Favorite after-market front bumper? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Favorite after-market front bumper?

PStansberry78

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XL
I want to replace my front bumper with something that includes integrated driving/fog lamps. Looking for ideas for your favorite part.

Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only bumpers available are either a custom one from RLC or the prerunner bumper from James Duff, if they even have any.

I guess it depends on whether you like the plate or tube style.

If you're looking for something more 2WD/street/sport truck style, you'll want either the Limited bumper like above, or some kind of fiberglass body kit bumper/airdam.

Also note that you can still buy the stock-look black plastic airdam that mounts to the stock bumper that has the holes in it for fog lights, and/or cut holes in the stock one.

The only bumpers available are either a custom one from RLC or the prerunner bumper from James Duff, if they even have any.

I guess it depends on whether you like the plate or tube style.

If you're looking for something more 2WD/street/sport truck style, you'll want either the Limited bumper like above, or some kind of fiberglass body kit bumper/airdam.

Also note that you can still buy the stock-look black plastic airdam that mounts to the stock bumper that has the holes in it for fog lights, and/or cut holes in the stock one.

That RLC bumper is slick.

If you want "after-market", the bumper from the Limited or one of those heavy duty bumpers are the way to go, just depends on the look you're going for.

On mine, since I don't have the funds or time to start fabricating a new bumper, I just went with some Wal-Mart brand lights...

1457585_540224775155_527671048_n.jpg

Those fog lights fit in the plastic moulding without having to mount a bracket, without having to modify anything on the bumper, have never fallen out, and have that F250-F350 fog light placement look. It is a bit of a struggle to get them aimed though, but they're in so tight, that once you aim them, you don't have to mess with them again. I'm not sure if they still sell those exact lights anymore though...

I plan on grabbing a set of the flush-mount LED fogs and putting them into the stock bumper below the headlights in the near future. A 20" LED bar replaced the halogen driving lights.

10934080_571996524315_967176816036993308_n.jpg

There's a lot you can do to the stock bumper to boost it's appearance...

Get a hold of RockRanger on the forum. He could make you a custom plate bumper with his plasma table. He has a few designs.

My bumper doesn't have cut outs for lights, but that is not very difficult. It is for an XJ, which is the same width as an 91-2000 Explorer. The front ends of the frame were modified to accept XJ bumpers so I can bolt whatever I want on there.

IMG_20150202_172642303_Large_.jpg

1788.jpg

Do you have pics of the modified frame?

Do you have pics of the modified frame?

I don't have any pictures of the modified frame without the bumper on, and I am not going to take it off to get pictures. What we did was cut off the frame rails in front of the first body mounts. plate across the front of the frame with a big piece of 1/2" plate, approximately 6" high and slightly wider than the width of the frame. 1/2" plate mounts welded to the cross plate with gussets. It was very simple.

Back