98 SOHC Sway Bar Bushings and End Links | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 SOHC Sway Bar Bushings and End Links

chefduane

Texas Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Plano, TX.
Year, Model & Trim Level
None: SOLD 9/16
Just completed front & rear sway bar bushings and end links all around. OEM bushings on the rear and Moog end link kits in the rear. Went for a test drive and really did not notice any difference. Then I did the fronts. Used Moog sway bar bushings (the blue ones) and Moog Problem Solver end links w/ the larger 7/16" bolt and swapped the Moog blue bushings for Energy Suspension bushings. >Significant< difference! MUCH less lean on hard turns and waaay less plunge on hard braking. Did a test drive and then snugged up the front end links a bit. I am very happy with this set up! The ES bushings do need a bit of a shave on the raised shoulder radius to fit into the sway bar at the top and the lower control arm holes, but other than that no issues on install. Two thumbs up for this setup and shout out to swshawaii for the recommendation.

Chef Duane

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cheers Chef Duane! Thanks for getting the word out on this amazing mod. Not only does it reduce lean and front brake dive, it also enhances front end feel significantly. Parts needed are two Moog K7275 end link kits and two Energy Suspension 9.8103 bushing kits. They can also be tightened very hard without splitting or blowing out. Here's some pics if anyone's interested.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2791778&postcount=10

Thanks! Very happy with it. R & L Hub/Bearing assemblies are tomorrow. Next week are inner tie rods and outer tie rod ends on both sides. Then alignment. After that, who knows!?

Good thread.

I'm planning a suspension job on my '96. Would these parts work?

Absolutely. You won't regret it, just ask Chef Duane. ;)

Moog hasn't been good for years, their quality nosedive vs what they used to be like. Pretty rare to hear anything good about them now offroad or on. Energy is the way to go. Planning on doing same as I redo the suspension and do a small lift also. Friend installed Moog on his Jeep, and almost all the Moog pieces were falling apart within like 25k miles. Another did Moog parts on his restored Bronco, samething they just fell apart and that was primarily street driving. He used to have old quality Moog stuff when he used to hard-core offroad it and it held up fine to that abuse, new stuff couldn't even handle street duty lol

The Moog end link bolt/spacer/nuts are 7/16" which are beefier than most other aftermarkets so I'd vouch for them. I wanted a little more stiffness in the bushing so I went with the ES, but frankly, I would not hesitate to have used the Moog bushings if the ES's were not available. Moog still has a pretty good rep even though they may have a few issues now and then. But to each his own.

If anyone is interested, I have the old oem rear end links that are still in good shape. Just need new bushings/inserts. The old front end links and Moog bushings are spoken for.

Moog suspension and steering parts are still the majority choice on this forum for aftermarket parts, by far. Agree Moog's rubber
dust boots and end link bushings are known to fail, but they have great service and honor their warranty with proof of purchase.

JMO

Will this cure front end squeeking?? its driving me crazy I can't figure out where it is coming from...

Will this cure front end squeeking?? its driving me crazy I can't figure out where it is coming from...
It usually does and is the first place to check for front and rear squeaks. Easy way to check is spray penetrant using the small
straw where the sway bar contacts the bushings. Inspect ALL rubber parts that touch metal. If not, it may be worn ball joints.

How to: Replace your sway bar / stabilizer bar bushings and end links
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285772

Easy way to check is spray penetrant using the small
straw where the sway bar contacts the bushings.

NO!

Mineral oil based penetrants will destroy rubber bushes.
Use silicone or just soapy water for testing purposes.

It's ok with PU rubber.

Parts needed are two Moog K7275 end link kits and two Energy Suspension 9.8103 bushing kits.

So you use the Moog links with the Energy Suspension bushes?

Correct Flash, should have specified silicone or PTFE spray. Moog/ES end link combo is the best cost vs. benefit mod I've ever done.

Back