Wiring aftermarket fog lights to high beams (Help) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiring aftermarket fog lights to high beams (Help)

Hey explorerforum. I know basic wiring but I am trying to stay on the safe side and get opinion on the safest way. I have been forum hopping to see if anybody has done this but haven't found any useful info. My current fog lights do not work because of what I am told "a bad fog light design". Instead of replacing them I want to buy a set of aftermarket fog lights, mount them behind the grille like so:
(Also I should add I do not want to wire them into the factory fog switch or wires)

1323801422t-fog-lights-behind-grille-need-pics-001.jpg

My question is how screwed would I be if I put this setup on my car? :
nfzzoJD.jpg

The main thing I'm worried about is can I tap the highbeam wire then make it go to the switch (As pictured in diagram) or will something go wrong.
Also would I only need an inline fuse leading from the battery to the relay, or are there other fuses I need on the diagram?
Thanks a lot:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can do it. Just tap into the high beam wire, don't cut it and run it to a switch.
Create a T connection at it, run your own wiring back to a switch, then from the switch the the relay.
The rest is simple, wire directly to the fog light bulbs/harness, don't go to the fog light switch.

Good luck, quote me if you need more help. :)

You can do it. Just tap into the high beam wire, don't cut it and run it to a switch.
Create a T connection at it, run your own wiring back to a switch, then from the switch the the relay.
The rest is simple, wire directly to the fog light bulbs/harness, don't go to the fog light switch.

Good luck, quote me if you need more help. :)

Thanks a lot for the info. I still have 1 more question, what type of switch will I need before the relay? Thanks again in advanced.
Also, i'll be sure to post pics when I am done.:thumbsup:
EDIT: Would this relay be able to work with my setup?

Thanks a lot for the info. I still have 1 more question, what type of switch will I need before the relay? Thanks again in advanced.
Also, i'll be sure to post pics when I am done.:thumbsup:
EDIT: Would this relay be able to work with my setup?

Any decent switch would work, aim for about a 30 amp switch and a 30 amp relay. Not sure about that relay since amperage isn't listed on their site.

Keep in mind, you will have voltage running into the switch if you tap into a hot high beam lead. You can try tapping in at the headlamp switch before it goes to the relay, which would allow you to use a lower amp switch. I would recommend doing it that way.. at the switch.

Any decent switch would work, aim for about a 30 amp switch and a 30 amp relay. Not sure about that relay since amperage isn't listed on their site.

Keep in mind, you will have voltage running into the switch if you tap into a hot high beam lead. You can try tapping in at the headlamp switch before it goes to the relay, which would allow you to use a lower amp switch. I would recommend doing it that way.. at the switch.
Do I need the switch? I would like it so that when the highbeams are on the fogs will turn on with them. Or maybe I am just confused a bit.
Do you mean a switch like this:
sk4313.jpg

If you are talking about a switch like pictured above, wouldn't it require me to turn the switch on and have voltage going from the high beams for it to turn on?
Sorry I usually don't mess with wiring, just trying to learn a little.
Also thanks a lot for the info:)

You can do it that way murder, it is simplest like that. Just keep in mind, most of these setups are illegal. I had to pull some off recently, wouldn't pass inspection in VA, even though the state code seems to allow it.

This might help...

I'm using a single on/off/on switch and a relay. This allows me to have total control of my lights and allows me to keep it legal.

Here are the modes I have with the 3 switch positions...
  • UP: LED bar is on
  • MIDDLE: Led Bar is off
  • DOWN: LED bar is on with the high beams

Here is my crude, google drive drawing of my wiring...

16013693319_674478656f_z.jpg
Diagram of my LED bar wiring by maniak_az, on Flickr

~Mark

This might help...

I'm using a single on/off/on switch and a relay. This allows me to have total control of my lights and allows me to keep it legal.

Here are the modes I have with the 3 switch positions...
  • UP: LED bar is on
  • MIDDLE: Led Bar is off
  • DOWN: LED bar is on with the high beams

Here is my crude, google drive drawing of my wiring...

16013693319_674478656f_z.jpg
Diagram of my LED bar wiring by maniak_az, on Flickr

~Mark
Wow thats pretty cool. Thanks a lot for the help!

You can do it that way murder, it is simplest like that. Just keep in mind, most of these setups are illegal. I had to pull some off recently, wouldn't pass inspection in VA, even though the state code seems to allow it.
I know sadly, but I will be using them courteously just like my high beams. They will be off when there's people around.

I understand completely. I was fairly confident my install was legal (halogen driving lights in bumper triggered by high beams with a kill switch on console), but they had to be removed ACCORDING TO THE INSPECTOR. Like I said, state code allows a max four halogen lights at oncoming traffic, which I had. The inspector said the driving lights have to be wired to the low beam, which I think is bunk because the FOGS are wired to the lows, and that would be six lamps, heck I confused now, and was not going to make argument over this.

I understand completely. I was fairly confident my install was legal (halogen driving lights in bumper triggered by high beams with a kill switch on console), but they had to be removed ACCORDING TO THE INSPECTOR. Like I said, state code allows a max four halogen lights at oncoming traffic, which I had. The inspector said the driving lights have to be wired to the low beam, which I think is bunk because the FOGS are wired to the lows, and that would be six lamps, heck I confused now, and was not going to make argument over this.
Hey at least you don't live in California they are strict on everything. Illinois is pretty easy on car modifications.

Back