Cargo Space | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cargo Space

rpearlberg

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Toyota 4Runner
I can find the cubic volume of cargo space, but what is the actual distance of space from behind the front seat to the trunk door in a 2014 Explorer Limited? Do the 2nd row seats fold down like the 3rd row?

Welcome to the Forum rpearlberg.:wavey:
I don't have my Explorer any more so I can't help you with the measurement.
I do have some pics that might help with your other question. You can get the 3rd row power fold with some packages. The 2nd row are manual in the 2011 I have but can be power fold and tilt. My MKT has that feature and when you press the button the seat ends up in the position shown by the near seat in the 3rd picture.

Peter

Attachments

• PA130137_1.JPG
    PA130137_1.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 432
  • PA130138_1.JPG
    PA130138_1.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 426
  • PA130139_1.JPG
    PA130139_1.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 449

I can find the cubic volume of cargo space, but what is the actual distance of space from behind the front seat to the trunk door in a 2014 Explorer Limited? Do the 2nd row seats fold down like the 3rd row?

The 3rd row actually folds but can also "stow" (where it then backflips after folding to create a completely flattened cargo area). The 2nd row only folds forward (not as flat as a stowed 3rd row but good enough). If you have 60/40 bench 2nd row, no problem. If you have bucket seats and a console 2nd row, no problem. But if you have what I have (bucket seats and no console), then there would be a space between the folded 2nd row. :eek: I suppose you could put something to cover the whole area but that gap would be underneath for that configuration.

I don't have the measurements with both rows down but for the Weathertech cargo mat that I bought for the area when the 3rd row is down, the distance from the liftgate to the 2nd row is about 6 ft (my cargo mat is 55" long starting from the back of the 2nd row and ending just before the rear bumper lip).

So if the seat backs (minus the headrests) are about 2 ft high, then you could add another 2 ft to the length of the cargo area if you also put the 2nd row down, and ballpark the total to about 8 ft (or a little more since there is a little gap between the back of the front seats and the forward edge of the folded 2nd row seats (assuming the front seats are forward).

I have a 2012 Limited with the second row buckets:
Max length is 89" x 26" wide. The height averages about 24".
The max length is with the front passenger seat moved to its most forward position and as vertical as possible. The width is with the third row flat and the passenger side second row seat folded.
If the all seats are folded flat and a comfortable seating position is set for a 6' tall person in the front row, then the max length is about 85" x 41" wide. This depends upon how upright the front seat are.

Back