Noisy limited slip rear differential | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noisy limited slip rear differential

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer
I have a 2003 Explorer EB with the V8 and towing package (3.73 limited slip rear diff). I started to get kind of a growling noise from the rear diff a while ago. It only occurs when turning with power applied------like starting from a stop and turning. I changed the fluid using a synthetic (not Mobil 1) 75w-140 and some limited slip additive I bought at NAPA. Noise only got worse. I changed the fluid again using Mobil 1 75w-140 and Ford's additive. Still growls when turning with power applied.

No noise when going straight ahead even when pulling a 3500 lb boat/trailer.

Is this something I have to live with (110,000 miles) or is there some solution??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the links. It looks like the best thing is to get a couple more tubes of Ford's friction modifier.

Just a followup. After putting in a total of 3 tubes of Ford's friction modifier and letting the wife drive it for a while, I took it for a drive this weekend. The shuddering that was there immediately after changing the fluid (and a few days later) is now gone. Must have taken some time for the clutch plates to absorb the new fluid.

Just a followup. After putting in a total of 3 tubes of Ford's friction modifier and letting the wife drive it for a while, I took it for a drive this weekend. The shuddering that was there immediately after changing the fluid (and a few days later) is now gone. Must have taken some time for the clutch plates to absorb the new fluid.

Glad you resolved it! I was about to read the "riot act"! imp

Back