• Register Today It's free!

AWD transfer case problem

brycerick

Reaction score
City, State
Tomahawk, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer 5.0
I have a 96 AWD 5.0, My transfer case is pretty well shot. Whenever I let off the gas it rattles and sounds life the driveshaft it hitting, its not hitting anything. I was wondering if anyone knows a way to disconnect the front driveshaft and still be able to drive it. Or will it hurt or help anything to drain the t case and fill it with 80-90?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

many people remove the front drive shaft and drive it normally. usually that is what cheap people do where their transfer case goes lol. search around and you will see. you also have to watch how you park because it will drift in park. about a foot an hour if your on a decent incline.

many people remove the front drive shaft and drive it normally. usually that is what cheap people do where their transfer case goes lol. search around and you will see. you also have to watch how you park because it will drift in park. about a foot an hour if your on a decent incline.
I can't take it off, without the front shaft it won't move

Mine was getting real noisy a few months ago, I drained it and refilled with new ATF, and it is now quite again. What came out was super black, so the new fluid was for sure needed. I am not so sure about 80w90 being a good idea either. I would change the fluid and see if it helps you out.

Ya definitely change the fluid first, I have an AWD case that works flawlessly if you wanted to buy one. 100,000 miles on it

Mine was getting real noisy a few months ago, I drained it and refilled with new ATF, and it is now quite again. What came out was super black, so the new fluid was for sure needed. I am not so sure about 80w90 being a good idea either. I would change the fluid and see if it helps you out.

If not 80W/90, then what would you suggest?

Also, what's the best way to drain it? Do I need gaskets and silicone?

I have a 97 5.0 AWD XLT that I just bought (179K miles) and want to do this as something of a preventative maintenance thing, along with the rear diff. Transmission shifts good and motor still pulls strong as well so for now, it's fluids and hope it lasts!

The transfer case takes Mercon transmission fluid but many people suggest the newer synthetic Mercon V. No gaskets or sealer needed, it just has two 3/8" square drive plugs on the back side of the transfer case. Remove the fill plug first to be sure you can remove it then the drain plug.
The transfer case is one of the easiest systems to drain/refill. I think it takes just under 1.5 quarts and one of those hand pumps that screw into the top of the fluid container is well worth the $5.

I think it's well past a fluid change fixing it, I've been driving it with the noise since december, but i'll try and see if it helps

I think it's well past a fluid change fixing it, I've been driving it with the noise since december, but i'll try and see if it helps

Make sure you use atf fluid, not 80-90 weight for the transfer case.

Back