• Register Today It's free!

Auto power door locks not working

mcphbrad88

Reaction score
City, State
Petawawa, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 2000 Eddie Bauer. The door unlock works on driver and passenger door aswell the rear hatch and key fob. The rear hatch will lock all doors but the switch on driver and passenger door and the key fob will not lock the doors. Has anyone had this issue or anyone know how to fix it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well known issue. Look for a wire splice in wiring channel under driver's side rear door. You will find a corroded wire splice with pink/yellow wires. Repair the splice and you will be good to go. Good luck.

Well known issue. Look for a wire splice in wiring channel under driver's side rear door. You will find a corroded wire splice with pink/yellow wires. Repair the splice and you will be good to go. Good luck.

what do you mean, Under the driver side rear door? Where exactly? And thank you for your input.

what do you mean, Under the driver side rear door? Where exactly? And thank you for your input.

Open the rear door and pry up the trim on the bottom of the door opening next to the seat.

common problem. under the d/s rear door sill trim panel you'll see a tape-wrapped bundle of wires. cut the tape off as necessary. you will see a pink wire with a light green stripe. this wire has a splice where 3 wires are joined together. the splice tends to corrode (turns green) and then fails. cut out the splice, slide on a piece of shrink wrap and solder the 3 wires together.

thanks guys. Ill be checking it out soon. Too cold out right now haha.

Note: In the picture the wire looks PINK with a YELLOW tracer, but in the wiring diagram it says PINK with a LIGHT GREEN tracer, which I believe are the actual colors.

Pink/Light Green is the unlock wiring; OP said he was having problems with the lock function, which is Pink/Yellow according to the wiring diagrams I look at. Either way, the messed up splice should be pretty obvious once you pull off the sill plate. Good luck.

Took me some time to get at the job but it worked out. Thanks alot guys.

There are many reasons that can cause the power door locks to not work properly.The main problem is a bad door lock actuator. For this you need to call the locksmith.

There are many reasons that can cause the power door locks not working properly.The main problem is a bad door lock actuator.For this you need to call the locksmith nearby your area.

Spoken like a locksmith... If the problem IS a bad actuator, you don't need a locksmith to replace one. This poster did not need a locksmith. I'm not even sure a locksmith would know where to look for the problem (which is well known issue with Explorers) and I've never known a locksmith to trace and solder wiring.

I have a 2000 Eddie Bauer. The door unlock works on driver and passenger door aswell the rear hatch and key fob. The rear hatch will lock all doors but the switch on driver and passenger door and the key fob will not lock the doors.
My problem is different but involves the power door locks. I'm not sure I can describe any "pattern" to the behavior. All I'm trying to do is unlock the front passenger door while the engine is running so I can jump out and dump my trash basket that is sitting on the front passenger floorboard!

Sometimes, if I set the parking brake, the front-driver's side door unlock will work. Most of the time if won't.

Sometimes, I can use the unlock button (2x-press) on my key fob and it will work. Other times not.

Sometimes I get frustrated and simply reach over and drag the trash basket across and out the driver's side door!

Other times I have to shut off the engine, and double-press my keyfob unlock to get that durn passenger front door to unlock!

[(No offense ladies) I could make more sense out of my mutinying-wife than I can these locks!]

Can anyone describe what is happening? I suspect the unlock button on the front-driver's side may be failing...?

Can anyone describe what is happening? I suspect the unlock button on the front-driver's side may be failing...?

The earlier posts in this thread are probably your answer: you have a wire or wires in the driver's side door jamb wiring boot that is broken/breaking. Pretty easy fix once you find the broken wires. When I did mine, I had one wire broken and another that broke as soon as I started working on the wires.

You could try using a multimeter to find the broken wire, but I found it was faster to release the door jam wiring connector, slide back the rubber boot, and then manually search for broken wires.

The earlier posts in this thread are probably your answer: you have a wire or wires in the driver's side door jamb wiring boot that is broken/breaking. Pretty easy fix once you find the broken wires. When I did mine, I had one wire broken and another that broke as soon as I started working on the wires.

You could try using a multimeter to find the broken wire, but I found it was faster to release the door jam wiring connector, slide back the rubber boot, and then manually search for broken wires.
If you're correct, I had the same nightmare happen on my 2006 Ford Focus (wagon) liftgate harness, only it involved splicing/patching over a dozen wires to repair! I'll have to tackle this once I'm moved and resettled. I'll post an update eventually if/when the problem is located/solved. Thanks for the "clue"!

Back