Foul Smell in Cabin From Vents / AC | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Foul Smell in Cabin From Vents / AC

I too just noticed the new NASTY smelly sneaker smell from the vents when running my AC on my 2011 Ford Explorer this year...and thus led me here to Explorer Forums.

At first I did not think any condensation was dripping but have since verified there is plenty of condensation dripping from in front of the firewall, in front of the drivers side. It also drips just fine from the rear, behind the rear left wheel for the back seat unit. I also checked the cabin air filter...and other than some minor dirt and debris, not much was there to indicate the smell was coming from the filter (Damn!!, the cabin air filter is three times the price of the vehicle air filter!!) :mad:

I can't find a condensation drip tube...does anyone know where it is or is there one?

I'm coming up on 3 years with this vehicle soon, in the low 20's for miles...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I too just noticed the new NASTY smelly sneaker smell from the vents when running my AC on my 2011 Ford Explorer this year...and thus led me here to Explorer Forums.

At first I did not think any condensation was dripping but have since verified there is plenty of condensation dripping from in front of the firewall, in front of the drivers side. It also drips just fine from the rear, behind the rear left wheel for the back seat unit. I also checked the cabin air filter...and other than some minor dirt and debris, not much was there to indicate the smell was coming from the filter (Damn!!, the cabin air filter is three times the price of the vehicle air filter!!) :mad:

I can't find a condensation drip tube...does anyone know where it is or is there one?

I'm coming up on 3 years with this vehicle soon, in the low 20's for miles...

Just recently there was a post where the OP photographed a drip tube poking out of the silver insulation under the ? drivers side. Cant remember what post it was for...

It was the A/C drain hose.

Peter

Just recently there was a post where the OP photographed a drip tube poking out of the silver insulation under the ? drivers side. Cant remember what post it was for...

I looked at all of the posts from the OP for a photograph but did not come across any. Are you sure it was the OP?

------------------------------------------------------

It was the A/C drain hose.

Peter

PeterK9, do you recall where the pic was?

2014 EXP AC Mold

I have a 2014 Ford Explorer with the mildew/black mold smell and this is a direct cause of Legionnaires' disease.

Legionnaires' disease is a severe form of pneumonia — lung inflammation usually caused by infection. Legionnaires' disease is caused by a bacterium known as legionella.

You can't catch Legionnaires' disease from person-to-person contact. Instead, most people get Legionnaires' disease from inhaling the bacteria. Older adults, smokers and people with weakened immune systems are particularly susceptible to Legionnaires' disease.

The legionella bacterium also causes Pontiac fever, a milder illness resembling the flu. Separately or together, the two illnesses are sometimes called legionellosis. Pontiac fever usually clears on its own, but untreated Legionnaires' disease can be fatal. Although prompt treatment with antibiotics usually cures Legionnaires' disease, some people continue to experience problems after treatment.

This is not my first experience with this A/C problem, in fact I traded a perfect BMW 5 series with low mileage that i loved for this car because BMW kicked me to the curb over it and after a technician upon my arrival to service said he "about died" from the smell just poking his head in, the next day they said they could no longer smell it and could do nothing. After several visits and a weakening stomach, I traded for the Explorer... now it is doing the same thing and I know from a technician the only way to be rid of it is to remove the dash and replace all plastic A/C parts and the condenser. This issue will not go away people, you are at risk and Ford knows it. I will update with my findings as I go, my feeling is this car will be returned under lemon law.

Welcome to the Forum Rickd.:wavey:
Although it is possible, I don't know why you would have mold or mildew on a relatively new vehicle or why a few others have it and the majority don't. I'd be curious to know what the differences are between them as far as environment or driving habits to see if there is any relationship.
It would also be helpful to the members if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so that it shows in the left margin when you post.
I recommend taking the vehicle to the dealership so that they can examine it and record the issue.

Peter

The foul A/C smell is definitely more apparent and more pungent in the rear vents than in the front. I always have to air it out every time I first turn on the A/C. Annoying....I really hope NHTSA gets to the bottom of the SMELLY EXPLORER!

Welcome to the Forum Rickd.:wavey:
Although it is possible, I don't know why you would have mold or mildew on a relatively new vehicle or why a few others have it and the majority don't. I'd be curious to know what the differences are between them as far as environment or driving habits to see if there is any relationship.
It would also be helpful to the members if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so that it shows in the left margin when you post.
I recommend taking the vehicle to the dealership so that they can examine it and record the issue.

Peter
Hello Back Peter.

Living in Canada you don't see mildew outside of the home much I suppose, here in Tennessee we have it everywhere. Thing is I have a Toyota and another German automobile that are only a few years old with no sign of mold forming anywhere, these cars that do have it seem to be in numbers, just google it BMW has it because they drain condensate to a mat where it is to evaporate so you don't have a puddle in the garage, well that mat gets dirty and the lines plug causing water to trap at the base of the condenser.

My best guess is the Explorer has similar issues with "some" water not able to drain properly or dissipate and the mold begins to form rapidly and once there... it is virtually impossible to remove from every nook and cranny so it returns very rapidly like cancer. I have dealt with this for so long cleaning, spraying cans of disinfectant, running the heater to try and kill the bacteria... i can tell you nothing will rid you of it short of removing every part the vile smelling mold has formed on or in... just the same as cancer one little tiny cell will re-grow it and the process will begin again.

I am not posting this to scare anyone, but people with this problem need to be diligent in seeing that they are driving a safe vehicle no matter the inconvenience. I will be taking my car to the dealer, but not before i scope it and get images of the mold as well as samples for lab testing, I will except no less than a complete system change or the car will be returned, if that fails it will become a billboard. Yes It's that bad.

I had the same musty, mildew smell.
Took it to my dealer, they said they do not have any instructions from Ford on cleaning or performing any action to fix this issue. Basically left me stranded.

The smell gets worse and worse on hot days... Here is what I tried, that other car manufacturers recommend. I've tried this on my previous 2 BMW X5 and my wifes current Kia Sedona minivan. All I have to say that it works great and you should see the disgusting colored drain fluid that comes back from the drain tube.

See this link: http://www.xoutpost.com/attachments...aporator-cleaning-method-tsb-cli-016-rev1.pdf

This document has the step by step instructions on executing this task.
The Kia cleaners are a bit expensive at 30/pack. I purchased the Subaru cleaner kit for 16/pack. Note that they are both made by the same manufacturer.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...m/649635d1342700369-a-c-musty-smell-ac001.jpg
Part#: SOA868V9315

I just performed this cleaning method on my Explorer 1 month ago and so far no smell and it smells like new car.

Steps for our Explorers:

1. While the car is cold - get under the car under the drivers side and you will see a drain tube at 90 degree facing forward.
(I also put my shopvac to the drain tube to ensure if any debris is vacuumed)
2. Get a piece of rubber flexible drain hose. and put it on the drain tube.
3. Take the large evaporator foam cleaner and plug the end of it on the drain hose.
4. Shake vigorously often and spray it upwards into the drain hose.
5. The foaming action spray will fill the evaporator core area and the drainage system.
6. Once the can is empty. Take a break - leave the stuff in there for 10-15 minutes.
7. Pull the hose and the can, you should see all the liquid will drain right down. (Best to have a pan under and wear some eye protection - nasty colored fluids comes right down fast).
8. Wait 10-15 minutes for the liquid to drain completely.
(Now its time to take out your cabin air filter and put it aside)
9. Start up the car - and with air on from the outside on high. Spray the other can which is a deodorizer into the vents by the windshield cowl.
10. This refresh up the vents and your vehicle. This is a sanitizer.
11. Once done, open all the doors and let it air out.
(Now its time to install your cabin filter back)
12. Run the AC on high and watch the water drip down - You are now all done.
No more smell.

I do this once a year and keeps my AC smell great and no more mildew smell.

This DIY technique is cheap, best and no trips to the freaking dealer trying to explain them what the issue is and waste your time getting no where.. Sorry Ford but I think this method works.

They wouldn't help me

Hi Hoot,

Thanks for following up. Send me your info in a PM and I'll do what I can to help. As Peter had mentioned previously, I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership so I can check out ways to assist. :)

Crystal

Good luck with getting any help from Ford Corporate! They refuse to fix the problem! However they are more than happy to let you purchase a new explorer at a discount (although you' ll take a huge loss on your current one). You'll have better luck contacting a lawyer and filing a lemon law complaint!

I am also experiencing the same overwhelming mold/mildew smell every time I start the vehicle. It is especially pungent after the car has been sitting out in a hot parking lot for awhile as opposed to in the garage overnight.

I had the dealer do the disinfectant treatment the last time I had it in which helped for a day or so but the smell came right back.

I already have a lot of sinus problems and I spend a lot of time in the car so I'm not happy about this and the apparent lack of a good fix. Hope someone figures it out soon.

I've noticed a moldy smell only when I turn on the car and the a/c blows out for the first 10 seconds or so. Afterwards it goes away and I only smell the yankee candle vent sticks in there. Not sure if this is the same thing everyone else is experiencing or not, I don't use the recirculating air ever in my car, I guess I'll eventually get around to having the service dept check it out.

Stinky A/C

Called the dealer yesterday and simply asked if they had heard any issues with 2014 Explorer A/C foul smell at start up "no sir haven't heard anything" then when I explained my experience with both cars and inquired about all the web chatter they backed down and said "well I've heard of it just not on these. The service department is looking into it to see if any "tsb's or any corporate news" is available and call back.

Firs if there were a TSB on the 2014 it would be on here or somewhere and at the very least in the service center data files for TSB. My guess is they will push back and send me packing with some lame story.

please keep the posting up on this and be diligent in making your cars safe to drive, the only fix is a complete remove and either disinfect or replace all ABS duct parts, condensate drain and the evap coil... everything the mold has formed on.

Update to the Foul Smell - 2014 Explorer 10K Miles

2014 Ford Explorer is back in the shop for the 6th time, second trip in a week for the stinky A/C. They have changed cabin filters, flushed vents with deodorant, etc., it helped for a day, then the smell was back. Now they are going to take the A/C apart piece by piece until they find the problem and replace the parts. At least they finally admitted they could smell the stench. One of the service managers said it made him feel ill. Keep your fingers crossed that they figure this mystery out!

2014 Ford Explorer is back in the shop for the 6th time, second trip in a week for the stinky A/C...

Hi everyone,

As a reminder, I'm here to do what I can to help. If you're still experiencing the odor after going to your dealer, send me a PM with your info so I can look into this. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer.

Thanks!

Crystal

Hi everyone,

As a reminder, I'm here to do what I can to help. If you're still experiencing the odor after going to your dealer, send me a PM with your info so I can look into this. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer.

Thanks!

Crystal

Hi Crystal... could you please tell me/us in what your position is at Ford?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe all the Ford reps on here are strictly Customer Service reps. They are the go between the customer and the regional customer service managers. They do not interface directly with the dealers nor the Ford technicians.
I'm sure they will correct me in the morning if I'm wrong. :)

Peter

Back