Notchy Turn Signal Lever FIX | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Notchy Turn Signal Lever FIX

Thanks Peter... trust me, it's not always been "roses and butterflies" but with a little persistence, I can get the JOB DONE. It is a little unfortunate that I have to bounce back and forth between my selling dealership and another dealership in town to get the work done but it's all GOOD!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I`m glad I found this thread. We just ordered a 2014 Ruby Limited explorer & one of the things I noticed about the demo vehicle (a 2013 Limited) was that the turn signal would not stay up or down for turns. I mentioned this to the salesman & he said it was "normal". Now I know its not. I hope we don`t have this trouble when the new one rolls off the delivery truck.

I`m glad I found this thread. We just ordered a 2014 Ruby Limited explorer & one of the things I noticed about the demo vehicle (a 2013 Limited) was that the turn signal would not stay up or down for turns. I mentioned this to the salesman & he said it was "normal". Now I know its not. I hope we don`t have this trouble when the new one rolls off the delivery truck.
Welcome to the Forum kenv.:wavey:
What the salesman told you is correct. The lever does not remain in either the up or down position but returns to the central or neutral position. Thus if you wish to make a left turn, you move the lever down and it will return to the central position but your signal will be ON. If you want to take advantage of the 3 blink option, just press down lightly to the first detent and release. This is used mainly for lane changes but many of us feel that 3 blinks is too short.
The issue with the 'notchy' or hard to move lever seems to be isolated to the 2013 models.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum kenv.:wavey:
What the salesman told you is correct. The lever does not remain in either the up or down position but returns to the central or neutral position. Thus if you wish to make a left turn, you move the lever down and it will return to the central position but your signal will be ON. If you want to take advantage of the 3 blink option, just press down lightly to the first detent and release. This is used mainly for lane changes but many of us feel that 3 blinks is too short.
The issue with the 'notchy' or hard to move lever seems to be isolated to the 2013 models.

Peter

Ahhh, OK Thanks for the clarification.:chug:

Thanks for this. I picked up my Explorer Sport today, and it does not have this problem. BUT, my SHO, also a 2013, DOES have this problem. My wife likes it fine, but I always feel like im gonna snap the lever in half I have to push it so hard.

Thanks for this. I picked up my Explorer Sport today, and it does not have this problem. BUT, my SHO, also a 2013, DOES have this problem. My wife likes it fine, but I always feel like im gonna snap the lever in half I have to push it so hard.
Welcome to the Explorer forum DubbsFaris.:wavey:
I hope you enjoy your new Sport. Don't forget to update your profile so that the new Ex will show in the left margin or add it to your signature if you still have the 2008 GT500.
Happy motoring. :):thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks Peter, I will definitely go through and update everything else, but I did go ahead and put a signature in last night.

Loving the EX

Thanks Peter, I will definitely go through and update everything else, but I did go ahead and put a signature in last night.

Loving the EX
Let me guess.......you're a Ford guy? :D:thumbsup:

Peter

Im a realist Peter. My buddy went out and bought a brand new 2011 Porsche Panamera S. I figure he spent 160k on a performance sedan that could "fit the widest spectrum of use." Ive driven the car, and its pretty fantastic, but for the same money, I was able to buy my whole signature through great friends and deals at Ford.

The difference between me and him is that no matter where I go, or what kind of terrain Im driving on, its with a BIG smile on my face!

Ford is the only manufacturer that makes a performance vehicle for every scenario.

Just had my turn stalk replaced, its so much better.
I use the quik-flash all the time and in comparison the old stalk was horrible and made it annoying to drive. Now thats not happening anymore it makes driving so much more relaxed. :thumbsup:

...fixed the picture links.

Also, I now have another 2013 Limited due to crashing the first one (whoops). It was built about 6 months later than my first limited. The turn signal in this one is almost perfect. There must have been a bad batch of parts that was used?

Also, I now have another 2013 Limited due to crashing the first one (whoops). It was built about 6 months later than my first limited. The turn signal in this one is almost perfect. There must have been a bad batch of parts that was used?

...yes, for 4 years...:D

For some reason this only appeared to affect some 2013 models. I found that some 2013 Lincolns also had the same issue.

Peter

Has anyone had an issue when using the LEFT turn signal position and the turn signal arm stays stuck in the down position? In which one needs to physically move the turn signal arm back to its neutral position? Once you move the lever back to the neutral position the turn signal will not self cancel even after turning full deflection of the steering wheel to the left and back to the right. The right turn upwards does not have this issue. Im wondering if the factory over torqued those torx screws mentioned on the original posting. I might dig into the steering column and readjust those screws to see. Anyone else?

Buzz

Has anyone had an issue when using the LEFT turn signal position and the turn signal arm stays stuck in the down position? In which one needs to physically move the turn signal arm back to its neutral position? Once you move the lever back to the neutral position the turn signal will not self cancel even after turning full deflection of the steering wheel to the left and back to the right. The right turn upwards does not have this issue. Im wondering if the factory over torqued those torx screws mentioned on the original posting. I might dig into the steering column and readjust those screws to see. Anyone else?

Buzz

Bump...

can anyone confirm if this is the only assembly needed if all else fails and one has to buy an oem ford part on their own?

EB5Z-13341-BA Turn Indicator/Multi Function
part is $45.00 at a local ford dealer.

TXAggie on post #22 stated it costs around $70.00 I was wondering if it is the same part that I just listed.

Buzz

Why not have the dealer fix it under warranty?

Peter

Why not have the dealer fix it under warranty?

Peter

Same reason many others have posted on this thread; "ops check good". Nothing to fix or replace by two different ford dealerships. My friend also has a 14 sport with the same issue. He too was turned down for warranty work.

Buzz

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe this is the first indication of this issue with a 2014 model. It seemed to be a common problem with the 2013s and several owners were successful in getting it repaired under warranty. Your description of the problem, however, differs a bit from the original one. That complaint was about it being very difficult to push the lever up and down. I don't think there were any issues with it not cancelling. In any case, good luck with the DIY fix.:thumbsup:

Peter

Back