List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

OK, since Ford corporate customer service and the manager have been blowing off several emails of mine for over a week, I'm going to air the dirty laundry online.

They are charging me $500 for the new hood to be painted and attached, which they say costs $1,100 for the hood alone.

One thing that has not been discussed is who keeps the old hood. I will be telling the dealer and their body shop I intend to keep the hood to sell myself.

If Ford keeps the hood they probably just about break even "fixing" their hood paint bubble issue for me.

Here is a link where you can buy a new, unpainted hood for $900. $200 less than Ford said their cost was - or rather what they charge.

http://www.carparts.com/details/For...93&c2cid=65c05122-1a21-4446-aa9b-7613973a8990

I have found several used Ex hood's for $750 to $775 online.

So I pay Ford $500 (which should be about the cost for the body shop to paint and put on. Not as if they are repairing body damage).

Ford pays $900 for the new hood, and they can sell the old one for $750 or so if they don't mention the paint bubble issue.

Months ago I had asked a CSR manager on the phone to reduce the $500 out of my pocket (and I was not thinking of keeping the old hood to sell at the time) to $400 and he would not budge, seemed annoyed, and seemed as if he was doing me some big favor. And more recently I see a poster above who says he got $400.

Well, I intend to demand that I get to keep the hood since it is part of my car and that was not negotiated. I will sell it declaring the hood paint bubble and hopefully get $3-400.

How much do you wanna bet Ford demands to keep the hood to break even? I'll take that to small claims court. At this point we are looking at $500 out my pocket and perhaps $150 out of Ford's pocket if they were to sell the used hood for $750. The CSR manager explained it to me on the phone months ago how much of a financial hit they were taking and how generous they were being to me.

Dealing with Ford corporate customer service has been worse than me dealing with the worse used car dealer I have ever run across!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I noticed the bubbling hood issue on my 2013 EX about a month ago. Took it into the Ford dealer where I purchased the vehicle and pointed out the hood, along with shredded door seals that needed to be replaced.

Was told by the service advisor that they would need to take pictures of the area, send them to Ford and get the OK to have it repaired (which I was told happens nine times out of ten). That one was the final nail in the coffin for the EX. It's been sold and replaced. Judging by this thread, that was not a bad idea by me.

I noticed the bubbling hood issue on my 2013 EX about a month ago. Took it into the Ford dealer where I purchased the vehicle and pointed out the hood, along with shredded door seals that needed to be replaced.

Was told by the service advisor that they would need to take pictures of the area, send them to Ford and get the OK to have it repaired (which I was told happens nine times out of ten). That one was the final nail in the coffin for the EX. It's been sold and replaced. Judging by this thread, that was not a bad idea by me.
It is common practice and required to get the okay from Ford before proceeding with any warranty work.

Peter

I think I would do the same thing at the sight of the the issue beginning on my vehicle. Multiple people have reported that the bubbles return after repairs. What vehicle did you end up going with?

Here's what I posted the other day for the back story.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3424967&postcount=299

I just called the owner of the auto body shop that is putting the new hood on and he says the old hood (see above link on how that works) is going back to Pacifico Marple Ford in Broomall, PA outside Philly.

I asked the body shop owner under what justification he was doing that when the old hood is my hood on a car I own outright that is not under warranty.

He said that is between me and Pacifico Marple Ford in Broomall, PA, but he is sending the hood back to them as he obviously favors them as they farm out all body work to his body shop.

So I will be calling the Service Manager at Pacifico Marple Ford in Broomall, PA to see what he has to say and I will update here how that goes.

It was never negotiated that Ford keeps the hood and gets to resell it for $750 or so. If I don't get my used hood back, I will take both the body shop and Pacifico Marple Ford in Broomall to small claims court.

My dealership has agreed to paint the hood. I explained how this was totally unacceptable and the vehicle should have never been sold in such condition, and they pretty much looked at the floor and told me I'd be paying half. I told them to kindly forcibly insert their heads into their anuses and they'd be hearing from my lawyer.

Going to get a 4Runner tomorrow, never ever dealing with Ford ever again. They've lost not only this customer for life, but my entire family, and every single person I encounter I will tell of the awful treatment I've received and total disregard for honesty.

Some retailers request the return of replaced parts so that they can further examine them to determine what the actual issue was with the product.
Do you know for a fact that they will 'resell' the hood?

Peter

My dealership has agreed to paint the hood. I explained how this was totally unacceptable and the vehicle should have never been sold in such condition, and they pretty much looked at the floor and told me I'd be paying half. I told them to kindly forcibly insert their heads into their anuses and they'd be hearing from my lawyer.

Going to get a 4Runner tomorrow, never ever dealing with Ford ever again. They've lost not only this customer for life, but my entire family, and every single person I encounter I will tell of the awful treatment I've received and total disregard for honesty.
I understand your frustration and don't blame you for feeling the way you do about the brand. There are several posts like yours where a Ford product will never be considered again. BUT the reality is Ford vehicles are selling very well. There was a news item yesterday that said the Ford is cutting back the Summer holiday break from 2 to 1 week because of the heavy demand for the F-150, Escape, Explorer and one other model I can't recall. Best of luck.

http://motrolix.com/2015/06/ford-tr...il&utm_term=0_74c392f506-2e655018e1-364881805

Peter

OK, this is a positive and I am happy with Pacifico Marple Ford in Broomall.

It was confusing because the Ford dealer said they had to "scrap" the hood. That could mean them destroying it or keeping it to sell.

The dealer Service Manager said he just needs it returned to him to "scrap" it on paper and I can pick it up and take it if I want it.

What I plan is to declare the paint bubbles under the hood and hopefully get $3-400 for a hood that would sell for $775 used with no issues and recoup some of the $500 I had to pay out of pocket for this fix.

I will say the body shop Ford uses has been great. Pacifico Marple Ford in Broomall has been fine.

The problem in my view has been with Ford corporate customer service. Terrible customer service IMO. Tell you one thing, give others something better for the same thing. Ignore you when you call and email them about it multiple times.

OK, this is a positive and I am happy with Pacifico Marple Ford in Broomall.

It was confusing because the Ford dealer said they had to "scrap" the hood. That could mean them destroying it or keeping it to sell.

The dealer Service Manager said he just needs it returned to him to "scrap" it on paper and I can pick it up and take it if I want it.

What I plan is to declare the paint bubbles under the hood and hopefully get $3-400 for a hood that would sell for $775 used with no issues and recoup some of the $500 I had to pay out of pocket for this fix.

I will say the body shop Ford uses has been great. Pacifico Marple Ford in Broomall has been fine.

The problem in my view been is with Ford corporate customer service. Terrible customer service IMO. Tell you one thing, give others something better for the same thing. Ignore you when you call and email them about it multiple times.
Glad to hear that things are beginning to work out for you.:thumbsup:

Peter

Glad to hear that things are beginning to work out for you.:thumbsup:

Peter

Yeah, well it could have gone a lot smoother if Ford corporate customer service has their act together and I did not have to deal with months of calls, months of being ingnored, having to make threats to get this done, and then getting ignored again when I find other posters got better deals than I did for the same repair.

Like I said. The Ford outsourced body shop and the Ford dealer have been fine. Ford corporate customer service is a nightmare.

I understand your frustration and don't blame you for feeling the way you do about the brand. There are several posts like yours where a Ford product will never be considered again. BUT the reality is Ford vehicles are selling very well. There was a news item yesterday that said the Ford is cutting back the Summer holiday break from 2 to 1 week because of the heavy demand for the F-150, Escape, Explorer and one other model I can't recall. Best of luck.

http://motrolix.com/2015/06/ford-tr...il&utm_term=0_74c392f506-2e655018e1-364881805

Peter

The F150 loaner I had for a week was indeed fantastic. I've owned a 93 Explorer, 96 Explorer, 99 Expedition, 03 Ranger, and this 2011 Explorer will be my last Ford product. It's sad that a dealer has killed the brand for me.

my 2013 is peeling again after dealer body shop repaired. Before I left dealer I took body shop manager out to take pictures to let him know it would be coming back since they did a poor job repairing underneath. when I washed this weekend a quarter size piece of paint all corroded up came off. I stopped at dealer that repaired he told me I am out of luck because they will not repair any more of these hoods. it is a shame to pay the money for these vehicles to have a paint issue. I have purchased 22 fords in last 25 years and never once have had this issue happen on any other ford. with issues I have had with both my explorer and fusion I am looking at purchasing another mfg vehicle.

my 2013 is peeling again after dealer body shop repaired. Before I left dealer I took body shop manager out to take pictures to let him know it would be coming back since they did a poor job repairing underneath. when I washed this weekend a quarter size piece of paint all corroded up came off. I stopped at dealer that repaired he told me I am out of luck because they will not repair any more of these hoods. it is a shame to pay the money for these vehicles to have a paint issue. I have purchased 22 fords in last 25 years and never once have had this issue happen on any other ford. with issues I have had with both my explorer and fusion I am looking at purchasing another mfg vehicle.

It is highly likely that none of your previous Fords had an aluminum hood.

You can always try contacting Tricia (Ford Service), the Ford rep on this forum and see if there is anything she can do to help.

Peter

I think I would do the same thing at the sight of the the issue beginning on my vehicle. Multiple people have reported that the bubbles return after repairs. What vehicle did you end up going with?

Went with a CX-9. That was the second choice when I bought the EX in the first place. My wife drives the SUV on a regular basis, and liked the Mazda in the first place. So we went in that direction this time. She likes it so far. Gave up a couple of features, but couldn't beat the price I was able to walk out the door for it.

It is highly likely that none of your previous Fords had an aluminum hood.

Peter

For your information, the 95-97 Mercury Grand Marquis & Ford Crown Vic had aluminum hoods & trunk lids. My family's 96 Grand Marquis never had any corrosion issues for the whole 17 years we had it (except for the bumpers that had numerous dents & bumps).

Close call on buying an Explorer ...

I've started shopping Explorers based on size and features. Just looked at a 2011 w/ 88k miles at a local dealer. Noticed huge corrosion on the front lip of the hood. Looked up forums found this tread (and many other results). Guess I will start shopping Mazdas and Toyotas again.

My '07 Subaru Outback with 95k miles, my Wife's old '04 Forester with over 100k both have aluminum hoods never had a bubble of rust anywhere on the body. Even in spots with paint chips to the primer!

I reallly reaaaallllyy want to own a Ford again but every time I try I'm turned off by one reason or another.

Thanks to most everyone for posting all your experiences. I guess I may not become a frequent poster.

I noticed bubbling on my paint at the end of 13. The bubbling was only on the edge right above the headlights. It wasn't bad. I brought it to the dealership and they took pics and received the approval from Ford to get it repainted. This was in April 14. When I got my car back you could see the hood was not painted well. I was like whatever it is a lease. Well, not even 6 months later the bubbling came back with a vengeance. It is now bubbling all across the front of my hood. I took it to the dealer and they blamed the painter. I took it to the painter and they said no it is your actual hood causing the problem. The guy at the dealership told me it wasn't a Ford problem because he had only other hood. Luckily, I came on here to look and saw this is a massive issue. I called him back and told the dealer what I had read on here and now I have to bring my car back in and get pictures taken. It's just a pain in my ass.

To add another to the tally my co workers 2011 XLT is starting to bubble along the front edge of the hood. There's a decent size bubble to the right of the driver side headlight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I stopped at a blue oval Ford dealership last weekend to check on their supply of used explorers. They had 12 in stock years 2011 thru 2015. I checked the hoods and found that 8 of them had bubbles on leading edge, one had a hood diffuser so I couldn't tell if the paint was bad and there was 1 2014 and 1 2015 both had no hood paint problems. I'm wondering if Ford has fixed the problem in the last year, has anyone heard of it??? Or are these two just waiting to start ? ;-(

Back