ABS light came on after Left front Hub replace | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS light came on after Left front Hub replace

ROBinGa

Reaction score
City, State
Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.6
I just changed tons of stuff on 03 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.6 including both Upper Control arms, both front struts, both front sway bar links, new rotors and pads front and back. Once changing the rear rotors I found the rear emergency shoes and pad material separated so changed those too. I had an issue removing drivers upper control arm ball joint bolt which fused to knuckle so ended up with new left knuckle and also bought new hub for front left. The Explorer drives incredibly well now and wife is really happy with improved handling and braking. But during test drive the ABS light came on. Funny thing is that when you start car and go in reverse to back out of drive the ABS light doesn't come on. But when you put in drive and go forward the ABS will come on and stay on. I've read where others take the old ABS sensor wire and put on new hub. The hub replaced was original from Ford and new part was an inexpensive one from China it says. Haven't tried to swap wire but could since I still have it. Is this a possible fix?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally located a place that could read ABS codes. It shows no signal for Left front sensor so as I suspected either the new hub is faulty or the sensor that came on it. I am going to take off the tire and rotor to get to the hub where I can see if sensor connection is tightened down to hub properly. I didn't inspect it when I installed just took hub from box and worried about bolting it to knuckle. If it does look secured to hub, then I am going to install the original ford sensor wire assembly in its place and put all back together. If that doesn't solve ABS light then I will ask for replacement hub from where I bought it.

Sounds like you about have it worked out. I read a post identical to yours, which was resolved with the original sensor.

I planned to switch out the sensor that came on the new hub part tonight with the original from original hib, but my wife texted when she got to work this morning and said ABS went off and stayed off during her drive in. Yesterday while she was braking she said the brakes pulsed on her once. But it didn't do it on me while I test drove it after she said that. So the ABS light has stayed off the rest of today and she drove it some this evening as well. I don't know if the truck had to learn the new hub/sensor that I installed or maybe it will come back on but as of now my ABS light is not on -- knocks on wood.....

I'd still swap the sensor or get a new hub. One of the things that lacks on the inexpensive hubs is the wire itself. So getting a new hub will just get another cheap wire compared to your OE. Just keep the wire that came with the unit in case you ever need to warranty it.

Ok last update unless something heads south. It's been three more days since the ABS light turned off and has stayed off. Explorer is driving and feeling great so I am going to store the original speed sensor wire and leave well enough alone. Hope this helps someone

Can you change just the sensor? I thought the bearing had to go with it.

Ok last update unless something heads south. It's been three more days since the ABS light turned off and has stayed off. Explorer is driving and feeling great so I am going to store the original speed sensor wire and leave well enough alone. Hope this helps someone

Time to go find a slippery spot and make sure the ABS actually works.

Can you change just the sensor? I thought the bearing had to go with it.

Yes DJKlein the sensor is often sold separately and is about $80-90 by itself. It is attached to hub with a 5mm hex screw then clips on to the sensor connection in engine bay. It definitely is separate part and can be replaced. I do have the original from the factory installation reserved for future if I need to put it on in place of the one that came with new hub.

Yes DJKlein the sensor is often sold separately and is about $80-90 by itself. It is attached to hub with a 5mm hex screw then clips on to the sensor connection in engine bay. It definitely is separate part and can be replaced. I do have the original from the factory installation reserved for future if I need to put it on in place of the one that came with new hub.

So just unscrew the 5mm screw and pull straight up?

Yes you unscrew the hex head bolt then the sensor pulls out of the hub. It is a small piece that inserts into the hub and the hex screw secures it to the hub. There is a YouTube video that shows this but several others as well out there if you search. You do need to take off caliper and brake caliper bracket to be able to take off rotor, but once rotor is off there plenty of room to work with the sensor where connected to hub. Easy to do

http://youtu.be/EO34AO2hD44

Yes you unscrew the hex head bolt then the sensor pulls out of the hub. It is a small piece that inserts into the hub and the hex screw secures it to the hub. There is a YouTube video that shows this but several others as well out there if you search. You do need to take off caliper and brake caliper bracket to be able to take off rotor, but once rotor is off there plenty of room to work with the sensor where connected to hub. Easy to do

http://youtu.be/EO34AO2hD44

Gotcha. I replaced a hub because of a bad bearing but sensor is still good on the old hub so I will just save it just in case.

Back