Larger Tires on OEM & Aftermarket Wheels | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Larger Tires on OEM & Aftermarket Wheels

Widest tire on 20's

Hi, I saw a couple of threads regarding this matter, but wasnt able to get a straight answer...

I want to go as wide as the EX can take, using the OEM 5 spoke 20´s

I was thinking 285 45 R20.... will they fit without rubbing ?

Thanks a lot :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TireRack shows no 45's in that width, but does show them in a 40 series.
Having said that, a 285 is too wide for the stock rim (8'')!
You need at least a 9-11'' (wheel range).

Frank

Hi, I saw a couple of threads regarding this matter, but wasnt able to get a straight answer...

I have merged your thread with the existing one. Just add your question to the existing thread if your question regards the thread topic.

Peter

thanks a lot, will 275s fit the stock limited 20s ?

20 x 9.5" wheels and 275/45/20 Tires

I'm ordering Mach 5 wheels, 20 x 9.5, 35 offset and mounting Falcon 275/45/20. I just want to make sure I'm doing my math correct. The stock rim is 20 x 9 with a 44 offset. My change should add about 6mm to either side of the rim and the offset will add another 9mm. This should kick the rims out about 15mm from stock. Anyone running anything like this? I'm a little worried about rubbing.....

Thanks for any help.

Kevin

Kevin, that size is way beyond the generally accepted maximum 3% diameter variance. It comes out to -4.59%accepted. When checking this out on 1010tires.com, the message that pops up says that exceeding this limit may lead to possible brake failure. I think it will also decrease your mpg figures due to more rolling resistance etc.

Peter

Peter,

I'm showing a variance of -.98% on 1010 Tires. Going from a 255/50/20 to a 275/45/20. Am I incorrect?

Kevin

Yes, you are absolutely correct Kevin. Must have had a 'senior's moment' here. I entered '40' instead of '45'. Sorry about that.

Peter

I didn't realize the summer tire option was a slightly wider tire. That's good news for us regular tire owners when we want to upgrade, should be no issues going 265 then.

Anyone looked into 275/45/20? They're the stock tires on 00-03 harley trucks, a very popular tire size with tons of options.

I just recently put a set of 275/45/20 Falkens on the Polished Aluminum stock wheels. No rubbing at all and significantly less expensive than the stock 255/50.

The same Falkens were $121 vs $169 at Discount Tire, just for reference.

What size tires can I use on the 20" Sport Wheels?

I just bought a 2015 Explorer with the 20" Wheels and I want to swap the tires out to some all weathers or ones with a deeper tread pattern.

I know that the stock tires are 255/50/20 but I was just wondering if I need to stick with that size or can I go with a different size 20" tire with a larger sidewall or a wider width? I don't want any clearance issues and was wondering if I could go up to a 55 or possibly a 60 sidewall?

I have merged your thread with this existing one. Perhaps you will find the answer you're looking for. I'd also suggest using a site like Tire Rack or 1010tires.com to enter different tire sizes to see if they are recommended or not by comparing them to the OEM size.

Peter

I've been trying to find the answer to this but I can't.

Does anyone know what the max size tire I can put on the stock 20" wheels that come with the 2015 XLT Appearance package?

Can I go 275 width without rubbing?

Can I go with a 55 side wall without rubbing?

Also, does anyone know of a 20" tire that has some semi aggressive tread patterns? You know, to make my Explorer look more like a truck.

I've been trying to find the answer to this but I can't.

Does anyone know what the max size tire I can put on the stock 20" wheels that come with the 2015 XLT Appearance package?

Can I go 275 width without rubbing?

Can I go with a 55 side wall without rubbing?

Also, does anyone know of a 20" tire that has some semi aggressive tread patterns? You know, to make my Explorer look more like a truck.

I have Hankook Ventus ST RH06 275/45/20 on my '02. I think they give it an aggressive look and are very great at wear. As far as size, I imagine you can run the size you mention, but I'll let someone chime in with a 5th gen.

It is not recommended to run 275/55R20 tires in place of 255/50R20 tires.
The generally accepted maximum diameter difference is 3%. The above size has a difference of 6.23%.

Peter

It is not recommended to run 275/55R20 tires in place of 255/50R20 tires.
The generally accepted maximum diameter difference is 3%. The above size has a difference of 6.23%.

Peter

Awesome, thank you for the information.

Do you know of any tires that I can use with a sidewall size of 55? I would imagine I could run 255/55/R20 but I can't find anyone who makes this size.

How wide of a rear wheels can we fit?

Looking for info and pictures if available: Just bought a used 2012 and looking for wheels. I would like to staggered a set of 20" wheels with fronts being 8.5" or 9" The rears though how WIDE can we go before it looks ridiculous? I used a mustang to look up sets and the rears range from 9.5" to 11" wide. HOW WIDE IS TOO WIDE? 20x11's WITH A 305???

Welcome to the Forum mparrado.:wavey:
Using the Forum's 'Search' program I found this existing thread and merged yours with it. Perhaps you will find your answer here. There are also a few other threads on aftermarket wheels and tires.

Peter

Wide Tires stock rims

I am still searching for the perfect 20 x 10 rim for our vehicles. I plan on keeping with the stock Sport rims for now and when I need new tires I believe I will go with [265/50R20 Pirelli Verde plus tire. I purchased custom spacers and they are currently off of my truck. When I get new tires I plan on re-installing the .75" spacers on the rear wheels to fill out the wheel well a little. This will give me the aggressive look I desire. I have seen this size tire on a lowered truck and it has an aggressive look and gives you a little more sidewall for a better ride. The 275/45R20 has too short of a sidewall with more gap between the fender and will ultimately give you a harsher ride. My 2 cents.

I am actually thinking about having all of my stock rims widened 1" so I can run 295/45R20's if I can't settle on an aftermarket rim. The first problem is it cost approximately $350 per wheel! Second problem is the down time not having your rims for a couple of weeks. Could go crazy and have the rears widened 2" inches to go for the X5 set up with 275/?R20's and 315/?R20's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, 275s will fit. I've got 275/45 20" on the stock polished rims

Can you post a pic??? I am about to buy new tires...

Thanks in advance...

Back