• Register Today It's free!

Changing PTU Fluid

Kpwweb

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
So I'm really **** and like working on my own cars... Plus the idea that it helps with preventive maint and has worked on every car I've owned thus far.

So far I've changed rear diff, ATF, and of course engine oil... Added Water Wetter to coolant (it was a little low anyway).

Today I thought I would change the PTU fluid based on 10k miles and the reports of issues people have with the earlier PTU units and overheating the gear oil and breaking down the factory fill lube...

So I managed to SEE the PTU fluid temp sensor (according to Ford it and it's shield must be removed as the fill point), but how on earth do you get at the thing? The rear cat and rear turbo oil drain back line is in the way. I started to remove the rear cat and had loads of trouble--not the least of which was a cross-threaded bolt on the cat-to-exhaust flange. Thanks UAW! That added an hour and a half!

So the question is--has anyone replaced the PTU lube on a Sport and how?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the helpful reply.... But no... Google Ford PTU and see the problems--and pics.

The Transmission fluid is good for 150k miles. Also, I believe the PTU fluid is a lifetime fluid and does not require changing. Still trying to verify that.
From the Owner's Guide;
Normal vehicle axle maintenance:
Rear axles and power take-off units with synthetic fluid and light-duty trucks equipped with
Ford-design axles are lubricated for life; do not check or change fluid
unless a leak is suspected, service is required or the assembly has been
submerged in water.

Peter

So the question is--has anyone replaced the PTU lube on a Sport and how?
Not the Explorer, but close. http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9334 I'm changing ATF, Diff, and PTU at 50K intervals w/ Amsoil (don't tow), so on-schedule for October. Same schedule I've used on every vehicle for the last 20 years. I'll post pics and UOA all 3 (curiosity). I do believe in 10K engine OCI with full syn. I don't believe in lifetime fills.

Not the Explorer, but close. http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9334 I'm changing ATF, Diff, and PTU at 50K intervals w/ Amsoil (don't tow), so on-schedule for October. Same schedule I've used on every vehicle for the last 20 years. I'll post pics and UOA all 3 (curiosity). I do believe in 10K engine OCI with full syn. I don't believe in lifetime fills.

I saw that chain. It somewhat inspired me to change mine. However, reading it sounds like the particulars are different...? There was no fill plug--just a drain plug and removable temp sensor.

Trouble is getting at anything to fill it with. Amsoil made a nice filler that screwed onto their bottles that works quite well. I just was hoping there was an easier way than removing the rear cat!

Thank you for the info. Might try putting it up in the air next tire rotation (instead of ramps) and see if that changes any angles...

The Transmission fluid is good for 150k miles. Also, I believe the PTU fluid is a lifetime fluid and does not require changing. Still trying to verify that.
From the Owner's Guide;
Normal vehicle axle maintenance:
Rear axles and power take-off units with synthetic fluid and light-duty trucks equipped with
Ford-design axles are lubricated for life; do not check or change fluid
unless a leak is suspected, service is required or the assembly has been
submerged in water.

Peter

I saw that in the owners manual. But there have been too many posts that suggest otherwise... I've never believed in lifetime fills. Life of what?

There are too many wearing and slipping (clutches and bands) parts to suggest otherwise.

But I could use the paws of a cat to help!

I saw that in the owners manual. But there have been too many posts that suggest otherwise... I've never believed in lifetime fills. Life of what?

There are too many wearing and slipping (clutches and bands) parts to suggest otherwise.

But I could use the paws of a cat to help!

Oh sorry, I meant a dog!

That is likely why it is located where it is. So you have to really work to get at it. A monkey would be more useful, that way it can also change any blown fuses in the cabin fuse box. ;):thumbsup: The dogs are only interested in rides. :)

Peter

You do realize that if you crack the seal on the items that are lubed for life and do not require service you will have voided your powertrain warranty right?

You do realize that if you crack the seal on the items that are lubed for life and do not require service you will have voided your powertrain warranty right?
If the powertrain warranty were lifetime, I would leave it alone. It expires at 60K. I'll change it.

I had a friend at work who has a 2012 Ex and he did the same thing and when he was having problems with his 4 wheel drive system, they voided the warranty stating it was cause by "improper maintenance". He actually fought it in court and lost so ....just saying!

There is no seal. The repair manual states how to change the PTU fluid.

It's just getting to that step in the repair manual! It looks easy on paper... The issue is real life...

I was under my car over the weekend.
I considered servicing the PTU. But it looked like quite the project. So left it alone.

Changing the PTU Fluid

Is there any warranty issues with changing my own PTU fluid on my 2015 XSport?

I took it to the dealer to have it done, and they didn't want to get involved with trying to do it.

Is there any warranty issues with changing my own PTU fluid on my 2015 XSport?

I took it to the dealer to have it done, and they didn't want to get involved with trying to do it.
I believe the Owner's Guide says that it is a 'permanent' fluid with no need to change it (see post 4). Perhaps that is why the dealer declined.

Peter

I had an appointment at the dealer to have it changed. They came and got me because they were not sure how to do it. After I explained how others have done it, they said they could not do it that late in the afternoon and the cost would not be the amount quoted, more like a couple hours labor added. So, seems they would do it if I wanted to pay extra.

Shop foreman also said that Ford should have made it easier to change, and should be changed regularly due to the issues that they have seen with the PTU.

They told me if it goes they'll warranty and put a new one in. But honestly, I'd prefer to not have it blow.

How could 1.1 pints of 75/140 oil be "lifetime" in an AWD unit of a 5000 lb suv that can tow up to 5000 lbs of weight? That makes no sense...

IHow could 1.1 pints of 75/140 oil be "lifetime" in an AWD unit of a 5000 lb suv that can tow up to 5000 lbs of weight? That makes no sense...
It can't. I have a qt. of Amsoil Severe Gear 75-140 sitting on the shelf. I have a friend with a lift, so I'm going to try the Mity Vac method of suctioning and refilling this fall at 70K. I already BG'd the "lifetime" fluid in the trans. I'll do the rear diff at the same time. Gear oil shears down under heat/stress. Ford added a drain on PI and Sport models, and water cooling for Middle East exports. Cost cutting and marketing domestically.

As I read somewhere else, it’s lifetime fluid. The fluid will last the life of the PTU. When(not if) the PTU fails, so does the fluid. The PTU could fail at 30K, 100K, 200K….etc. Whenever the PTU fails, the fluid should be replaced. Since sarcasm doesn’t come across in text, that info above it meant to be sarcastic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Peter.
I did take out old fluid by using "12V 5Amp DC Motor Oil Diesel Extractor Scavenge Suction Fuel Transfer Pump Jet" (ordered from ebay. $30). And refill by using the same pump. Only problem was to keep the thinner side of pipe inside the PTU, which means, you'll have to switch the pipe to refill the fluid. ( I know, it sounds confusing, but you'll figure out when you change the fluid).
Now main issue is to find that drain plug/refill plug, in 2013 Ford explorer I could not see any drain plug, so I used the same plug to drain and refill.
How to access the plug?
Look from passenger side , right above the axle (slightly towards seats) which is connected to PTU. I used long ratchet, little over foot inside. Trust me its easier than it sounds. You can do it.
I am sorry, no pictures because I didn't have my camera with me, I thought I'll just take a look, didn't plan to change the fluid that easily..
Hope it helps

Back