Did you pass on the Sport, but still want the performance? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Did you pass on the Sport, but still want the performance?

Livernois

Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn Heights, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
We get that not everyone chooses the 3.5L twin monster AWD XSport...but that doesn't mean that you have to lose out on the HP!

With our custom tuning your NA 3.5TIVCT will get a :salute: from any XSport owner!

Check out our acceleration and dyno testing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HSMOuCSP1zU

We are offering 87 and 91 octane towing tunes and 87, 89, 91, and 93 octane performance tunes.

Available Tunes Include:

Towing Tunes:
87 Towing
91 Towing
Performance Tunes:
87 Performance
89 Performance
91 Performance
93 Performance

ORDER YOURS TODAY!
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/products/LME%252dAIW-2013%252b-Ford-Explorer-Tuner.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all,

As a new member, I understand I may not have the respect or trust from any of the members at this point when it comes to recommending products, but I just had to post a reply to this thread. I have been a "lurker" to the forums for some time now since purchasing my 2014 Ex Base 4WD brand new last year and appreciate all of the reviews, complaints, humor, and insight this forum brings to Explorer owners. I previously had a 2006 Ex XLT 4x4 that I traded in for this one and I am very happy with my decision.

As I mentioned in my new member intro, I've had a few minor issues with the Explorer thus far, but it's expected. I commute a good ways each day and after my previous Explorer, I expect a few minor hiccups every once in a while. That being said, one of my biggest personal complaints with the new model I own was the occasional (which soon turned to frequent) lagging in shifts as the transmission seemed to "hunt" for the next gear. I knew I didn't buy a sports car, I also own a 2008 Mustang Bullitt that I keep for that :), but felt like the Explorer was so much more capable of not only increased acceleration but more responsive and confident shifts. I have driven a few of the new Interceptor Utilitys at work, with both the N/A 3.7L and the Ecoboost motors, and I was almost but not entirely disappointed with the performance of my own POV.

After continuing to "lurk" around this site, I decided to look into the Livernois tunes a bit more, as it seemed like the most reliable (though I could not find too many reviews for their non-sport model tunes) and easiest option for me. I somewhat bit the bullet on this move as I was really going into it blind without much knowledge other then my own experience tuning other cars. After viewing the information on various threads and the Livernois site, I went ahead and ordered the 91 octane tune kit hoping for the best.

I dealt with Anthony over at Livernois. I saw this post while snooping on the forums tonight and felt it was finally time to go ahead an join and give a positive, honest review so others with N/A 3.5L Explorers can have some feedback to base their decision on going with a tune. All I can say is...wow. After quick shipping to my door, several informative and prompt emails back and forth with Anthony, and literally following some basic instructions, my base Explorer shifts just a quickly and confidently as the Law Enforcement ones I have driven hard....and pulls like a rocket whether you're at a dead stop or trying to get around a semi on the highway at higher speeds. The torque is unbelievable, but it's the confidence I feel from the solid, firm shift points that really makes me happy with my decision.

I apologize for the extensive read. I just felt that after spending 500.00 on a significant upgrade to my Explorer, that those wondering whether it may be worthwhile for them may gain some insight from my experience. Kudos to Livernois for a great buying experience and an even better driving experience. Highly recommended if you're looking to get what I feel should have been the power from the factory out of these cars.

Thanks again to all on the forums for some great reads. Looking forward to being able to contribute.

Cheers!

Firstly, AWESOME USERNAME LOL Deja!

I won't quote all of that for brevity's sake lol.

But thank you very much for the review Deja! We love getting feedback from our clients! If there is anything that we can do for you let us know.

And if any of you other guys and gals out there have questions feel free to reach out and ask. We are not here to only help the Livernois family members. We are more than happy to help any member of the community that has questions or needs help!

does this void warranty, just picked up 15 sport appearance pkg for the wife.she did not like the idea of high test gas. so we got app package, after first weekend she tells me seems to have no power going up hills. arhhh. thanks cyclers 10

does this void warranty, just picked up 15 sport appearance pkg for the wife.she did not like the idea of high test gas. so we got app package, after first weekend she tells me seems to have no power going up hills. arhhh. thanks cyclers 10

It's not going to void the warranty all together, but if you have a failure related to the engine tuning or increased power, I think you at least need to be prepared for Ford to deny coverage for that specific item. There are still some unknowns as to what Ford (or any manufacturer) can see once the tune is uninstalled, but you have to go into it assuming they can see that a tune was installed.

As an example, if you tune your vehicle, and the rear hatch stops operating, obviously Ford will cover it under warranty. If your transmission or engine grenades, there is a good chance Ford will not cover it. With that said, there don't seem to be any reported major failures on any tuned vehicles that I am aware of, so you have to weigh that too.

I was very disappointed in the shift points and hesitation I was experiencing with the stock tune, and with the way my Sport performed overall. I was really second guessing my decision with my purchase.

I heard a lot of good things about the tunes Livernois offers, so I went for it. All I have to say is it's a "day and night" difference. I did a 180 on how I feel about my Sport and love it now! Like I've heard from many others with their tunes "It should have came from Ford this way".

It's not going to void the warranty all together, but if you have a failure related to the engine tuning or increased power, I think you at least need to be prepared for Ford to deny coverage for that specific item. There are still some unknowns as to what Ford (or any manufacturer) can see once the tune is uninstalled, but you have to go into it assuming they can see that a tune was installed.

As an example, if you tune your vehicle, and the rear hatch stops operating, obviously Ford will cover it under warranty. If your transmission or engine grenades, there is a good chance Ford will not cover it. With that said, there don't seem to be any reported major failures on any tuned vehicles that I am aware of, so you have to weigh that too.

We have never had a client's vehicle fail due to our custom tuning, and we have been tuning the all of EcoBoost platforms since 2009. We do extensive R&D with the manufactures, so we know the limits and the sweet spots of these cars. Not every tuner has the level of experience nor knowledge of the logic inside of the EcoBoost ECU that we have.

We are the only tuning company in the community that can claim stake to two things:
1) We have been tuning the EcoBoosts since their inception.
2) We have never blown up a client's EcoBoost VIA our modifications.

We tune our client's vehicles 110% within that sweet spot of the car's limits, and still produce the quickest tune only vehicles. That is a testament to the quality and capabilities of our exclusive tuning software and experienced calibrators!

I was very disappointed in the shift points and hesitation I was experiencing with the stock tune, and with the way my Sport performed overall. I was really second guessing my decision with my purchase.

I heard a lot of good things about the tunes Livernois offers, so I went for it. All I have to say is it's a "day and night" difference. I did a 180 on how I feel about my Sport and love it now! Like I've heard from many others with their tunes "It should have came from Ford this way".

Thank you for the compliments, we definitely appreciate you sharing your experiences!

We have never had a client's vehicle fail due to our custom tuning, and we have been tuning the all of EcoBoost platforms since 2009. We do extensive R&D with the manufactures, so we know the limits and the sweet spots of these cars. Not every tuner has the level of experience nor knowledge of the logic inside of the EcoBoost ECU that we have.

We are the only tuning company in the community that can claim stake to two things:
1) We have been tuning the EcoBoosts since their inception.
2) We have never blown up a client's EcoBoost VIA our modifications.

We tune our client's vehicles 110% within that sweet spot of the car's limits, and still produce the quickest tune only vehicles. That is a testament to the quality and capabilities of our exclusive tuning software and experienced calibrators!

I don't doubt what you are saying at all, and even said as such in my post. However, that doesn't mean a vehicle can't have a powertrain/drivetrain related failure in stock or tuned form. In the case of tuned vehicle, the owner needs to be prepared to assume that risk.

Every car I have owned has been tuned; most under warranty, but I'm also not naive enough to think my warranty is fully intact no matter how great the tune is. It's an absolute fact that Ford (and all other) dealers have denied warranty claims due to engine tuning.

Absolutely, that does happen. Nobody is saying that never happens. But we have yet to experience a failure due to our tuning.

Curious about the different tunes you guys have. I'm looking at the 93 octane tune. But I'm wondering what would be the difference between that one and the 93 towing tune??
I figure if I went with the regular 93 tune, I would obviously still have towing capabilities anyways so what would be the point??

I have a 14 sport and it is able to run 87 octane no problem, high test is not required.

I have a 14 sport and it is able to run 87 octane no problem, high test is not required.

yeah my runs 87 fine as well. i switched to 93 recently and notice theres a slight increase in hp and mpg. but a small difference. i think the biggest difference that i noticed is that i no longer smell burn gas when i do a hard acceleration.

not knowing much about tuning... what do i need to do to install this?
(i driver a 2015 xlt with the 3.5L Ti-VCT V6 4x4 version)

2015 explorer XLT performance tune

I need a little extra power for my explorer XLT for towing does anyone know if there is a tuner out there made for the XLT not the sport or eco boost?

I need a little extra power for my explorer XLT for towing does anyone know if there is a tuner out there made for the XLT not the sport or eco boost?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Using the Forum 'search' program I found this thread and merged yours with it. You will find your answer here. Good luck.

Peter

Curious about the different tunes you guys have. I'm looking at the 93 octane tune. But I'm wondering what would be the difference between that one and the 93 towing tune??
I figure if I went with the regular 93 tune, I would obviously still have towing capabilities anyways so what would be the point??

The difference is how the tune creates power. Our performance tuning will create more power in the mid to top end range of the powerband. Where the towing tune is made to lay down more power down low where you need it if you are towning. The reason why we do not suggest towing on a performance tune is that you would create too much stress and heat in the trans, and that might lead to damaging the trans.

not knowing much about tuning... what do i need to do to install this?
(i driver a 2015 xlt with the 3.5L Ti-VCT V6 4x4 version)

We actually developed all of our own tuning software and hardware. Our tunes for the TIVCT are beastly! Awesome power and precise shifting!

We have by far the best tuning for the Explorer platform as a whole, we custom tune both the NA and the EcoBoost variants better than anyone else out there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HSMOuCSP1zU

Livernois motorsport seems to have a tune.. you should contact them!!! http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393937

Thank you, we appreciate the compliment!

Mpg?

Can anyone tell me what these tunes do to MPG?

2013 XLT V6 AWD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can anyone tell me what these tunes do to MPG?

2013 XLT V6 AWD

Depending on your driving style, most owners report 2-3 MPG gains.

Back