The Ford order/build/deliver timeline. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Ford order/build/deliver timeline.

shoebox303

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 BMW X1
I ordered a 2016 Explorer a week ago today, and the salesman told me it would be delivered in 6-8 weeks. I've been doing some research which seems to place that estimate in the "extremely optimistic" category. After a call to Ford, this is what I've learned (first and foremost, they love the phrase "days to weeks").

1. Ford didn't even recieve my order until today, 1 week after I placed it.
  2. It's waiting for "confirmation of parts", which can take days to weeks to finish.
  3. After that, it's scheduled for a build date, which can be days or weeks away.
  4. Once it's completed, it is scheduled for delivery, which can take days or weeks.

The Ford rep I talked to estimated the true timeline as 6-12 weeks, but "most likely at least 8 and potentially more than 12", but I suppose his guess is only as good as anyone else's. Should be interesting to see when it actually arrives!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The order delay can probably be blamed on your dealership. Even still, 12 weeks seems pretty long to me. I hate to even think what that means for the Platinum. If they are going to be that late, I sure expect to see Sync 3 in it.

I'm going in to my local dealership to place my order later today. I'll update you on what I find out. I'm looking at an XLT.

I'm going in to my local dealership to place my order later today. I'll update you on what I find out. I'm looking at an XLT.

Yes, I'd definitely be interested in what they tell you about timeline, etc. I ordered an XLT as well. Thanks!

Yes, I'd definitely be interested in what they tell you about timeline, etc. I ordered an XLT as well. Thanks!

I'll let you know.

FYI, here's my planned order. Welcome any thoughts if I'm missing anything.

2016 XLT 4WD.
Shadow Black with Ebony Black interior.
Package 201A
Power Liftgate
Rear Bumper Protector
Roof Rack Crossbars
Cold Weather Package
All Weather Floor Mats
Cargo Shade

I don't know if the Cold Weather Package includes the heated steering wheel, but my original order included one, and my dealer told me that adding it would cause a delay in my order because that part was not available yet. Just something to think about or confirm, perhaps.

I'll let you know.

FYI, here's my planned order. Welcome any thoughts if I'm missing anything.

2016 XLT 4WD.
Shadow Black with Ebony Black interior.
Package 201A
Power Liftgate
Rear Bumper Protector
Roof Rack Crossbars
Cold Weather Package
All Weather Floor Mats
Cargo Shade
Seeing as how you are in Oregon, the all weather mats may suitable for you. If anyone gets real Winters, don't get the all weather mats but get aftermarket WeatherTech liners or for optimum coverage get the Husky liners. They are more expensive but very superior to the OEM all weather mats. I had a rear bumper cover put on mine but if I had to do it over again I would get the BMC cover which actually folds over the lip where I think most of any damage would occur. There are threads on both items in the 'Discussion' sub forum.

Peter

I don't know if the Cold Weather Package includes the heated steering wheel, but my original order included one, and my dealer told me that adding it would cause a delay in my order because that part was not available yet. Just something to think about or confirm, perhaps.
You didn't mention which model you ordered. The Cold Weather Package consists of heated front seats and heated steering wheel. I believe the heated steering wheel can also be order as a stand alone option. Not sure why the heated steering wheel would not be available. It isn't a new option for the Explorer.

Peter

I ordered an XLT. I didn't add the Cold Weather Package because I got package 202A which already includes heated seats. That's why I had to add the heated steering wheel as a stand alone option. So, in effect, I wanted all the components of the Cold Weather Package, I just didn't need to add the package itself. Does that make sense?

I'm not sure why it would cause a delay either. I just know that, when my dealer put the order in, he came back and told me that the heated steering wheel option was showing as unavailable until a later and undetermined date.

The Cold Weather Package does include the heated steering wheel (along with heated front seats). Didn't get a chance to ask my salesperson if this would delay my order as wasn't aware of it and he didn't say anything about it either.

He did say I would be looking at 8 - 12 weeks for delivery and would keep in touch during the entire process. He also mentioned I was the first person to order a 2016 Explorer from his dealership and that my order was going in with 5 other dealer ordered vehicles at the same time.

Seeing as how you are in Oregon, the all weather mats may suitable for you. If anyone gets real Winters, don't get the all weather mats but get aftermarket WeatherTech liners or for optimum coverage get the Husky liners. They are more expensive but very superior to the OEM all weather mats. I had a rear bumper cover put on mine but if I had to do it over again I would get the BMC cover which actually folds over the lip where I think most of any damage would occur. There are threads on both items in the 'Discussion' sub forum.

Peter

Thanks for the tips Peter. I'll go take a look at the 'Discussion" sub-forum. I actually thought about not adding these two items (along with the cross bars and cargo cover) to the order and just getting them from the parts department later with perhaps a 15% off coupon. I guess I was a little lazy and just figured it was easier to "check the box" on the order.

The Cold Weather Package does include the heated steering wheel... Didn't get a chance to ask my salesperson if this would delay my order as wasn't aware of it and he didn't say anything about it either.

This is really interesting! I actually called my dealer about another question yesterday afternoon, and since I was talking to them, I asked about the heated steering wheel again. He "checked" with someone, then came back on the phone and said again that it was not available right now.

Not sure why they'd give me the run around on this one, but I don't pretend to understand the car purchase game in any sense.

This is really interesting! I actually called my dealer about another question yesterday afternoon, and since I was talking to them, I asked about the heated steering wheel again. He "checked" with someone, then came back on the phone and said again that it was not available right now.

Not sure why they'd give me the run around on this one, but I don't pretend to understand the car purchase game in any sense.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of this but if I communicate with my salesperson, I'll ask him if he knows anything about the heated steering wheel and any delays.

Do you have a VIN for your vehicle yet? My salesperson said that would be the next thing he would be able to let me know.

I remember ordering a BMW X5 a number of years ago (I notice you have a BMW as well) and they had a pretty cool way to track my car from build to delivery.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of this but if I communicate with my salesperson, I'll ask him if he knows anything about the heated steering wheel and any delays.

Do you have a VIN for your vehicle yet? My salesperson said that would be the next thing he would be able to let me know.

I remember ordering a BMW X5 a number of years ago (I notice you have a BMW as well) and they had a pretty cool way to track my car from build to delivery.

No VIN yet. I'm hoping to get it early next week, but I think that timeline is completely speculative.

X5 - nice! My X1 is my first BMW, and I love it. The folks at Ford told me they USED to have a website to track orders, but don't anymore for some reason.

but don't anymore for some reason.

A customer facing tracking website that is accurately updated to reflect issues and delays with the order exposes all the gaps/problems in the manufacturer's processes and supply chain.

What does this do...it generates angst for the customer, and creates phone calls and emails when orders are delayed, problems in QA are identified and the vehicle is held for parts replacement, and dates are shifted.

It's called over-exposure. Ford (and I'm sure other manufacturers) purposely keeps this information under wraps to cut down on the "noise".

If you were to look on a tracking website, and saw that your vehicle was shifted out 3 weeks in the schedule, you're going to call and complain, right?

If you were to look on a tracking website, and saw that your vehicle was being held at the factory for a QA issue, you are going to demand to know what the QA issue is, and you're going to make it a dealership issue when it finally gets delivered, right?

Experience with these types of things tells me this is the "some reason". The less the customer knows.......

Just got word from my dealer that by ordering the cold weather package, there is a probability of a delay. He said at this time the cold weather package shows as being "available late". He doesn't know if that means weeks or months. He went ahead and put my build in and will hopefully know more by next week.

Just got word from my dealer that by ordering the cold weather package, there is a probability of a delay. He said at this time the cold weather package shows as being "available late". He doesn't know if that means weeks or months. He went ahead and put my build in and will hopefully know more by next week.

Since this is standard on the Platinum, I wonder if this is why they are late? I've been looking at the window stickers on what my local dealers have on order and more than half are ordered with heating steering wheel. Out of 6 dealers, none show any in stock yet.

I read on another site (not sure if the forum rules here allow naming another site or posting a link to it) that 'The"OK to Buy" status has been achieved for the 2016 Explorer and vehicles are now being shipped to dealers.'
No problem naming other sites or posting links.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ordered a 2016 Explorer a week ago today, and the salesman told me it would be delivered in 6-8 weeks. I've been doing some research which seems to place that estimate in the "extremely optimistic" category. After a call to Ford, this is what I've learned (first and foremost, they love the phrase "days to weeks").

1. Ford didn't even recieve my order until today, 1 week after I placed it.
  2. It's waiting for "confirmation of parts", which can take days to weeks to finish.
  3. After that, it's scheduled for a build date, which can be days or weeks away.
  4. Once it's completed, it is scheduled for delivery, which can take days or weeks.

The Ford rep I talked to estimated the true timeline as 6-12 weeks, but "most likely at least 8 and potentially more than 12", but I suppose his guess is only as good as anyone else's. Should be interesting to see when it actually arrives!

Just an FYI, Ford pulls orders every Wednesday or Thursday so if you order on a Friday or Saturday, they will not receive it till that following Wednesday or Thursday. That is most likely the reason they didnt get it till the 20th and your dealer has no control over that.

Back