Changing Rear Diff Fluid. Any tips thanks! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing Rear Diff Fluid. Any tips thanks!

ccm2001

Reaction score
City, State
Vaughan Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport XLT
03 Sport XLT. Pretty sure its a 8.8 diff

Got 3 Litres of Royal Purple 75w90 with Fritction Modifier already premixed.
RTV black gasket maker.

Now the hard part is opening that damn fill hole. Such a hard location and super tight!
Can I use the rtv instead of a actually gasket?

THANKS - Cody

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RTV is fine. Make sure to scrape off the old gasket from both the diff and the diff cover. Brake cleaner and a gasket scraper make quick work of this.

Get one of those funnels that look like a qt oil bottle with the end cut off with a long bendable tube attached to it. Can't think of the name.

Side note, if needed, clean the ABS sensor while in there.

Side note, if needed, clean the ABS sensor while in there.

There is a abs sensor on the rear diff?
My abs kicks in when I stop making a sharp right turn like at a set of lights

RTV is fine. Make sure to scrape off the old gasket from both the diff and the diff cover. Brake cleaner and a gasket scraper make quick work of this.

Get one of those funnels that look like a qt oil bottle with the end cut off with a long bendable tube attached to it. Can't think of the name.

K thanks.

Think you are past this point, but ALWAYS break loose the fill plug BEFORE you drain the differential!! Really bad to get the old oil out and not have any way to get the new oil in!! When I did mine, the info I got was that there was no gasket for the cover and you had to use RTV - worked like a charm and no issues several years later. Good luck.

I've always use Permatex Black without issue but they make a special product now for diff covers. It is a bit more expensive, and claims to be a bit more forgiving for older scuffed surfaces. I tried it and it worked fine, only time will tell.

When I changed mine, I parked on a slight incline so the old oil would flow out easier. I also had some raggs handy, so I could wipe up anything that wouldnt drain out on its own. After you put the pumpkin back on, let it sit for about an hour so the RTV can set a little. Then refill.

I recommend doing this on a well ventilated area. That diff oil stinks!

Ya I got 75w-140 returned the 75w90 thx god I asked.
It says premixed with friction modifier and got the special rtv gasket maker. As we speak I'm getting ready to pop that drain hole first before anything.

now my drain plug is rusted shut, tried breakerbar nothing! im trying not to strip it,

i came along some threads stating i can remove the Abs Sensor Bolt and fill from above? i took a picture today is this the correct bolt? that bolt is holding the abs line going from 1 wheel to the other , view is looking to the front while under the back.

Try heating the 3/8" square drive fill plug with a propane torch for about 15-20 seconds.
Ford used the same heat activated blue Loctite used on the body mount and torsion bolts.

The FRONT differential specifies 80W-90 conventional or 75W-90 synthetic.
RP fluid with friction modifier "may" still chatter if the XL-3 is not added.

torch scares me because its next to the gas tank

Try heating the 3/8" square drive plug with a propane torch for about 15-20 seconds.
Ford used the same heat activated blue Loctite used on the body mount and torsion bolts.

BTW, the FRONT differential specifies 80W-90 conventional or 75W-90 synthetic.
RP fluid with friction modifier "may" still chatter if the XL-3 is not added.

im doing the rear diff. so i should buy 4oz still of friction modifier and add it to the RP 75w-140? wich already has it premixed?

Using this : http://www.amazon.ca/Royal-Purple-P...e=UTF8&qid=1421962674&sr=1-1&keywords=75w-140

Buy This aswell? : http://www.amazon.ca/Ford-XL-3-Friction-Modifier-Additive/dp/B000NU5LP6

im doing the rear diff. so i should buy 4oz still of friction modifier and add it to the RP 75w-140? wich already has it premixed?
Read quite a few threads saying chatter was present using various brands that included FM.
Use the Motorcraft XL-3, about $6 for a four ounce bottle at the Ford dealer.

so while filling during the second bottle ill throw in the FM and top up as needed

but i wanted to know if there is a second entry rather then that damn plug, if it comes down to it ill torch her out just so much work for simple fluid change and not alot of room under there

Add XL-3 FIRST. Problem with using the VSS sensor is getting the level accurate. Proper level is about 1/8" below the fill hole.

3/8" ratchet without extension for a good fit without slop. Folded aluminum foil to shield the tank, a few seconds is all it takes.

Back