How to: 3rd Gen Aussie Locker Install | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 3rd Gen Aussie Locker Install

It seems like the more I read this thread, the more I don't want to take out my differential to do this. When I get around to doing mine, do I have to take the differential out? Or can I just get the truck up high enough to work on it without removing it?

No way around dropping that diff. The cover is attached to the rear crossmember and the axles have to get pulled to remove the spider gears. That goes for any kind of work you need to do inside this diff.

I found that a 12 pack makes these sorts of things more fun lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No way around dropping that diff. The cover is attached to the rear crossmember and the axles have to get pulled to remove the spider gears. That goes for any kind of work you need to do inside this diff.

I found that a 12 pack makes these sorts of things more fun lol.

Damn. Oh well, it was worth a shot...

I don't drink beer, so a bottle of scotch will have to do.

When you put in a locker or LSD, do you have to take out ring and pinion? I wanted to get an Eaton tru trac before I got diff rebuild done but had to buy a new washer over the weekend so that money is gone, starting over. Just woundering if its like rebuilding diff again should I just wait til I have everything

Depends on the type of locker or LS unit. Any "full carrier" locker or limited slip will require the ring and pinion to be removed to install the unit. So you might as well get all the seals and bearings done at the same time so you don't need to do them later.

The one exception to this is the aussie or spartan lockers...they just replace the spider gears so removing the ring and pinion is not necessary.

Dosequislockers.jpg

It's not that bad, I did mine by myself and it only took me about 4 hrs.

I literally laughed out loud when I saw this:chug:

Back on-topic, what are the disadvantages of locking the front as well? I'm starting to hear the dreaded whine in my rear diff, so that makes for an excellent excuse to swap gears. When (if) I gt around to getting that done, it seems like a good idea to go ahead and do it all at once.

I literally laughed out loud when I saw this:chug:

Back on-topic, what are the disadvantages of locking the front as well? I'm starting to hear the dreaded whine in my rear diff, so that makes for an excellent excuse to swap gears. When (if) I gt around to getting that done, it seems like a good idea to go ahead and do it all at once.

Lol, forgot I did that.

Based on how I understand the 4wd system in the 3rd gen works, the front always gets at least 5% power coming from the transfer case, which gets stepped up in increments up to 50% as the 4wd electronic controls detect a difference in wheel speeds between the front and rear wheels (i.e., wheel slip).

If you put an auto locker in the front, then essentially you'd have locked front wheels all the time...not good on the road. You can't disengage the hubs like other guys because we don't have any.

It might be possible to do the brown wire mod (to disable the power going to the front wheels unless you want them engaged), but if you have an auto locker up front in that situation then you only have the choice of either 2wd or 4wd with a locked front axle, nothing in between. I think that would be limiting and a hassle, especially in the snow.

Now you could put a selectable locker up front, that would let you lock it when you want or need it to be, and still have 4wd.

Honestly though I have never had issues with just the rear being locked...always been able to go where I need to and never gotten stuck with that setup so I don't see any need in locking the front.

Lol, forgot I did that.

Based on how I understand the 4wd system in the 3rd gen works, the front always gets at least 5% power coming from the transfer case, which gets stepped up in increments up to 50% as the 4wd electronic controls detect a difference in wheel speeds between the front and rear wheels (i.e., wheel slip).

If you put an auto locker in the front, then essentially you'd have locked front wheels all the time...not good on the road. You can't disengage the hubs like other guys because we don't have any.

It might be possible to do the brown wire mod (to disable the power going to the front wheels unless you want them engaged), but if you have an auto locker up front in that situation then you only have the choice of either 2wd or 4wd with a locked front axle, nothing in between. I think that would be limiting and a hassle, especially in the snow.

Now you could put a selectable locker up front, that would let you lock it when you want or need it to be, and still have 4wd.

Honestly though I have never had issues with just the rear being locked...always been able to go where I need to and never gotten stuck with that setup so I don't see any need in locking the front.

Thanks Ronin. That doesn't sound very desirable. Although the bwm is on my list of sh*t to do, I don't think I would want my front diff locked all the time. Your last point is the kicker though. While I will be getting in the mud and light crawling, most of my offroading is done in the sand at the Outer Banks. Just needed some input before I start ordering parts!

Here in the land of Oz :)australia) where 4wd sales this year have out done family sedans in sales, lockers are everywhere in every other 4wd you look at, from early Toyota's, Nissan's, Land-Rovers etc. Auto lockers are mostly put in the front (repeat, down here) with either LSD's or air/electric lockers in the rear. Try this link out, not necessarily for X's but you'll get really good research there -
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/search/apachesolr_search/auto-lockers This is a magazine forum that's probably the biggest 4wd forum in southern hemisphere.

Fantastic write up. I have a quick question. What is the torque on the cover bolts and the rear mount bolts?? It seems to be a well kept secret on the internets.

Fantastic write up. I have a quick question. What is the torque on the cover bolts and the rear mount bolts?? It seems to be a well kept secret on the internets.

The shop manual for my 2008 says 24 ft lbs for the differential cover bolts, 76 ft lbs for the front lower insulator bolt(s) (the 4th gens have 2, 3rd gens have 1), and 111 ft lbs for each of the upper insulator bolts.

How are these holding up as daily drivers and how much noisy are they

How are these holding up as daily drivers and how much noisy are they
I too am interested in the answer. Based on some YouTube research, this can vary greatly and I'm not sure if it's install or component related or a combination of the two. In some, it seems that they click and pop at odd times and some are quiet as can be 90% of the time with a light ratcheting noise when corners, but that's mostly quelled to more a feel than can be heard loudly in the cabin. What is your experience Ronin8002?

I never had issues when I had it in my last truck but then again it wasn't like I put 50k on it either (truck got totaled in an accident and wasn't able to remove it from the truck to inspect it).

I found it was a pretty predictable setup in terms of how it acted. Clicking was definitely audible inside and outside the truck during a coasting turn or a turn with part throttle, but not bothersome to me. Going straight down the road you wouldn't even know it was there.

I too am interested in the answer. Based on some YouTube research, this can vary greatly and I'm not sure if it's install or component related or a combination of the two. In some, it seems that they click and pop at odd times and some are quiet as can be 90% of the time with a light ratcheting noise when corners, but that's mostly quelled to more a feel than can be heard loudly in the cabin. What is your experience Ronin8002?

Back