• Register Today It's free!

chain rattle

brent.daily

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Ynez, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
1999 with SOHC, 130K; sounds like timing chain rattles @ idle, air conditioner on or off. Passed smog recently
Information from books says to replace timing chains requires engine removal; however I have heard about an aftermarket tensioner "fix". How do I find out more, where do I get this item and what do I ask for, and is it possible for a capable home mechanic to install without engine removal?
Thanks
Is this the M0012 kit?

Search here. Lots of info. Or hang tight, someone will be along to spoon feed you some links.

1999 with SOHC, 130K; sounds like timing chain rattles @ idle, air conditioner on or off. Passed smog recently
Information from books says to replace timing chains requires engine removal; however I have heard about an aftermarket tensioner "fix". How do I find out more, where do I get this item and what do I ask for, and is it possible for a capable home mechanic to install without engine removal?
Thanks
Is this the M0012 kit?

the M0012 kit replaces the front hydraulic chain tensoiner, adds an oil drain galley restriction tube and includes intake manifold gaskets/0-rings. if the problem is the tensioner it may fix the problem, but if the problem is broken cassettes the engine, or the transmission, has to be removed to access the rear cassette. the M0012 kit can be installed without removing the engine.

replacing the cassettes is a big job requiring special tools to hold the cams.

Back