Superchips Programmer-4.0 V6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Superchips Programmer-4.0 V6

2010Adrenalin

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Sport Trac Adrenalin
I am thinking about getting a SuperChips Programmer for my 4L V6 Sport Trac. Has anyone used a programmer for their explorer? This is the Superchips programmer i am thinking about https://superchips.com/products/ford-flashpaq-1842-1842/ :burnout:

Features:
Performance Tests
Speedometer Correction
Tire Size - 28^ - 40^
Axle Gear Ratio
Shift Points
Shift Firmness
Speed Limiter
Rev Limiter
Adjust Fan
Data Acquisition - Advanced + PIDS
DTC Read & Clear
Internet Updateable
Performance Tune(s)
Tow Tune
Economy Tune
Power Gains - + 20.0 HP & +28.0 lb-ft
Executive Order Number - D-330-11

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went with SCT flasher and tried 2 tuners, they weren´t too good. Tried More Power Tuning and I´m happy with the results.

More power tuning will give you 3 custom tunes if you buy the flasher from them. Go for it!

Save your money. Biggest waste of cash after a cold air intake for the V6.

Not in my case.

Which tuner did you get?

The reality is that the power gains are in the 8-10 hp which aren´t too noticeable. But they alter throttle response, low end power and shifting points and hardness, that will greatly improve drive-ability. To me I´m driving another truck, that simple. This is truly the best bang for the buck mod.

I agree, cold air intakes are a scam, most of them are hot air intakes, this truck already have the optimal intake and it only needs a more breathable filter. Get Afe or K&N.

Lol, I didn't bother. All they do is change you shift points to the top of the pedal and tighten up the lower range leaving the top open. All that tighter pedal does is make it harder to drive with a light foot and save gasoline. No horse power improvements or benefits to it at all. The only reason for them is if you make mechanical improvements like aftermarket cams, a supercharger, or exhaust so you can adjust your fuel tables accordingly. Best bang for your buck is a V8.
As for the K&N all they do is fill your MAF sensor up with oil and cost you money and fuel economy as well.

Lol, I didn't bother. All they do is change you shift points to the top of the pedal and tighten up the lower range leaving the top open. All that tighter pedal does is make it harder to drive with a light foot and save gasoline. No horse power improvements or benefits to it at all. The only reason for them is if you make mechanical improvements like aftermarket cams, a supercharger, or exhaust so you can adjust your fuel tables accordingly. Best bang for your buck is a V8.
As for the K&N all they do is fill your MAF sensor up with oil and cost you money and fuel economy as well.

This is the best bang for the buck

http://modd.me/?product=06-10-explorer-st-supercharger-install-kit

:burnout:

programers net higher improvements on turbo diesels... they have a place in gasoline vehicles but personally I would avoid one just for the cost vs performance ratio... I had one on my honda F4i and I never noticed a difference and I downloaded many tunes into it... I know you get more out of one with an automatic transmission but the $400 paid did not make my bike feel any different by just adjusting fuel curves ... at 11hp /lb boost it gets expensive fast... and anything under 7psi is a waste of money and anything over 5psi will probably destroy the rotating assembly on the 4.0's.... $2500 / 50hp is not a good bang for the buck... go nitrous dry kit 75 shot if you can stomach the refills LOL.... had one on my 5.4l f-150 and a paxton novi 2000 kit "not at the same time" and they both had pros and cons... only real difference was on tap and only when needed but $500/75hp vs $3000/100hp makes you question what you are doing

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Looks like I might just save my money in the meantime. :D I have had my explorer ST for a week now and love it. :usa:

I have to agree that the superchips tuner ($300-$350) IS the best bang for your buck. An exhaust kit would be atleast $300 unless you got a really good deal on amazon. A CAI, such as volant, starts at $250. The exhaust and intake might get 10 hp each. You would have to do both to feel any real difference. A tuner WILL increase power for less money than doing the intake along with the exhaust. All 3 would be ideal though :)
The SC kit from moddbox, imo, is not really worth it unless you go past 3.5 psi. I have been looking at this kit, I believe I was one of the first people to really start bringing it up (just saying haha). But it would be better, Bang for your buck, to spend another grand and go with the higher boosts, such as 5.5 or 8, fuel injector upgrade, and add the intercooler. This will require a tune so also add 300-400 for a tuning device.
What i would do ( which is what I AM doing) is get an exhaust put in first. The numbers moddbox achieved with their ranger, which is what you see with their youtube videos, were done with a 2.5 inch catback magnaflow exhaust. Second, which is optional really, in get a superchips tuner or SCT and put that in so that I can enjoy some more ponies while I save up for a supercharger kit :D
Just my 2 cents

Back