Ford Offering Free Motorcraft Brakepad Replacements To Customers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Offering Free Motorcraft Brakepad Replacements To Customers

peterk9

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Aviator Reserve 201A
Callsign
VE3
Just read this on the Ford Authority 'newsletter'.

"Ford has announced a new program which offers customers a no-cost replacement of Motorcraft brake pads on their vehicle from any Ford or Lincoln dealer or Quick Lane Tire & Auto Center.
The point-of-sale program, which began on July 1st, is available to any Ford, Lincoln or Mercury vehicle owner whose pads have worn down at least 3 millimeters. Customers must still pay for the cost of labor and installation and must present their service advisor with their repair order or vehicle identification number at the service center.
“This program reflects our commitment to providing customers with an excellent ownership experience regardless of the age of their vehicle,” said Ford Vice President Frederiek Toney. “Plus, when you purchase Motorcraft parts at a Ford or Lincoln dealer, or a Quick Lane Tire & Auto Center, you know you’re getting the right parts installed by the right people. Motorcraft parts are the officially recommended parts for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles, and these technicians are factory-trained and certified to service our products.”
Commercial vehicles are also eligible for the program, except for taxis, limousines and postal, police, towing and emergency vehicles, Ford says."

Read more: http://motrolix.com/2014/08/ford-of...rakepad-replacements-customers/#ixzz39cVIuyh1

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting. Does not say how long it will last. It does not appear to be a recall related program. Will sure make it more attractive to change brakes more frequently.

An attractive offer to lure more customers but brake pads don't cost much compared to labor. It would be great if they could include rotors in the package.

An attractive offer to lure more customers but brake pads don't cost much compared to labor. It would be great if they could include rotors in the package.

Yep. Just trying yo get you in - and find more things to fix.

Other then to get you in why are they doing this?

I believe there have been more issues concerning rotors and calipers than brake pads. Perhaps they (Ford) think that if you change the pads more often then there might be fewer rotor issues??:dunno:

Peter

Free aint free if you have to buy the rest of the brake job to get them.

If I could take my old set in and get a free new set, then that would be free.

I'd be leery of unscrupulous dealers finding problems you don't have. Your annual state inspection (most all states) is required to check your brakes and rotors. A good independent mechanic will tell you during inspection if the rotors have worn to the point they need to be replaced or if they have cracks, score marks, heat spots or are warped and they need to be replaced - but if they say this, make sure they show you the problem and visually confirm it.

A principled dealer repair shop can also use this as an opportunity to upsell needed worn rotors, with that whole job most likely being cheaper at an indie.

Heck, just replacing the pads may be the same at an indie even with the indie charging you for the pads.

Free aint free if you have to buy the rest of the brake job to get them.

If I could take my old set in and get a free new set, then that would be free.
There is nothing stating that you have to buy anything other parts to get the free pads. The only stipulation seems to be the amount of pad wear to qualify and that you pay for the labour to install them.

Peter

"Customers must still pay for labor and installation". That ain't free.

Or am I misreading something?

A good mechanic can change front pads in about 30 minutes. Remove tire, take out one caliper pin, rotate up, pull pads, replace pads, lube pins, replace tire. Repeat other side.

Am I wrong?

The brake pads are free. I'm guessing the labour cost is likely more than the cost of the pads themselves. I think I'd rather pay for the pads and get free installation and labour.;)

Peter

With backups on parts for recall and warranty issues for Exs, long waits for service of any warranty or recall issues, I would be suprised they would do this only to get people in the door.

Is it possible that some brake/warping/wear issues on Fords are due to the prior pads and new pads are intended to help
reduce those problems?

Who is going to be the guinea pig???? I want to know how much the labor charge is. Also would like to be able to supply my own rotors to change, although I'm guessing the Ford shop will not install anything other than Ford parts.

Better yet Adam, who is going to go in and ask for the free pads and say it will be a DIY project? :D It probably won't be me. All my leases run out before the brakes do.

Peter

Here is the official Ford release:

Ford Offers Motorcraft Brake Pad Replacement Guarantee

• New point-of-sale program at Ford and Lincoln dealerships and Quick Lane Tire & Auto Centers provides consumers with no-cost replacement of Motorcraft brake pads purchased as of July 1, 2014; program applies to passenger vehicles and certain commercial vehicles

• Motorcraft brake pads that have worn down to less than three millimeters will be eligible for no-cost replacement; labor and other parts are not included

• The offer applies to Motorcraft brake pads replaced on a Ford, Lincoln or Mercury vehicle

DEARBORN, Mich., August 4, 2014 – Ford Motor Company has launched a new point-of-sale program at Ford and Lincoln dealerships and Quick Lane Tire & Auto Centers that provides consumers with no-cost replacement of Motorcraft brake pads purchased as of July 1, 2014.

Motorcraft brake pads that wear down to less than three millimeters will be eligible for no-cost replacement as long as the customer owns the vehicle. Customers must still pay labor and installation costs for replacing the brakes, as well as the cost of other parts needed to return the brake system to original operating condition. This offer, called "Lifetime Brake Pad Guarantee," applies to Motorcraft brakes replaced on any Ford, Lincoln or Mercury passenger vehicle and certain commercial vehicles.

To qualify for replacement brakes, customers will need to present their service advisor with their repair order or vehicle identification number.

"This program reflects our commitment to providing customers with an excellent ownership experience regardless of the age of their vehicle," said Frederiek Toney, vice president, Ford Motor Company and president, Ford Customer Service. "Plus, when you purchase Motorcraft parts at a Ford or Lincoln dealer, or a Quick Lane Tire & Auto Center, you know you're getting the right parts installed by the right people. Motorcraft parts are the officially recommended parts for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles, and these technicians are factory-trained and certified to service our products."

Except for taxi, limousine, postal, police, towing or emergency vehicles, commercial vehicles are also eligible for the program. Racing vehicles are not eligible.

It seems to me this does not cover original pads. You must first buy new pads from Ford and then have them worn down to less than 3mm. So in essence, this program would provide the third set of pads for free.

Am I wrong?

My understanding is that any pads requiring replacement on eligible vehicles after July 1st are included in this program.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It seems to me this does not cover original pads. You must first buy new pads from Ford and then have them worn down to less than 3mm. So in essence, this program would provide the third set of pads for free.

Am I wrong?

Good point. The factory uses Ford parts, not Motorcraft.
http://www.fordparts.com/landing/ourbrands.aspx

The FORD box parts are the EXACT same part you get on your truck as it was built at the assembly plant.

the Motorcraft is the certified part dealers and ones you buy boxed as Motorcraft replacements.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1333014&SUB=1333027

Back