new JLT Oil Separator | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new JLT Oil Separator

Your engine does not know if your auto-crossing or daily commuting. (or cruising the interstate at 80 mph)

I have had mine installed for several months now and it "catches" several tablespoons of oil per every 2-3 thousand miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Needed on all cars??

I see a lot of mods aimed towards the Sport.

For those of us who have a good old fashion regular XLT, 40k miles at 3 years, would this be something recommended??

Your engine does not know if your auto-crossing or daily commuting. (or cruising the interstate at 80 mph)

I have had mine installed for several months now and it "catches" several tablespoons of oil per every 2-3 thousand miles.

The autocrossing comment was related to the sustained lateral g-force loading experienced in that kind of event, depending on where the PCV valve is in relation to the axis of movement you can ingest a TON of oil. So yes, your engine does know if you're autocrossing. Cruising down the highway at 80 is not providing any kind of abnormal lateral load that would cause ingestion.

If you're collecting material, then it is worthwhile. Others in the thread have stated they never catch anything in the can.

corpflyboy, how has this been working for you?

As Advertised.

I just ordered one...

I pulled a sample from the oil the Steelership had in it.
I was not pleased with the results.

I upgraded the lube and ordered the separator

I will pull another sample in 4-5000 miles

Here is the result from my sample

explorer1stsample.jpg

Wow! I see the fuel/oil number...Hopefully the oil trapped in the JLT is the fuel/oil material that spiked that SOAP analysis you did. When I used to fly piston aircraft, oil analysis checks were the norm. Rare to see it performed with cars/trucks. Thanks for posting!

Buzz

Being in the oil biz I do them all the time. Big trucks use it to determine Oil change interval

I also do them for my race teams.

I'm guessing the oil I drained out is non synthetic. I may wait to install the jlt after I have a few thosand miles on the AMSOIL.

Being in the oil biz I do them all the time. Big trucks use it to determine Oil change interval

I also do them for my race teams.

I'm guessing the oil I drained out is non synthetic. I may wait to install the jlt after I have a few thosand miles on the AMSOIL.

Understandable.

Good Luck!

EZ Install

While you are poking your head under the hood, you might as well perform the blow off valve treatment. Since you cant get a good exhaust note out of this steed, you might as well make some blow off valve swoosh sounds.

Another ez task to perform with a cold engine bay.

Buzz

Understandable.

Good Luck!

EZ Install

While you are poking your head under the hood, you might as well perform the blow off valve treatment. Since you cant get a good exhaust note out of this steed, you might as well make some blow off valve swoosh sounds.

Another ez task to perform with a cold engine bay.

Buzz

Yeah, is there a thread on here for that too ?

........I'm guessing the oil I drained out is non synthetic. I may wait to install the jlt after I have a few thosand miles on the AMSOIL.
I believe all the models for the U.S. market come from the factory with the synthetic blend oil.

Peter

I believe all the models for the U.S. market come from the factory with the synthetic blend oil.

Peter

It had 19,000 miles on it. So I hope it had a oil change or 2. But none the less that oil that was in there did not hold up. Not sure what the dealer uses to service their cars.

Ok installed mine today. was a piece of cake

Not sure if the lines were suppose to come with, but being in the AMSOIL biz, I had some laying around from a Bypass Filter set up.

A6EEE5CF-B99A-4E9A-B498-73040D2674C4.jpg

AEF55835-8C2B-4154-8C95-A000A8DDD947.jpg

As far as the plastic cover rubbing, I just trimmed the end a little to allow it to clear the hose.

DEBA8ABB-C835-4A3D-9D16-1A6BA3B5916E.jpg

Yes the lines SHOULD have come with yours! They are lucky you are the one to receive missing parts. Great job!

Buzz

What's the magic about this catch can to make it worth 2x other offerings? The mounting bracket isn't even "custom," you need to drill your own holes etc.

What's the magic about this catch can to make it worth 2x other offerings? The mounting bracket isn't even "custom," you need to drill your own holes etc.

The catch can is actually a decorative shot glass...After 10,000 miles you can enjoy a nice shot of 5W-30. Well worth it!

Buzz

Mine has been on less than 2000 miles
here is a bad photo of what came out of it.
76054DE2-B3C3-4CC0-966B-A45B2D627F4A.jpg

it wasn't pure oil, looked like some water or fuel mixed in it.

I would say the catch can works...

I cleaned it 15 days ago
about 10 ml of oil

E2BE7C0E-561C-483C-9BE3-9002A8FD9E22.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I sent an oil sample off today...I'll post the results when I get them.

Back