Winter tire shopping in Canada suck.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter tire shopping in Canada suck....

xyf80

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Not sure if you guys are starting winter tire shopping or not, I just did a few search on winter tire for Canada, it is really suck here....

Tried tirerack, a set of Blizzak DM-V1 Tires 245/60R18 plus rim plus TPMS is 2000+ dollars, the tire alone is only marked 660 dollar, however plus shipping and handling etc it is getting crazy...

And I also looked tirebuyer in states, the tire is 157 each and the shipping is free!!!

Can anyone in Canada have past experience give me some advice on cost saving? Appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Too early where I live to start winter tire shopping, I won't do that for another month.

Not sure if you guys are starting winter tire shopping or not, I just did a few search on winter tire for Canada, it is really suck here....

Tried tirerack, a set of Blizzak DM-V1 Tires 245/60R18 plus rim plus TPMS is 2000+ dollars, the tire alone is only marked 660 dollar, however plus shipping and handling etc it is getting crazy...

And I also looked tirebuyer in states, the tire is 157 each and the shipping is free!!!

Can anyone in Canada have past experience give me some advice on cost saving? Appreciated

I always go to the US to get my tires but this is because I am close to the border. In Canada you can expect to spend about $1200+taxes just for the set of rubbers. If you buy in the US, you can save up to 40% off depending on the brand and model of the tire.

What I did was go and buy 4 steel rims from Ford. It was about $500 taxes in. Then I went and shopped on tirerack.com to buy the tires and TPMS. I then had it shipped to the nearest garage across the border and went there to get them mounted, balanced and installed.

In total, I spent about $1500 with a 45 minute drive to the border and back. If you have the option to buy in the US, this is your best bet.

xyf80: I found that there was a better selection available, and at a better price point by just slightly changing the stock tire size. Though I can't speak to what canadian pricing will look like, you might try adjusting the tire size to find a better deal. This site will tell you what acceptable tires will go on your rims, and this site will help you compare your stock tire size to a new tire size. Try to keep the old tire size within about 3% of the new size if you can, but I've seen plenty of places say to keep the size within 5 or even 7%. Also it is better to go with a thinner, taller tire for winter driving. While you are decreasing the size of your contact patch, you also cut through will cut through snow; on dry surfaces or on ice the pressure on that smaller patch of rubber will increase friction.

What are you paying for wheels? Are they the steel Ford ones? When I put Winter wheels on my 2011 Limited, I went with 17". The entire package, wheels, tires, TPMS and wheel covers cost me $1556 before tax. Everything bought from my Ford dealership.
My current OEM size is 245/50R20 and I'm going with the Ford steel 18" wheels and likely the Blizzak DM-V1 tires. The dealer quoted me, I believe, $100 for each wheel and the tires will be $878.96. If bought after Oct. 15 you will received a $70 VISA prepaid card. Ford's slogan is that they won't be undersold on tires. Costco not included. It looks like my cost including TPMS will come in at around $1500 to $1600 + tax.

Peter

Too early where I live to start winter tire shopping, I won't do that for another month.
I guess it all depends on where you live. I usually have the Winters put on around the end of October since we don't usually get any real Winter weather until November. Some members may not be as fortunate and will want them installed much earlier. And for our 'Southern' members they are likely sitting back enjoying all this wondering what a 'Winter Tire' is. ;)

Peter

I always go to the US to get my tires but this is because I am close to the border. In Canada you can expect to spend about $1200+taxes just for the set of rubbers. If you buy in the US, you can save up to 40% off depending on the brand and model of the tire.

What I did was go and buy 4 steel rims from Ford. It was about $500 taxes in. Then I went and shopped on tirerack.com to buy the tires and TPMS. I then had it shipped to the nearest garage across the border and went there to get them mounted, balanced and installed.

In total, I spent about $1500 with a 45 minute drive to the border and back. If you have the option to buy in the US, this is your best bet.

I was thinking about the same thing, however for me to drive to the border city and drive back requires 5 hour :( Very good advice for cost saving, thanks!

What are you paying for wheels? Are they the steel Ford ones? When I put Winter wheels on my 2011 Limited, I went with 17". The entire package, wheels, tires, TPMS and wheel covers cost me $1556 before tax. Everything bought from my Ford dealership.
My current OEM size is 245/50R20 and I'm going with the Ford steel 18" wheels and likely the Blizzak DM-V1 tires. The dealer quoted me, I believe, $100 for each wheel and the tires will be $878.96. If bought after Oct. 15 you will received a $70 VISA prepaid card. Ford's slogan is that they won't be undersold on tires. Costco not included. It looks like my cost including TPMS will come in at around $1500 to $1600 + tax.

Peter

Wow, for tires of 4 878.96 is better price than tire rack to my postal code. Thanks for your tip, I will contact my local dealer for a quote on winter tire

Another question for you is when you go off the border down to states, do you have to stay there longer than 48 hours in order to get the 800 dollar allowance? Or you wait till the tire is wear out and dump the old one get those brand new ones.

I wait until it's time to change the rubber on mine. It's only an hour drive for me. Get tires for half the price.

I wait until it's time to change the rubber on mine. It's only an hour drive for me. Get tires for half the price.

Can you drive there with those and drive back with additional without paying all duty, fees etc? According to strict requirement, you can not just buy stuff without pay all the others without 24 hour

I bought the exact same tire (only 17" size" and 17" alloy rims for my Ex at Tire Rack and saved over $600.00 CDN versus what I could buy them in Canada for and that included $300.00 in shipping. So I'm not sure why you are having a hard time. Mind you I purchased mine in 2012, so I haven't looked at any tire pricing lately....

I bought the exact same tire (only 17" size" and 17" alloy rims for my Ex at Tire Rack and saved over $600.00 CDN versus what I could buy them in Canada for and that included $300.00 in shipping. So I'm not sure why you are having a hard time. Mind you I purchased mine in 2012, so I haven't looked at any tire pricing lately....

The tire I am looking is 245/60/18 and a set of they tirerack is quote 664 and shipping is 353. With the 18' rim and TPMS it come to 2019 dollar shipped. If I am living in 260 KM south, the price is only 1500 dollar shipped. Mind you the rim I am looking at could be a factor as it is now there is no black steel rim, so I have to pick 137*4 dollar rim.

Not sure if you're saying that there isn't an 18" steel rim or not. The last part of your post is a bit confusing. There is an 18" steel black rim you can use. In fact it would likely be the same one I'm replacing the 20" OEM ones with on my MKT. I believe the dealer quoted $100 each.

Peter

Not sure if you're saying that there isn't an 18" steel rim or not. The last part of your post is a bit confusing. There is an 18" steel black rim you can use. In fact it would likely be the same one I'm replacing the 20" OEM ones with on my MKT. I believe the dealer quoted $100 each.

Peter

I am saying there isn't any 18'' steel rim you can buy from tirerack for now. Agree I might buy the 18'' steel rim in the dealer.

I found that there are quite a few sites that don't offer the steel black rim. I know when I was buying the 17" ones for my previous Limited and quoted $99 each from the dealer, a member from the Florida area said that down there the price was around $300 - $400 each.

Peter

There's a tire retailer in Buffalo that will sell you winter tires, and store your summer tires for you. Or, take 4 people across the border, and have each claim exemption of 1 tire (isn't there a $400 exemption per person on HST?) No way would I pay Canadian prices if I was within an hour or two from the border.

Do they honestly even check to see where you purchased your tires? I mean unless you go thru a tiny border crossing and get the same guard entering and leaving, the odds of border protection / customs noticing your tires changed stateside are incredibly unlikely.

Now I'm not saying if you live close to the border you should just drive across, buy new tires, return and never tell the government... but it seems like that would be an easy and victimless thing to do. You'll certainly get no negative judgement from me if you were to do that.

Do they honestly even check to see where you purchased your tires? I mean unless you go thru a tiny border crossing and get the same guard entering and leaving, the odds of border protection / customs noticing your tires changed stateside are incredibly unlikely.

Now I'm not saying if you live close to the border you should just drive across, buy new tires, return and never tell the government... but it seems like that would be an easy and victimless thing to do. You'll certainly get no negative judgement from me if you were to do that.

I am not having negative judgement on you we all paid enough duty etc to government:) The point is when you cross boarder they will look your car and ask what are you doing over there, and they might take a look at your trunk, as thing could happen as you re enter the boarder then it would be hard to explain what are you doing over there after all. This could be minor though as I would think they probably wont do that very often unless you are very very suspicious

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try Discount Tire as well, I have ordered from there and Tire Rack and the prices are usually pretty competitive between the two, with one typically being a bit less expensive for the same package.

And to save the whole do-I/don't-I declare the purchase at the border, Discount incorporates border fees into their price and can ship direct and save you the hassle.

Although, for $300 in shipping and duty costs (think what you would pay at the border anyway if you're being honest) simply driving there might be worth the trip.

Back