Explorer Police Interceptor | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Police Interceptor

I do not want to burst any bubbles around here but any upfitter worth their salt will not install or activate Red / Blue lighting on a civilian vehicle.

Wish that were true in Oklahoma. I can't drive past a construction zone or concert venue without seeing vehicles that are clearly privately and individually owned that have red and blue strobe-like flashers in the head and tail lights. I even passed a dodge ram pulling a horse trailer that had red and amber strobes as he drove 55 down the interstate. I'm pretty sure its not legal, but the police around here are worthless.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While red and blue are big "no-no"s, I don't think amber is a problem. At least in NJ. Here, I think amber is more of a "warning- possible danger here- pay attention" kind of thing.

Amber is commonly used on construction vehicles. Its also used, and required, on any vehicle that is actively engaged in snow plowing; even if it is your own private vehicle plowing your own private driveway. If, at any point while plowing, your vehicle is on the road (such as makiing "loops" or "passes" at the end of the driveway/turning around, etc..), then you need to have a working flashing amber light. In fact, I recall my neighbor getting a ticket for it years ago, for not having one while plowing his own driveway.

These rules are all different across jurisdictions.. I will admit we have some of the strongest laws in California - and at some point they will probably make their way across the nation..

Some states allow the legal use of red strobes for tow trucks. I know in Maryland, anyone can have flashing amber and white lights legally. They just can't have red or blue.

So I got my real first taste of "vehicle maintenance", I just had to have all the brakes done on the PI, not cheap, so new rotors, pads etc all the way around. Funny thing is that I only have 53000 kms on the vehicle? now my dealer told me that the brakes were in really bad shape, front rotors were "blue" and the back brakes were gone. Now I'm pretty good at staying on top of things and taking care of my vehicles, so this really "blind sided" me. I guess it pays to rotate the tires at 10000/oil change. Good advice IMO. If I would have done that at the last oil change, I would have some more money in my pocket.

I'd hate to think what that cost...

I'd hate to think what that cost...

Ya I woke up this morning alot "poorer", it was very expensive. I was thinking that I should have maybe had some more life out of the brakes, since they were "hvy duty" for the PI? I guess it really is worth it to have the tires rotated every 10000/oil change.

Ya I woke up this morning alot "poorer", it was very expensive. I was thinking that I should have maybe had some more life out of the brakes, since they were "hvy duty" for the PI? I guess it really is worth it to have the tires rotated every 10000/oil change.
The only thing a tire rotation would do is allow the service personnel to visually inspect the brakes. Is that what you are referring to? That is when they suggested a brake service (clean/lube) to me in the 2nd year. Had it done for $79.95.

Peter

The only thing a tire rotation would do is allow the service personnel to visually inspect the brakes. Is that what you are referring to? That is when they suggested a brake service (clean/lube) to me in the 2nd year. Had it done for $79.95.

Peter

Ya, they didn't on the last oil change, and I had no idea that the brakes were that bad, I really only started to notice "more pedal" a couple of weeks ago. Once I felt the "grinding" & "vibration" I took it in the next day. Oh well.

I don't have "sour grapes" about the cost or service, I'm just disappointed that I didn't catch it sooner, I may have been able to reduce the cost or spread it out over a couple of week/months?

So over the last couple of days, one of the things that I have been musing about is this. Is it reasonable to think that since the brakes on the PI are hvy duty & the pads are ceramic, that you should expect more or longer wear for them? or is this more about one's "driving style"?? I" guessing that I may be "hard on the brakes" ?

So over the last couple of days, one of the things that I have been musing about is this. Is it reasonable to think that since the brakes on the PI are hvy duty & the pads are ceramic, that you should expect more or longer wear for them? or is this more about one's "driving style"?? I" guessing that I may be "hard on the brakes" ?
My guess would be both. Driving style would have a lot to do with it. I do a bit of country road driving and when possible, I always let up on the accelerator well in advance of the stop sign/light so that the engine does much of the slowing down/braking process. Of course I only do this mostly when there is no one behind me.

Peter

Most Law Enforcement has two speeds..

ON

and

OFF

These brakes are set for that type of driving - high heat - anti warp - Anti Fade

Replacement with LE spec parts might actually diminish your drive quality depending on how you drive and if the braking systems are setup to utilize the equipment.

Everyone needs to understand that braking systems of today are not a master cylinder, some fluid and some pads anymore. They are complex systems that regulate everything from ABS, traction control, lane changing, stability etc.

All of these systems talk to each other and the the BCM.

When you just change out something that Ford took a long time and testing to make right and safe, well the outcome is in your hands.

Last thing I would want is my brakes to do something crazy because I thought I was smarter than buildings full of engineers..

Yikes! same job on my 02 non-PI were pretty bad, I'd hate to get the bill for that!

bburzycki, you can keep your laws in CA.

back to the lighting.... when I got towed in MA, the truck had Reds/Blues while loading and Ambers while pulling, if I remember correctly (might have been a different state)

ON

and

OFF

These brakes are set for that type of driving - high heat - anti warp - Anti Fade

Replacement with LE spec parts might actually diminish your drive quality depending on how you drive and if the braking systems are setup to utilize the equipment.

Everyone needs to understand that braking systems of today are not a master cylinder, some fluid and some pads anymore. They are complex systems that regulate everything from ABS, traction control, lane changing, stability etc.

When you just change out something that Ford took a long time and testing to make right and safe, well the outcome is in your hands.

Last thing I would want is my brakes to do something crazy because I thought I was smarter than buildings full of engineers..

Well said!

I just bought 4 rotors and the Police compound pads for my E Sport, I haven't installed them yet but compared to $1200. (just for parts) four rotors and pads for my last DD, a V10 TT Touareg, the under $400. set from Levvittown Ford seems a relative bargain. BTW I made it 45K miles on the stockers and I drive uh, *spirited*:D It's been to 145MPH more than once on a deserted road in Mexico;) not that I would touch the brakes at that speed tho...

ON

and

OFF

While I understand your point, I was surprised by the severity and degradation of the brakes, for instance the front rotors were blue and the pads were cracked. I suppose I was thinking that given my driving style that it wouldn't have ended that bad? I guess it's time to change my habits.

I was also surprised that it's recommended that your rotate your tires every 10000kms?

I'm not sure if standard replacement parts were an option on my vehicle? I don't know if the rotors and pads could be "crossed over" from a regular Explorer? Thanks for the comments. Cheers

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule about when the tires should be rotated. I think that 10k kms or 6 - 8k miles is a good range. My 2 sets get rotated when I change from OEM to Winters and back again. I drive about 4k kms per year. I also just rotate them front to back, back to front.

Peter

With the issues I've had with mine, I feel hypocritical by saying this but....

what did you expect buying a used out-of-service police car?

I need to find a way to buy a 2016 PI. I am an LEO but Ford says it has to be a fleet sale, thru an agency. Kinda sucks. The seats i think may be annoying for regular driving, I have flown out of them a few times while working on sharp turns lol. Theyre on ebay, but im just not a fan of ebay car buying

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the issues I've had with mine, I feel hypocritical by saying this but....

what did you expect buying a used out-of-service police car?

That might have been the case with this vehicles predecessor, a 2008 CVPI. However this one is a 2013, with 20000km when I got it, and it was a Ford LE "demo", so it never saw any action.

Back