01STrunner's Sport Trac D44 SAS/SOA | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01STrunner's Sport Trac D44 SAS/SOA

A little planning and 4 months later, my Sport Trac finally has a solid axle in the front.

Current Look:
6D0453F1-35E9-4A89-B970-DF0C03BCD82C_zpsrluzy84u.jpg

Front Axle

- Low Pinion Dana 44 from a 1988 Grand Wagoneer
- 6x5.5 bolt pattern
- 4.88 gears (still open diff for now)
- Superwinch manual hubs
- Disc brakes
- Custom spindles tapped for hi-steer
- Custom 1.5"x.25" wall DOM drag link and tie rod
- Stock Grand Wagoneer 7leaf pack flipped to SOA
- Bilstein 5100 shocks (originally for Jeep JK with 6" lift)
- Ford Super Duty steering box (pre-drilled for hydro-assist in the future)
- Drop pitman arm for Super Duty with 4" lift
- Front stainless brake lines for stock Jeep TJ
- Custom sway bar end links
- New Moog ball joints and bushings
- Grand Wagoneer track bar mounted to frame rail

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

good looking build.. I like the way you did the shackle mounts off of the frame, might be borrowing some ideas for my leaf sprung sas

Thanks! I can't take full credit as I had help from Murphys Motorsports in VA. If you're doing leaf springs make sure you use a wider axle than the grand waggy 44 or one with the diff closer to center. My 35x1250s rub on the springs and it pisses me off to no end. Unfortunately the springs are moved as far inboard as they can because the diff is in the way to go any further.

Sounds like you need to get longer bump stop bolts for your steering or get a different wheel with less backspacing/ possibly spacers.

I wish I could afford different wheels. I don't really want to adjust the steering stops just on the off chance that extra couple degrees of turning could help get over something.

Thanks! I can't take full credit as I had help from Murphys Motorsports in VA. If you're doing leaf springs make sure you use a wider axle than the grand waggy 44 or one with the diff closer to center. My 35x1250s rub on the springs and it pisses me off to no end. Unfortunately the springs are moved as far inboard as they can because the diff is in the way to go any further.

I'm not going too hardcore with this build.. my Explorer is still my main wheeler, just thinking a sas ranger would be a nice camping rig. picking up a yj D30 this weekend for it.

I'm not going too hardcore with this build.. my Explorer is still my main wheeler, just thinking a sas ranger would be a nice camping rig. picking up a yj D30 this weekend for it.

That axle would probably line up better especially with the smaller D30 diff. Does the axle still have the leaf springs? That was another big part of me keeping leaves on my 44.

That axle would probably line up better especially with the smaller D30 diff. Does the axle still have the leaf springs? That was another big part of me keeping leaves on my 44.

no springs but the perches are still there. Still trying to figure out what leaf springs to use and locate some wj knuckles for home brew high steer

Either use Grand Waggy springs or Rancho springs like I am. The part number is listed in my build thread. The YJ leafs don't have a strong enough spring rate for our larger trucks.

I used the grand waggy springs on mine and they hold the weight of the ST like its nothing. I actually am considering taking a leaf out to help with flexibility. I could use a little more up travel. As for knuckles I actually used a machines flat top for my steering.

A few pics from last weekend giving the SAS a workout. Sadly no pictures from the harder stuff in the rock gardens but this was a challenging hill climb.

F3F05602-6486-4DA0-A673-DB1175C3FEC7_zpsq3q3n1uh.jpg

D88A50E0-8F02-43C2-BF56-EAC6315AA806_zpspklmicn7.jpg

0E32F172-F0D3-4E37-97E3-607596DF9911_zpsicvdgvqd.jpg

AD234754-E928-4175-8326-D0EF72403044_zpsbylkxn7k.jpg

DEE9E70D-6D39-485E-9DF5-648C87677724_zpsryg4504y.jpg

E7AE2020-05D2-496F-97CB-D274F1E19F5E_zpslzr6nmjf.jpg

Lockers, Lockers, Lockers...

:D

Lol you suck. But you're right. I need them badly

Lockers, Lockers, Lockers...

:D

Lockers, Lockers, Lockers... Or not....

5E75667A-5E59-429D-A538-6161ECFF01F4_zpsj0yhvvt3.jpg

F75B12F9-647B-427B-B64E-C72C534BF028_zpscnxxhrpg.jpg

Waiting on a new tone ring to show up. The lockers are in the carriers, but waiting to reinstall the carriers into the housing.

I like the idea of SAS, but I'm completely new to it. It's something I'd like to do to my truck but I have no idea where to start. It's a future project, not going to be happening any time soon. But I wouldn't mind being spun up on it. Thanks in advance !

I like the idea of SAS, but I'm completely new to it. It's something I'd like to do to my truck but I have no idea where to start. It's a future project, not going to be happening any time soon. But I wouldn't mind being spun up on it. Thanks in advance !

It's the best thing I've done to my rig. I think solid axles are easier to work on and diagnose problems should any arise. The extra travel is amazing compared to my original setup and it's nice to easily find replacement parts. In the end you get a stronger axle with more wheel travel. No real downside except the time and money. I didn't lose any on road characteristics either. She still does 70mph with ease and no vibrations.

So I've noticed that the majority of people use the Dana 44 axle. Is that the main one that is "compatible" with our trucks. Or is there other setups that could be used ?

1st decision you have to make. Do you want full width or narrow width axles? Full width would be say 1 tons from a Super Duty. Narrow width axles maintain pretty much the same track width as our stock axles. Most are Dana 44s because they are stronger and match up to our track width.

I'd want to keep the narrow width, and ok that makes since. So you'd try to find Dana's for the rear as well or is there a different axle that's better for the rear ?

Our stock 8.8 is plenty strong. Most Jeep guys actually swap them into the rear of their Jeeps. For narrow width you'll need a 44 or a 30. I'd suggest a 44 though.

Long time without updates... Everything has been running pretty well. I replaced the front axle shafts with chromo shafts and HD U-joints and haven't had any u-joint issues since then thankfully. After a couple of my trips, I decided to chop the lower half of my bumper cover and gain more approach angle. Basically I have been trying to do things that are free because what I really want to do will be quite expensive and other hobbies are getting in the way of the truck fund.

D02B70EE-E2B9-4C88-BC5C-FB33BB02B2F2_zpsecxh07ey.jpg

F014EFD5-BFA6-417B-810D-8CD1489D1FC8_zpshqivsewo.jpg

Back