Water Leak | Page 41 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Welcome to the Forum juliehopson63.:wavey:
Unfortunately there are several areas where leaks have been detected for those that have/had the problem. If you read through the thread you will see the areas that have been identified. Do you have any factory warranty left or ESP? Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, I'm over on miles on the warranty but I kind of feel strongly that this is a factory defect. The vehicle should not be leaking water into my interior. I'm hoping Ford corporate will address it.

The is a Ford Service rep that monitors this forum. Her name is Crystal (FordService). You can send her a PM (private message) if you wish and she can forward the info to your Regional Customer Service Manager for follow-up. No guarantee that Ford will assume the costs.
Use this link to contact Crystal;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Note: The reps are not on here on weekends.

Peter

2012 Explorer - Water Leak

Ford Corporate has authorized the repairs to my vehicle. They indicated my rear hatch seams were pulling apart allowing water to present inside my vehicle from right rear seat belt assembly. Ford Corporate is paying half and my dealer is paying the other half. Car is actually in the body shop as they indicated my vehicle was going to start rusting ! Going to take 3 days and I'm in a rental. So glad they are handling it - I had to contact Ford Explorer on Facebook as I got no response in this forum. But thanks for your input.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

" I had to contact Ford Explorer on Facebook as I got no response in this forum."
The Ford reps here monitor more than just our Forum. I find that they are very good at catching most posts with issues. However, it is always better to send them a PM (Private Message) to ensure that your problem is identified to them.
Happy to see that you are being taken care of at now cost to you. I just hope they get it fixed right. :):thumbsup:

Peter

Just goes to show, Social Media is king!!

Congrats, glad to hear Ford is covering it. NO ONE should have to be paying for this type of repair. I'm not sure why some are doing it and others are not but there is clearly some type of defect in the manufacturing process.. The amount of EXs on here that are leaking is ridiculous IMO.. right up there with the exhaust and the power steering.

Just to think if those 3 issues were resolved, there would be hardly ANY complains in this section.

If you look at Imprezala's video, it looks like possibly not enough seam sealant is being applied into parts of the body seams. I can't understand why Ford didn't address this on the manufacturing floor a long time ago.

Julie, I'm very glad that Ford and your dealer are taking care of your car, as they well should. (and as they did mine, technically out of warranty) Two words of advice, though: First, check their work! Mine as well as several others on this forum took more than one attempt to fix completely. Leave the car out in a couple good soaking rains and make sure everything stays dry. Second, you need to take out the spare tire, jack, and stuff, and leave that area open and uncovered for a couple weeks to make sure that no water is standing there and everything is completely dried out. Mine literally took several weeks plus a long session with a hair dryer to dry out completely. Good luck and enjoy your Explorer! It really is a great car!

I kinda wonder if some of the 100,000s of police Explorers out there have the same problem w/o the departments noticing it until the spare tire well is full???
-
Do Explorers that get a lot of "body flexing" get those leaks?-
-
I would love to know the % of our Explorers that have this leak, (maybe a lot smaller than we think). I hope!

I kinda wonder if some of the 100,000s of police Explorers out there have the same problem w/o the departments noticing it until the spare tire well is full???
-
Do Explorers that get a lot of "body flexing" get those leaks?-
-
I would love to know the % of our Explorers that have this leak, (maybe a lot smaller than we think). I hope!

I think it is very small in numbers BUT no vehicle should leak and they are all at the seams so despite how small or big, Ford should be covering this far outside of warranty.

Repairs were complete at no cost to me by the dealership. They had to reseal the hinges and one of the struts were binding on the back gate as well. We had a good rain yesterday but I have not checked to see if the leak was fixed. Also they replaced two trim pieces next to the windshield because of some vibrating while driving. I will post an update later.

I wish they would also change out the indoor cabin filter and detail the carpet as part of the repair! The cabin filter is behind the glove box and is pretty easy to slide a new one in there. I only know this because of how many times its been changed trying to get rid of the funky a$$ smell in there ;)

After sitting in the rain all day yesterday there is no water in back. Now to fix the sunroof rattle that started last night.

Ford Corporate has authorized the repairs to my vehicle. They indicated my rear hatch seams were pulling apart allowing water to present inside my vehicle from right rear seat belt assembly. Ford Corporate is paying half and my dealer is paying the other half. Car is actually in the body shop as they indicated my vehicle was going to start rusting ! Going to take 3 days and I'm in a rental. So glad they are handling it - I had to contact Ford Explorer on Facebook as I got no response in this forum. But thanks for your input.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi Julie,

I'm glad to hear that things are headed in the right direction! I'm not seeing a private message from you in my inbox; don't hesitate to contact me if you need any assistance in the future.

Crystal

“Juliehopson63”
Re: that funky smell. Try this. Get a proper size “Tupperware” container. Punch many holes into the lid. Fill with fresh coffee grounds. Place in that area. Change as required. It will even get rid of cigarette smells. Good luck.

Or get some Damp-Rid. Beware, though, the damp rid container will fill with water and would probably spill if you drive with it back there.

Ford Explorer Water Leak

My dealer put my truck in an ionizer room all night to remove any 'mold spores' they referred to them as and then did a full detail inside/out. My truck looked beautiful inside/out. They replaced the rear seam and repainted the interior hatch tracks - looks sweet. I still want to replace my inside cabin filter - they are about $20.00 @ auto parts store and they slide behind the glove box.

New to this forum and have been going through this board trying to find a solution to the same problem. Purchased a 2011 Explorer Limited in July of last year and just noticed water leaking in from back third row driver side seat belt. Was finally able to take it in yesterday to the dealership and just received the dreaded call, water leaking in through seam that is not properly sealed. I did not purchase any warranty of my own and all we have is the Pre-Owned certified warranty but this is not covered under that? The dealership where I bought it said I had to take it to a body shop and they have a few that they work with/recommended. I am definitely not in the position to pay for these repairs specially since after looking at the are and the inside it seems like this was a problem before I bought my vehicle but was not made aware of this. Any recommendations/ help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

New to this forum and have been going through this board trying to find a solution to the same problem. Purchased a 2011 Explorer Limited in July of last year and just noticed water leaking in from back third row driver side seat belt...

Welcome to the forum, NENA03. I received your PM and responded; I'll do all I can to help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Crystal,

Thank you for your quick reply. I was able to work out an agreement and I have my Explorer back. I have not yet tested myself to see if water still leaks but hopefully the work performed will solve any future issues.

Thank You!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Crystal,

Thank you for your quick reply. I was able to work out an agreement and I have my Explorer back. I have not yet tested myself to see if water still leaks but hopefully the work performed will solve any future issues.

Thank You!

Thanks for the update, NENA03; I'm glad your Explorer is back with you. I'm always just a PM away if you need any help moving forward. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Back