• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Gage

lwise4

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
10 Explorer Eddie Baur
Does anyone have the schematic for the fuel system? I have a 2000 3.0 4x4 with 175,000 miles on it. In the 6 tears I have had it, the gas gage has never been reliable. I never know how much gas I have nor do I know the capacity of my tank. The owners manual is of no help with this. A few years ago I tried to clean and reseat every connector that I could access in regards to the fuel system but it still was flakey!

Last week the gage was reading near empty and I had driven 210 miles. The low fuel light did not come on and when I fueled up, it took 13.2 gallons. I figure that I am getting around 15 MPG on all around driving so that would match the miles driven to the amount of fuel that I put in.

I have been using the odometer to gage fuel use for years but I would rather have a working gage and some idea of how much my tank holds! This is my second Ranger and I have had 4 Explorers but the others had working gages?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone have the schematic for the fuel system? I have a 2000 3.0 4x4 with 175,000 miles on it. In the 6 tears I have had it, the gas gage has never been reliable. I never know how much gas I have nor do I know the capacity of my tank. The owners manual is of no help with this. A few years ago I tried to clean and reseat every connector that I could access in regards to the fuel system but it still was flakey!

Last week the gage was reading near empty and I had driven 210 miles. The low fuel light did not come on and when I fueled up, it took 13.2 gallons. I figure that I am getting around 15 MPG on all around driving so that would match the miles driven to the amount of fuel that I put in.

I have been using the odometer to gage fuel use for years but I would rather have a working gage and some idea of how much my tank holds! This is my second Ranger and I have had 4 Explorers but the others had working gages?

The float is probably stuck, it happens often on old fuel pumps. Give the tank a firm smack. Should be around 80 something liters.

I agree with pcam13 as being a defective float.

However, if you need a wiring diagram I think this will be useful for this issue and any future issues. Click on the link below and scroll down to bobfloods post #3 .
Follow the sign on directions in his post.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2954012

replace your fuel pump assembly. you're do for a new pump anyway and it will also solve your fuel gauge problem.

Thanks to all. I will try the firm whack and see what happens. If the float were the problem, I would think that the gage would not work at all. It appears that it is correct some of the time? Oh well, too cold to work on it now! It is a job for spring!

Back