Custom Headlights and Fog by RIHIDS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom Headlights and Fog by RIHIDS

WOLFexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
I had RIHIDS.com customize my headlight and fogs. Installed XB led halos (rings are white colored when turned off), 5000k hids for fogs / headlights, and retrofit projectors for fogs. So now i have hid fog lights that doesnt blind people on road.

FaceBook for RIHIDS>>>> https://www.facebook.com/pages/RIHIDscom/164486470254200

picture of fog lights on without headlights

fog light retrofit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really like the look of those.

How did you get the Halo's inside the OEM headlight housing?

Like the look of the Halos but I'd think the fogs are likely no longer useful as fog lights. Too much light and spread too far out.

Peter

Really like the look of those.

How did you get the Halo's inside the OEM headlight housing?

You have to bake the headlights to peel them apart to add halos. then seal them back up

Like the look of the Halos but I'd think the fogs are likely no longer useful as fog lights. Too much light and spread too far out.

Peter

Factory fogs are useless i think. never noticed a difference when they were on. Before I had brighter bulbs in there before projectors but the light spread everywhere including oncoming traffic. sucked for them. But now with the projectors it lights up the road like headlights except its lower enough to ground not to bother oncoming traffic.

Looks great. Any reason you didn't swap the oem headlight projectors for better aftermarket ones whIle you were in there?

im happy with factory HIDs for headlights. put in 5k hids in for a whiter look

Good call on the 5k, I have the same in mine. Anything higher than that looks cheesy to me. Plus you don't get that nice color flicker from the projector with the higher temp bulbs.

I had RIHIDS.com customize my headlight and fogs. Installed XB led halos (rings are white colored when turned off), 5000k hids for fogs / headlights, and retrofit projectors for fogs. So now i have hid fog lights that doesnt blind people on road.

FaceBook for RIHIDS>>>> https://www.facebook.com/pages/RIHIDscom/164486470254200

Baked, cracked open, and resealed. Out of curosity, after all that work you kept in the amber lens reflectors?

Baked, cracked open, and resealed. Out of curosity, after all that work you kept in the amber lens reflectors?
And why not?

Peter

I like it that way. If they make clear lenses, maybe I would have chosen that and could have put in some led switchbacks like I had set up in previous car https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK-RizwaGm0. But they dont make clear lenses that i know of.

Good call on the 5k, I have the same in mine. Anything higher than that looks cheesy to me. Plus you don't get that nice color flicker from the projector with the higher temp bulbs.

Interesting that you think HID on Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, and Maserati look cheesy. They use 7000K HID bulbs on exotics and that is usually what the look individuals are after.

I did 6000K HID and with a little blue hue it looks fantastic, but as always "to each his own"

And why not?

Peter

I think it's pretty obvious based on the high volume of queries of baking the lights, removing or clearing the lens, or anything similar.

In this case, some have the preference of keeping them in.

I don't recall a 'high volume' of posts about baking lights and I've been on here 3.5 years. There have been a few. Also, don't forget that there are certain laws that govern reflectors (colour, placement etc) so one should be careful when doing mods on them.

BTW, welcome to the Forum SHADOW.:wavey:
It would be helpful if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so that it shows in the margin. It would help members when addressing any future concerns you may have.:thumbsup:

Peter

looks nice, im about to jump the gun and do a retro on my fog lights as well, getting replacement fog lights from carparts.com, and the matchbox projector kit from theretrofitsource.com with 3000k bulbs.

Welcome to the Forum 350sexZ.:wavey:
I think your colour is actually White Platinum Tri-Coat not White Metallic. At least the metallic isn't available here in Canada.
Enjoy your Sport. I think it should be given 'top billing' in your profile, and not the 350z, since you are on an Explorer forum.;)
Happy motoring.:thumbsup:

Peter

Interesting that you think HID on Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, and Maserati look cheesy. They use 7000K HID bulbs on exotics and that is usually what the look individuals are after.

I did 6000K HID and with a little blue hue it looks fantastic, but as always "to each his own"

I would like to see proof of that. I do not know of any oem hid bulb higher than 5k color temperature. I've driven a Gallardo and a modena 360 lights on both were pure white. I have 6k in my bike and it makes it obvious it is not stock.. I hate them.

The color you see on exotics is due to the way the light hits the projector not the bulb itself. My explorer even does this to some extent just not as extreme.

I would like to see proof of that. I do not know of any oem hid bulb higher than 5k color temperature. I've driven a Gallardo and a modena 360 lights on both were pure white. I have 6k in my bike and it makes it obvious it is not stock.. I hate them.

The color you see on exotics is due to the way the light hits the projector not the bulb itself. My explorer even does this to some extent just not as extreme.

The best for providing the most visibility is 4,800k. That's why most manufactures stick around that range and it gives a nice, pure white.

As you get into the blue and purple tints at a higher kelvin, the HID's don't light up the road as well.

Whether someone likes a blue/purple tint or pure white is personal preference. I like the 4,800k white on my Saab. When I had to replace the bulbs, I stuck with that not just for the white look, but the best light projection on the road.

im happy with factory HIDs for headlights. put in 5k hids in for a whiter look

Would you be willing to reveal the cost for the project, broken down by headlights and foglights?

$400 headlights and $200 fogs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you using the stock fog light and replacing the bulb with a HID kit?

Back