Clicking noise from dash (Blend Door Actuator) & DIY Repair | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clicking noise from dash (Blend Door Actuator) & DIY Repair

milliganus

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited Awd
Just started getting a clicking sound in the area of the center console somewhere around the shift lever. It does it with climate on or off. Upon power off it also does it. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you made any enemies recently?;)
I don't know why any ticking would continue after you turn the ignition off. Especially in the area you referred to.

Peter

I'm having the same issue. Mine is whenever I start or shut off the car. I was going to check the relays, but the are where the sound is coming from is strange.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm having the same issue. Mine is whenever I start or shut off the car. I was going to check the relays, but the are where the sound is coming from is strange.

Any help would be appreciated.

Yep, mine too. Also sometimes when driving for no particular reason.

Hi guys, having the same issue. I've had someone else drive for me so I could pinpoint the location and it sounds like it would be behind the right side of the stereo or the upper left side of the glove box. Haven't gone in there yet because I'd like to have the parts first before going in. Seems to happen under these circumstances:

Driving - Only when shutting down the climate control, not during climate adjustments.
Starting - Usually about 2-3 seconds after opening the first door, not the hatch though.
Stopping - usually about 5-6 seconds after turning the engine off.
Sitting stopped - heard it last night after she had not been touched for about 4-5 hours with engine not running. Happened twice for about 10 seconds each time. Just happened to be sitting on the back porch and I park her close enough that I could hear it.

Sounds like I have a wood pecker in the dash. Usually about 15-20 clicks and then it's quiet. Sometimes it does it a second time though, another 15-20 clicks

I posted that link in another thread a few weeks ago. Can't recall which thread it was though. Because the OP mentioned it was coming from the center console around the shifter, I didn't connect the two incidents.

Peter

Thanks for sharing. Will take a look right now!

That is definitely the problem.. Just put an order for it on Amazon..will post results. Thanks again!

Went to dealer today and the part was only $21.00 and he said that is a common problem. Had a drawer full of them. He did make one comment though. This could be a symptom and not the problem. If the flap that this motor controls is bound up, you could just be replacing the thing again real soon. Moral of the story... nothing is ever real easy.

Clicking noise in dash

I have the same noise described in the posts on this thread, starting intermittently about two weeks ago. Does anyone know if waiting a few weeks to get it fixed will cause damage?

Although I'm not 100% sure, I doubt waiting would cause any further problems if it is the same issue.

Peter

Prblem solved replacing the part referenced above. Thanks for the help!!!

I bought the part a week ago but haven't ripped into it yet to make the fix. You have an 11 Explorer as well. Was it just behind the glove box? Was the glove box easy to remove? They gave me a picture at the dealer of the parts under there and there appeared to be two of these motors. Which one did you replace? Any details would be welcome.
Thanks

Clicking noise behind glove box

I have a clicking noise behind the glove box. When I start and shut my 2011 explorer off. It quits when I hit the air recirc button. I took off the glove box and the blend door actuator is clicking. Went to O'reillys and ordered a new one. Has anyone else had this issue.

here is a video on it
http://lincolnforums.com/forums/threads/12561-Clicking-Noise-In-The-Dash

It works when I pull the actuator off and turn on the explorer. I hope when the one I orderd gets here it is the problem.

There is TSB for blend door not working, yours may be bad.

Will the dealer take care of TSB's if out of warranty?

Well, yes but they will want to charge.
If your dealer seems like they are willing to work with you they may cover it, they may go halfsies with Ford, or outright say sorry no dice unless you pay for the service and any parts.

Talk with them, feel them out. On here you can find many posts of after warranty TSB service that the dealer ended up covering, but you need to keep pushing, (nicely), for full coverage.

And if they insist there is no problem or that its "normal", and you think its not, its probably time to go to a different dealer.

Welcome to the Forum scaya.:wavey:
As mentioned in my PM, I have merged your thread with an existing one on the same issue.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks LukerDooker for the information.

Back