Headgasket and other problems

GreenMountain4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Southern Canada, AKA the NEK of VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 EB Explorer, 1973 T2
Hi there,

I got a 1994 Eddie Bauer from my Grandfather a few weeks ago, and it has already started to fail on me. I'm looking for some advice as to what would be the best course of action.

A4LD (orig.)
Electrically A-OK
Blown HG
Clogged cat?
Exhaust leaks
Rust
Tires are marginal, but should pass
Needs hard brake lines
Will not rev past 1k anymore, and blows the EGR hoses off

I'm guessing the last point is indicating a clogged cat. Too much back pressure on the engine. It also seems possible this caused the HG to fail. It did not have much for power when I got it, and when I replaced the spark plugs they were well over gaped. Seems to me this would cause a lot of unburned fuel to get into the cat and start clogging it. Combined with the coolant that ran into there, I am guessing it is done for. I primarily want to use this as a winter rig since the snow and unpaved roads up here makes having 4x4 a necessity. Has rocker rust, and a rust hole under the radiator, but I figure some fiberglass on that will get it to pass inspection and get a few winters out of it. The thing I am torn on is if this is really worth fixing? I figure I will only get scrap out of it, it isn't like there is a demand for this vehicle. I am also somewhat concerned that the rings might be damaged by the rate the coolant got into the oil, but maybe that is misguided? I would run compression tests, but that seems like it will not show anything since the HG leaks.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your going to need to fix the head gasket issue first. Pull the heads off check to see if the heads are cracked. I wouldn't invest any time addressing anything else until you get this fixed first. That's what I would do

What do you mean it blows EGR hoses off? What EGR hoses?

What do you mean it blows EGR hoses off? What EGR hoses?

Not the EGR itself, the two hoses going to the EGR sensor that tap off of the exhaust pipe to the EGR

Started into pulling the heads last night after spending some time cleaning the bay. I'll keep everyone posted as to what I find. Been taking pictures along the way, so as long as I end up putting it back together I'll post a how-to when I get finished.

DSCN1372.jpg

Good news, heads are not cracked so I'll be ordering some Felpro gaskets and new coolant hoses in the A.M. along with a cat and exhaust.

Stay Tuned.

Back