Engine Coolant Leaking after replacing hose clamp | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Coolant Leaking after replacing hose clamp

JA321

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello All,

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer XLT. Today I noticed that there was coolant leaking on the lower radiator hose at the clamp. So I went out and bought a new clamp and replaced it. Now I Refilled with new coolant. After I turn on the truck there are no leaks. However after it runs for minutes it starts leaking from it looks like both sides of the radiator. It never did this before. Any ideas on what I did?

There is one more thing I noticed. After I shut it of it sounded like a hissing coming from the radiator.

Please let me know if you need more info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A picture of the leaking area might be nice.
OE clamps don't usually fail and the hose can bond to the radiator.
The radiator may have failed itself. The crack may not show until it's hot. I f look around where the hose attaches.

11bkmx5.jpg

t8kf2v.jpg

Here are some pics. hopefully it works

Are you sure it wasn't leaking at the same point and traveling down the hose, which made it look like a leak at the clamp? I'd wash the entire area, start it up, and climb under it with a bright light until you identify where it's actually coming from.

Thank you for the reply. No I am not sure if it was running down the line or not. I guess it is too late now...But before it was a very slow drip and it was not dripping on both sides. Now it is dripping from both sides very quickly. It does not drip when it is off. It only drips after it has been running for a few minutes.

What are the chances of both sides of the radiator start leaking or going bad?
And why do you think it would start leaking really bad just but replacing the clamp?

Since I didn't know what I was doing. when I removed the clamp and removed the hose the fluid came racing out. I did catch the fluid in a container. But all the fluid came out. So I put the hose and clamp back on. And refilled the coolant with prestone coolant from walmart.

One other thing: Did you use a 50/50 pre-mix coolant, or mix it yourself? You don't want to run pure antifreeze. Usually the container will tell you if you aren't sure.

Rent a fully refundable cooling system pressure tester from most larger auto parts stores. Instant leak detection without guessing.

I did us a 50/50 mix.It came premixed. It said not to add any water.Where would I find the radiator cap? There is nothing on top the radiator. Someone else said it is completely sealed radiator.

Thanks again everyone

I did us a 50/50 mix.It came premixed. It said not to add any water.Where would I find the radiator cap? There is nothing on top the radiator. Someone else said it is completely sealed radiator.

Thanks again everyone

Mine is on top of the coolant recovery tank (surge tank) and is rated at 16 psi. It's plastic and clicks like a fuel cap, so it doesn't look like the metal cap most people are familiar with.

I.Where would I find the radiator cap? There is nothing on top the radiator. Someone else said it is completely sealed radiator.

Thanks again everyone

The radiator cap is on your "coolant recovery tank" mounted on the passenger side fender in the engine compartment. The old cap should have the PSI rating marked on top of it like "16 or 18 PSI" and this is where you would connect up a pressure testing device from the parts store.

As Swshawaii said, "rent coolant pressure tester" from auto parts store. I think you probably had a small leak/crack in your radiator tank. The tanks are the black plastic sides of the radiator. When you pulled the hose off the tank bottom, you probably stressed the crack and made it worst. I'm assumed the hose was hard to remove and you had to twist and tug to get the hose off...right? I would say that a new radiator my be in your future. Post back your fix.

My money is on your radiator leaking. I had this happen last year and had a radiator replacement to do. Not an awful job if you've done one before on another vehicle.

Back