Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

No such thing as 17 " Interceptor wheels.

All Police wheels are 18 inch so they can be interchanged on large fleets.

The difference between the OEM Interceptor wheel and another OEM retail black steel wheel is the engineering.

The police wheels are designed for maximum brake cooling and ventilation. Check out the large holes vs the small ones on the 17in wheel.

They are also tested to survive multiple curb strikes at speed.

Yeah that's why I'm interested in Interceptor wheels as opposed to base model steelies, but I'd prefer 17" for snow tires. I was just wondering if a different vehicle had 17" PI wheels that would work

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah that's why I'm interested in Interceptor wheels as opposed to base model steelies, but I'd prefer 17" for snow tires. I was just wondering if a different vehicle had 17" PI wheels that would work
As mentioned, I guess there are no custom 17" PI wheels. The PI pictured in post 58 has the 17" wheels but they appear to be the standard ones. Why not just use those like some of us do?

Peter

As mentioned, I guess there are no custom 17" PI wheels. The PI pictured in post 58 has the 17" wheels but they appear to be the standard ones. Why not just use those like some of us do?

Peter

Post #58 shows a first generation pre-production 18" Interceptor wheel, not 17"

This pre-production wheel has the small ventilation holes and was redesigned to the new style Interceptor wheel because the brake cooling required to pass the LASD brake testing wasn't sufficient with this older design.

Post #58 shows a first generation pre-production 18" Interceptor wheel, not 17"

This pre-production wheel has the small ventilation holes and was redesigned to the new style Interceptor wheel because the brake cooling required to pass the LASD brake testing wasn't sufficient with this older design.
I was just going by a reply I received in post 72 that said they were 17". It is identical in appearance to the 17" Base model wheels I have and that are pictured in post 50. In any case, I have my Base model 17's and they work perfectly to replace the 20's. Now I just hope they don't fool around with the sizes on the 2015 models.;)

Peter

Whew... That's waaaay to close for my comfort. :)

Anyone using Blizzaks

Just wondering if anyone is using Blizzaks for there winter rubber. Just wondering how they handle the snow. I'm coming from a GMC 2500HD with BFG Mud Terrains that I hand siped. It was a very uneventful ride in the snow. I've been looking around at different snows and the Blizzaks seem very well rated. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kevin

Player1

Just wondering if anyone is using Blizzaks for there winter rubber. Just wondering how they handle the snow. I'm coming from a GMC 2500HD with BFG Mud Terrains that I hand siped. It was a very uneventful ride in the snow. I've been looking around at different snows and the Blizzaks seem very well rated. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kevin

I haven't had a chance to use them on my 2013 Explorer Sport yet but I have used them for two winters on my wifes 2012 Honda CRV and they are great in the snow! Our confidence level greatly increased when we put them on from the stock tires. I'm sure they would be great on an Explorer.

Kevin
There are a few posts in this thread on Blizzaks. You may also want to check out; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337557&highlight=blizzak

Peter

Anybody gone to a winter setup with 18's?

Eticket, I have moved your post (above) to this thread on Winter tires and wheels.

Peter

Anybody gone to a winter setup with 18's?

I did. I picked up a set of 18x9 wheels and blizzak tires. The wheels were alloys on clearance, the blizzaks were 1 season used on craigslist, and i grabbed 4 sensors from rockauto. In the end I had a full setup for $650.

2013-11-25%2B08.41.05.jpg

That's why I'm running 245/65R17 Winter tires on my Limited.

Peter

I noticed you have a 2014 MKT, I had the 2010 MKT.

I kept the set of my MKT 20" Rims with the Blizzak DM V-1 255/45/R20 101 R snow tires.

My question, will the rims and tires fit the 2014 Sport?

Thanks,

That's a good question that I really don't have a firm answer for. I would think that they should fit. The bolt patterns on my MKT and the Explorer wheels seem to be the same but I'm not sure about the rest. I'm trying to find out right now if the Explorer steel 18" wheels will fit the MKT. I have the dealer's parts manager trying to get an answer on that. Hoping to use the Blizzak DM-V1 tires. I had the 17" BFG Winter Slaloms on the Ex but they don't come in the right size for the MKT.

Peter

I did. I picked up a set of 18x9 wheels and blizzak tires. The wheels were alloys on clearance, the blizzaks were 1 season used on craigslist, and i grabbed 4 sensors from rockauto. In the end I had a full setup for $650.

2013-11-25%2B08.41.05.jpg

Looks awesome. It's a sharp setup...

That's a good question that I really don't have a firm answer for. I would think that they should fit. The bolt patterns on my MKT and the Explorer wheels seem to be the same but I'm not sure about the rest. I'm trying to find out right now if the Explorer steel 18" wheels will fit the MKT. I have the dealer's parts manager trying to get an answer on that. Hoping to use the Blizzak DM-V1 tires. I had the 17" BFG Winter Slaloms on the Ex but they don't come in the right size for the MKT.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks

I noticed you have a 2014 MKT, I had the 2010 MKT.

I kept the set of my MKT 20" Rims with the Blizzak DM V-1 255/45/R20 101 R snow tires.

My question, will the rims and tires fit the 2014 Sport?

Thanks,

They will fit. The same motorcraft rotor part#s are called out on the 2010 MKT and the 2014 Explorer sport. Given its the same platform and use the same brakes the wheels are interchangeable.

They will fit. The same motorcraft rotor part#s are called out on the 2010 MKT and the 2014 Explorer sport. Given its the same platform and use the same brakes the wheels are interchangeable.

Bigmoose15,

Now I have an excellent set of winter wheels & tires for the upcoming winter.

Thanks,

Winter Tires for the XLT

I bought 4 Cooper Weather-Master WSC winter tires for my XLT. 245 60 R18 same as original size. I received them yesterday but will probably not have them installed until mid-November.

They look good, and look like they should have good bite in snow. Time will tell.

CooperTires-2_zps119c14e8.jpg

CopperTires-1_zps4e58b642.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back