Lane Depart/Lane Keep Assist Malfunctioned | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lane Depart/Lane Keep Assist Malfunctioned

burtman

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
Today on my way home from work I was unable to steer the vehicle without using both hand and all my strength (I'm 6'4'' 300 not a weak person). On the display in the dash was a Warning message "Lane Depart/Lane Assist Malfunctioned". was able to pull into a parking lot. After 30 minutes of turning the Explorer on/off the system turned off and I was able to drive it home. Note: I did not have this system turned on and the Icon that would have shown the system on was not present on my dash. Has anyone else had this happen. I am taking into the Dealer in the morning after work !:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know about the Ford Edge, but the Explorers have had issues with power steering going out. Have you checked on a Ford Edge forum to see if other owners have had this problem?

Peter

Today on my way home from work I was unable to steer the vehicle without using both hand and all my strength (I'm 6'4'' 300 not a weak person). On the display in the dash was a Warning message "Lane Depart/Lane Assist Malfunctioned". was able to pull into a parking lot. After 30 minutes of turning the Explorer on/off the system turned off and I was able to drive it home. Note: I did not have this system turned on and the Icon that would have shown the system on was not present on my dash. Has anyone else had this happen. I am taking into the Dealer in the morning after work !:mad:

Hi burtman,

You mentioned an Explorer but your profile says you own an Edge. Which vehicle is experiencing this concern? What's your model year/mileage? I'll check out some options and see what I can do to help.

Crystal

No need to worry. The feeling you were experiencing was not fear nor frustration. You were feeling safer.

I'm a safety engineer by trade, and generally technology advances serve to make life easier and more comfortable. It is also my experience that technology usually races ahead of the ability of designers and engineers to fully understand the downstream effects of new gadgetry.

In this case, there is no practical need for the car to interfere in anyway with steering inputs. None.

If I had the authority, I would order the Ford engineers to conduct in-depth Human Systems Integration analyses on any new technology that allows a driver to be less attentive to the act of driving. The easier driving gets, the less attention drivers will be paying to the road. With this steering system, the driver will be not paying attention when the steering fails.

What do you think the outcome of your incident would have been if your young daughter (if you have one) was at the wheel while cruising around on a 2-lane road in West Virginia?

Hello Crystal, this is on my 2015 Explorer Limited with 4298 miles. Dropped of at Dealership (West Herr Ford Amherst) this morning and waiting to hear from dealership.

I'm really not convinced that all this "driver assist" stuff is a good idea. People need to be more attentive, not less, and this stuff lulls people into a false sense of security.

My XLT only has the back-up sensor (a useful gizmo since you can't see the butt), and I'm quite happy that I don't have all the electronic gizmos trying to take over my driving.

Dealer called and said that the Power Steering unit need to be replaced. Was told that it could take up to three weeks to get the new unit due to a shortage of this part because of so many vehicles that also having problems with their steering. On a up note the dealer is putting me into a Explorer tomorrow and not having me put up with the smaller loaner car(Ford Festiva) that I was given.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the profile update. That sure helps. I think that you are the first owner of a 2015 model to experience this. I would have thought that this would have been taken care of by now. Good luck.

Peter

Hello Crystal, this is on my 2015 Explorer Limited with 4298 miles. Dropped of at Dealership (West Herr Ford Amherst) this morning and waiting to hear from dealership.

Thanks for following up, burtman. It sounds like your dealership is taking good care of you, but if you'd like, I'd be happy to escalate this up to your regional customer service manager (CSM). Just send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll move this up the line. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Update

Dealer called to say that my Vehicle is ready to be picked up. I was very surprise because the Dealer said that the part I needed (power steering unit) is on a nation wide back order but he also said that he knew of two other dealers that had this part in stock and he would do his best to obtain one of them. Nice that I only needed to be in the retail car for three days and not four weeks or more !:thumbsup:

Dealer called to say that my Vehicle is ready to be picked up...

Excellent news, burtman! I'm glad to see that your dealership took great care of you. You know where to find me if you need my help in the future. :)

Crystal

I'm bringing this old thread back as I am now experiencing an issue with the Lane Departure on my 2017 Explorer. Drove the Explorer to work yesterday and there were no issues. Used remote start as I was making the long walk to my car after work, got in, and there was no visual of the lane departure system in the dash. No grid lines or pictograph visible. When safe, I purposely crossed the solid lines to see if the system would work in the background. It did not function. Is this a common problem? Or am I a total moron and turned it off and didn't realize it. Will check when I leave the office. I have an appointment with my dealer next week (not in a hurry), but looking for feedback.

Does it come back on if you press the button in on the turn signal stalk?

Were the front cameras obstructed?

I had no idea there was a button on the turn stalk until I saw it in the owners manual 15 min ago. Will check after work. No obstruction to cameras and vehicle was turned off and on numerous times. I'm suspecting that I accidentally hit the turn signal and didn't even know the on/off was there.

It's right at the end of it, push inward, should blink it back on if it's not there now.

Thanks. Getting ready to head out into stop and go traffic. (Washington DC area traffic sucks!) Will check it when I get in.

Yep, I accidentally turned it off. Now I know the on/off button is at the end of the stalk.

Does it come back on if you press the button in on the turn signal stalk?

Were the front cameras obstructed?
I have 2020 explorer Ltd. Lane keeping worked fine first six months. It stopped working and tech replaced two computer modules and the front camera behind mirror. Sill nothing...it is selected in the driver's assist and the button on end of turn signal stalk is activated. When I reach 40/45 mph, I get display and the sidelines turn green...but still not working. Dealer has pushed it up to ford he, but they have not responded. I no longer get round icon in upper left of instrument cluster. Anyone else experience this? Ford HQ has actually been notified twice, but no response in over two months.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
That is one of a few features I have turned OFF as I find it a bit annoying.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back