2011 low rpm hesitation while stopped | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 low rpm hesitation while stopped

Brilevine

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer limited 4wd
While stopped in park, neutral and drive, sometimes the vehicle rpm drops and revs from idle to almost 0, like it's going to stall but then comes right back up. It's sporadic but when it happens you can see the rpm drop and you can feel it in the vehicle. No issues giving it gas and taking off, only when stopped does this happen.:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could be a number of things, but my first suspect would be the computer control.

You can remove the negative battery cable, turn the key on to discharge remaining current, and then re-connect to reset the computer.

It might work, or might not, but my service mgr tells me that's usually the first thing they try when someone brings an Ex in for service.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

While stopped in park, neutral and drive, sometimes the vehicle rpm drops and revs from idle to almost 0, like it's going to stall but then comes right back up. It's sporadic but when it happens you can see the rpm drop and you can feel it in the vehicle. No issues giving it gas and taking off, only when stopped does this happen.:mad:

How many miles - and how many miles since the IAC has been serviced? Sounds like a classic symptom of a 'sticky' or partially clogged idle air circuit.

How many miles - and how many miles since the IAC has been serviced? Sounds like a classic symptom of a 'sticky' or partially clogged idle air circuit.

The explorer only has 35k miles on it and I just bought it 90 days ago...so I am not sure! Is there an easy way to check or do this myself?

It could be a number of things, but my first suspect would be the computer control.

You can remove the negative battery cable, turn the key on to discharge remaining current, and then re-connect to reset the computer.

It might work, or might not, but my service mgr tells me that's usually the first thing they try when someone brings an Ex in for service.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks, I will try this.....can't hurt!

Thanks, I will try this.....can't hurt!

Let us know if this works for you. I had something similar happen on my Subaru and this fixed my problem. I disconnected the battery, turned on the lights and let it sit over night to make sure there was nothing left in the system. After reattaching and driving around for a bit the problem went away.

I don't believe these models use the IAC system as such anymore. I would look closely at the throttle body assembly and throttle body position sensor.

Hi Brilevine,

I've replied to your posts on a few other threads - send me a PM and I'll look into this, too. Include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

I don't believe these models use the IAC system as such anymore. I would look closely at the throttle body assembly and throttle body position sensor.

I believe you are correct. The system uses fly by wire so there shouldn't be an idle air control valve.

Back