• Register Today It's free!

Rotors not wearing properly?

Andrewtre

Reaction score
City, State
Lyndhurst OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
Hello all! I have a quick question about the disc brakes on my 2013 XLT. I purchsed this truck Certified Pre-Owned about a month ago. I have only 23K miles on the truck, and am noticing some odd wear on the rotors. The whole outer edge of the rotor, i measured 1/2" is not making contact with the pads. It almost seems like the pads are undersized for the rotors. Anybody else have this type of wear? Is it normal on this truck? Just a guess but i would think that braking is reduced by at least 15-20% because of this. I dont know if the selling dealership put smaller pads on when "certifying" this truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would assume, based upon your description that it may have the larger rotors with the standard brakes. From my initial investigation it appears as though the only difference between the 'big brake' package and the standard one is the rotor diameter. Whether this was something that was done at the factory or at the dealership is anyone's guess. As I am in NEO, I can look at it and tell you better if you have an interest in that.

On the 'big brake' package which is used on the SPORT & I assume the police units, the pads are also larger to provide a larger brake swept area. You're thinking about this from the perspective of what you are seeing as opposed to what it could be.

Many years ago I had a performance T-Bird that I had wheels and tires put on. They overtightened the lugs with an unregulated impact gun and warped the rotors. They reluctantly replaced the rotors and I reluctantly allowed them to touch my toy again. Long story short, they put the regular T-Bird rotors on the car, not the right ones. I discovered, after a hard track run where I felt the car was lacking in the stop department, that I had about a 1/2" of pad that wasn't touching the rotor.

In a nutshell, you aren't losing anything in this situation as you never had the big brakes to begin with.

If you use the 'Search' function you will see that there are several threads related to calipers and rotors wearing prematurely.

Peter

The larger rotor provides a better heat sink to absorb and dissipate heat. Warped rotors (other than the unregulated lug wrench) are caused by excessive heat. By having a larger rotor it can absorb more and the larger surface area gives it a place to go.

This is completely normal on most all cars. Is even more noticeable on my Saab where I have zinc covered (silver in color) cross drilled and slotted rotors.

The whole rotor is covered in zinc so it does not rust and provides a clean look. The zinc wears off where the pad hits it. On my Saab there is a distinct silver ring around not just the top of the rotor, but a small portion of the surface of the rotor along the edges like the above linked dropbox pic.

I would assume, based upon your description that it may have the larger rotors with the standard brakes. From my initial investigation it appears as though the only difference between the 'big brake' package and the standard one is the rotor diameter. Whether this was something that was done at the factory or at the dealership is anyone's guess. As I am in NEO, I can look at it and tell you better if you have an interest in that.

Talked with ford today. The brakes were replaced at the dealership around 13k miles. I think there was a caliper issue at that point.

Looked at some other trucks while out today, and the wear I am seeing is definitely not normal. All the trucks I saw (3) had wear all the way out to the outer rim of the rotor, not the half inch below like I have. I agree that I have the larger brakes on the truck (202A) package claims HD brakes on Fords website. I do believe that they installed pads that were meant for the smaller rotors. I have an appointment with a different dealership set for a few weeks out, I hope that Ford will correct the issue for me with no hassle. Clearly their certified techs made a mistake.

Talked with ford today. The brakes were replaced at the dealership around 13k miles. I think there was a caliper issue at that point.

Looked at some other trucks while out today, and the wear I am seeing is definitely not normal. All the trucks I saw (3) had wear all the way out to the outer rim of the rotor, not the half inch below like I have. I agree that I have the larger brakes on the truck (202A) package claims HD brakes on Fords website. I do believe that they installed pads that were meant for the smaller rotors. I have an appointment with a different dealership set for a few weeks out, I hope that Ford will correct the issue for me with no hassle. Clearly their certified techs made a mistake.

It's not unusual to have about an 1/8" or so ring of rust. Also not unusual to have none. In your case could be wrong sized pads, or if it is just happening on one rotor, bad piston.

Contrary to what some posters have indicated this is absolutely NOT NORMAL. While it is not unusual to have an area on the rotor both above and below the pads that is rusty indicating there is no pad contact in that area, 1/2" is far to much. The only explanation is the wrong pads for the rotor.

Having indicated that you in fact have the big brakes, the dealer put the standard pads on the truck. The sad thing here is the tech had to see that as the pads are installed into the caliper bracket and should have known to go get the right pads.

On our Ex's, you should see at most an 1/8" of non-contact area at the top of the rotor, with a 1/16" band as more likely.

Back