Please recommend all weather tires! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please recommend all weather tires!

klledoux

Reaction score
City, State
Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Would anyone have recommendations for my 2011 Exp, I live in New England and usually get all weather tires even with our crazy winters. I would also like a tire that is quiet if that makes sense and not hugely expensive!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Best,
Kim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I noticed that the OP asked for all weather tire suggestions, and that not one of the tires suggested so far was an all weather tire. They were all season tires instead. BIG difference. All weather tires must carry the mountain and snowflake emblem on the sidewall, and are as good as dedicated winter tires in winter conditions and temperatures. All seasons fall miserably short, although the marketers of the tires would have you believe otherwise.

I too, am, or will be within the year, looking for all weather tires for a '15 Sport, but the field is small and choice is limited in the 20"size, so a +1 or +2 on a smaller rim might be needed to widen the search.

So, not to hijack the thread, but I'm curious, has any body had any experience with a true "all weather" tire on an Explorer? Thanks in advance.

While an 'all weather' is better than an all season it has to have certain compromises. Reminds of the old saying, "A Jack of all trades, a master of none." Perhaps the OP can confirm that she is looking for all weather as opposed to all season. You are right that selection is probably limited.

Peter

Hi Peter. I just noticed this is my first posting to this forum and should have said "hi" to everybody...so Hi everybody!
Yes- all weathers are fairly new to the scene, maybe 6-8 years I've been watching them, and the technology, progress, so their existence is not yet widely known. And marketers have done a great disservice to consumers by using ambiguous and (maybe?) deliberately deceiving terminology (OK, I'll give them that the term "all season" might apply in Arizona), so I do understand, and identify with, your scepticism.

The snowflake and mountain emblem makes a bid to eliminate that confusion. A tire that carries that emblem must meet certain wintertime performance requirements, be it an all weather, or dedicated winter tire. So these tires, originating in Europe (Nokian Hakkas), have been rigorously tested and proven to meet claims by independents, are the real thing, winter and summer. And they're only getting better in time. Just like the Explorer. :)
- Brian.

Just a reminder that the OP is asking for comments/recommendations on ALL WEATHER tires. Not all season or dedicated Winter tires.

Any post on All Season tires, etc will be moved to the appropriate existing threads.
Peter

Just a reminder that the OP is asking for comments/recommendations on ALL WEATHER tires. Not all season or dedicated Winter tires.

Peter

Who in the world makes ALL WEATHER tires? I don't think I've ever seen a set.

Who in the world makes ALL WEATHER tires? I don't think I've ever seen a set.
Goodyear, Kumho, Bridgestone, Nokian and Nitto are some of the manufacturers. All weather tires are just beginning to make inroads here.

Peter

Goodyear, Kumho, Bridgestone, Nokian and Nitto are some of the manufacturers. All weather tires are just beginning to make inroads here.

Peter

Post some links, Peter. I have never seen a tire in this area marked "All Weather". It might be interesting if I could find any.

Is the term "all-weather" tire a term used mostly up in Canada? Is there really any difference between that and an "all-season" tire? Seems like merely semantics to me.

I'm guessing you meant to say "all-season' in asking about the difference. Yes, there is a difference. An All-Weather will have the snow flake/mountain symbol with the All-Season will not

http://www.wheels.ca/news/all-weather-tires-are-not-the-same-as-all-season-and-heres-why/

Peter

Sorry, yes, I did mean "all-season". Previous post is corrected. But aside from the little symbol, what's the difference? Or is it merely a marketing ploy in Canada? Are they really any different from "all-season" tires sold here in the US?

Sorry, yes, I did mean "all-season". Previous post is corrected. But aside from the little symbol, what's the difference? Or is it merely a marketing ploy in Canada? Are they really any different from "all-season" tires sold here in the US?
Yes, as the linked article says, one of the main differences is rubber compound used. All-season tires begin to lose optimum grip at just 44 degrees F and it goes down from there as the temperature goes down, Dedicated Winter tires and All-Weather tires have a compound that remains flexible in cold weather and can reduce stopping distance by up to 30%.
Since some of the major tire manufacturers produce All-Weather tires, I'm guessing the tires are not limited to sales in Canada.

Peter

I recommend Nitto Exo Grappler All Weather Tires.

I recommend not getting all weather tires. Proper summer tires, or all season for spring summer and early fall with a change to a complete winter tire for the late fall and winter season are highly recommended, and required in 1 Canadian province by law.
Myself I run Bridgestone Ecopia tires in the spring summer and fall for improved fuel economy. In winter I run Bridgestone Blizzaks for road safety. A winning combination.

Hey guys, I am waiting for my 2017 Ford Explorer Platinum and I am already thinking of modifications that I would like to do to it.

Anyway, the first mod is to replace the OEM Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 tires with Toyo Celsius CUV All Weather Tires.

The OE Hankook size is 255/50R20 however Toyo doesn't make this exact size but they do make a 265/50R20 which will work just fine on the Explorer.

Has anyone had any experience with All Weather Tires before?

For me, I really like the idea as I can trade in or sell my OE Hankook Tires and since I really don't drive as much as most do, they will last me my entire lease.

Other advantages are,

1) Good looking tread pattern.
2) No need to change to Winter Tires.
3) They offer the 3 Peak Mountain Snow Flake symbol which not only exceeds the snow tire performance standards but will also please my insurance company. In my case, I live in Ontario, Canada so this will make me eligible for the "Winter" tire discount on my insurance.

I think it's a win-win as the OEM Hankook Tires are really lacking during the winter months.

Livio :ca:

Nice tires but in the long run is it not better to simply purchase a set of winter tires on steel rims with TPMS since you live in Ontario?

The tires are one part of the winter solution but what about salt and debris damage to the expensive Platinum wheels?

Hi Sgt, I have the same Explorer that you do from what I can see, a black 2014 Ford Explorer Sport. I am just over two months away from the end of my 3 year lease and I only have 43,000kms (27,000miles) on it. I live close to my office and the truck is cleaned by hand almost every two days or whenever it gets dirty. I replace my daily driver every three years and I have a list of friends who always want to buy my vehicles at the end of my lease. So basically my Explorer is in perfect condition and I simply don't have any issues with salt during the winter months. Lastly, it is less expensive to swap the tires at the beginning and I just drive it for 3 years.

Livio

All weathers will not out perform a dedicated winter set.
The Explorer has a very common bolt pattern and you can always use a dedicated winter set (tires + rims) on your next lease.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All weathers will not out perform a dedicated winter set.
The Explorer has a very common bolt pattern and you can always use a dedicated winter set (tires + rims) on your next lease.

Yes, your absolutely correct.

I actually used to sell tires at one of my previous part time jobs many years ago so I know tires quite well but they didn't have "All Weather" tires back then.

I didn't use Winter tires on my 2014 Explorer and for the most part didn't have any issues other than a few braking issues with the slippery road surface.

Lastly, I received a letter from my Insurance agent just last week so I ended up speaking with them as they wanted to know if I had Winter tires on my Explorer because if I did they would have given me the extra discount.

Livio

Back