you pull and release the trigger over and over again, you can get it eventually to where the red P is not lit up and you have released the trigger button. In that case, if your vehicle is running and you shut if off (finger is off the shifter, P is not lit in red), the vehicle thinks it is not in park and will tell you to shift to park. A quick fix is to tap the shift button again with it off and the message goes away because it then recognizes you are in park.

2012 Edge LTD Shift to Park

I've had the shift to park issue since October of 2013 and took the car to a local dealer (Ace Motors Woodbury) 3 times for the issue. The last time I took it there they had it all day and it said on the invoice "normal operation of the vehicle, see owner's manual". I was furious and called Ford Customer Care and my case was escalated. I took it to a different dealer (Holman Ford Maple Shade) and they adjusted the cable again as Ace Motors had done on my second trip there. It lasted 2 weeks and 2 days before happening again. I told the Customer Care rep AND the service tech at Holman that the shifter seemed to be the problem when I dropped it off this morning. They called this afternoon and said they were going to replace the shifter tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted if this fixes the issue. It's very upsetting to spend $42,000 on a vehicle with so many defects. This was my first new vehicle purchase and I expected it to be a joyous one, it certainly has not been, it's been an exercise in frustration. I'm caring for a parent with Alzheimer's and time is precious, I don't have the time or patience to take my vehicle in FIVE times to get an issue fixed properly. Could everyone who had the shifter replaced verify that it did permanently fix the problem? Anyone have the part number for the new shifter assembly that supposedly has had the issue addressed? Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Marksyoungmagic, I agree totally. Dealers are just incompetent snakes. On a different issue I have been leaving messages for my dealers service center manager to get a $100 refund he verbally told me he would take care of. That was mid January....

replacing the shifter has fixed my problem now going on a month

I've had the shift to park issue since October of 2013 and took the car to a local dealer (Ace Motors Woodbury) 3 times for the issue...

Hi markyoungsmagic,

How many miles do you have on your Edge? I want to look into this and see how I can help.

Crystal

Marksyoungmagic, I agree totally. Dealers are just incompetent snakes. On a different issue I have been leaving messages for my dealers service center manager to get a $100 refund he verbally told me he would take care of. That was mid January....
I think that should read "some dealers".....Mine has been excellent as have many others that members here use. It is highly unfair, not to mention inaccurate, to 'lump' all dealers together on this 'rant'.

Peter

markyoungsmagic, have you posted on a Ford Edge forum about your issue? There may be others there that might have suggestions or offer some insight to your issue. Remember that an issue that applies to an Explorer might not necessarily be the same as an issue with the Edge. The part numbers may also be completely different.

Peter

I think that should read "some dealers".....Mine has been excellent as have many others that members here use. It is highly unfair, not to mention inaccurate, to 'lump' all dealers together on this 'rant'.

Peter

Peter, I am sure there are a few, but not in the Oklahoma City Metro area.

I might have misunderstood what you are saying here so if so, my apologies for repeating myself.

If you squeeze the button, the red P will go away, when you release it, it should light up. What I was saying is if you pull and release the trigger over and over again, you can get it eventually to where the red P is not lit up and you have released the trigger button. In that case, if your vehicle is running and you shut if off (finger is off the shifter, P is not lit in red), the vehicle thinks it is not in park and will tell you to shift to park. A quick fix is to tap the shift button again with it off and the message goes away because it then recognizes you are in park.

So far it hasn't come back on but after reading mark's post, it may return. I couldn't get the message to pop back up after messing with it for about 20 minutes so I guess I'll just wait and see what happens. If it comes on again then I'll definitely be pushing for the new shifter.

Mark, it isn't the actual shift, it is the trigger button you press to change gears. That button is not always making connection which is why it doesn't work all the time. Since the button isn't replaceable, the whole shifter is replaced. Just wanted to clarify that.. that's why adjusting the cable does nothing permanent.

I had mine replaced last year (Ford even changed the part number on it so something has been updated with the shifter) and no issues thus far. If you go through these replies, I don't think I've seen a single person say they got the message again AFTER the shifter was replaced.

So far it hasn't come back on but after reading mark's post, it may return. I couldn't get the message to pop back up after messing with it for about 20 minutes so I guess I'll just wait and see what happens. If it comes on again then I'll definitely be pushing for the new shifter.

Well blwnsmoke, it's back again haha. I'm up in Michigan on vacation and luckily the service tech I talked to this morning said he is familiar with the issue but they need to look at it and then order the parts this morning.

How long did it take them to replace?

Well blwnsmoke, it's back again haha. I'm up in Michigan on vacation and luckily the service tech I talked to this morning said he is familiar with the issue but they need to look at it and then order the parts this morning.

How long did it take them to replace?

lol, told you so. Fortunately it is more of an annoyance rather then a breakdown.

Once the part came in, it was less then 2 hours to replace. Side panel comes off of center console, couple bolts, out comes the old, new goes in.. couple bolts and side cover goes back on.

Very easy repair. New part number so you should not have it happen again.

Shift to Park Issue with Video

I too am having this same problem. Have an appointment next week to address this and 3 other issues. Only 27K miles on this car. I believe this will be the last Ford I will ever own.

Here is a video of problem:
http://youtu.be/7ACPEIAzvBk[/URL

The problem started for me about 2 months ago and got progressively worse. I took it in and explained what I'd read on this thread that it seems to be the shifter. Instead, they adjusted the cables (TSB they read) and explained it was fixed. Took it home and it started up again the next day. Took it back in and this time they did another procedure (not TSB) and claimed it was fixed. Took it home and it did it the moment I pulled in my garage. Took it back in for the 3rd time and again explained that the shifter needs to be replaced. For no explicable reason, they didn't do it and now say they sent a message to Ford to consult on the issue and they'll likely need to replace the entire shifter/stalk, etc, which will come out of my pocket because it's not on warranty.

Long story short, they are incapable of fixing it and I have no idea if and when Ford will help them to resolve it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum sclev99.:wavey:
If this issue was reported by you to the dealer while the warranty was still in effect I would think that it should be replaced without any cost to you since you did tell them how to fix the problem. I would suggest that you send a private message (PM) to Crystal (FordService), the Ford rep that monitors this sub forum. She can then open a case with your Regional Customer Service Manager. You can use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Peter

Back