Towing without Tow Package | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing without Tow Package

Just in case anyone here needs more proof.

http://www.trucktestdigest.com/TTDfeatureTrailerTowingIllegally.htm

Anyway, moving past this. To the OP, if I were in your shoes, I'd properly equip my vehicle and do it anyway. Just don't do it often and don't exceed 5000 lbs once you get the oil cooler and tow button installed. There's been stories of people hauling over 2000 lbs cross country and their vehicle performing just fine. Just know that if you DO get into an accident, you will most likely lose a suit if it comes to it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting. In reading the article you quoted - not written by a lawyer - the lawyer quoted says “If the accident is caused by the vehicle being used to tow something it was not designed to tow, this in itself could be an act negligence by the tow [vehicle] driver and under the theory of negligence he could be liable (and most probably would be held liable).” Emphasis added

What you said to start this off was
For the TL;DR (too long didn't read) crowd. Basically you can't legally tow more than 2000 lbs due to your vehicle not being certified by Ford for 5000 lbs. Some people who aren't bothered by the legality have added an oil cooler to their engine and installed the factory tow/haul button on their car to essentially bring their car up to par with the factory tow package. Keep in mind that their MAY be some differences with the transmission as well but I doubt 2 hauls a year at 3000 lbs are going to damage your transmission. In the end, the decision is yours. Just know you're taking a small but still relevant legal and safety risk if you do proceed.

The quote from the lawyer refers to negligence. The same negligence argument can be made about people knowingly driving (no trailer required) with worn tires, damaged suspensions, inoperable lighting, whatever, who then cause damage or injury to others or their property.

So if someone were to tow a 4,000 pound load without the factory tow kit, the lawyer quoted is not saying that act is illegal (making a citation possible for doing so), which you imply. What he does say is that if you get into an accident, the other party may try to show you were acting negligently, which is a decision that would be made in a court of law.

Interesting. In reading the article you quoted - not written by a lawyer - the lawyer quoted says “If the accident is caused by the vehicle being used to tow something it was not designed to tow, this in itself could be an act negligence by the tow [vehicle] driver and under the theory of negligence he could be liable (and most probably would be held liable).” Emphasis added

What you said to start this off was

The quote from the lawyer refers to negligence. The same negligence argument can be made about people knowingly driving (no trailer required) with worn tires, damaged suspensions, inoperable lighting, whatever, who then cause damage or injury to others or their property.

So if someone were to tow a 4,000 pound load without the factory tow kit, the lawyer quoted is not saying that act is illegal (making a citation possible for doing so), which you imply. What he does say is that if you get into an accident, the other party may try to show you were acting negligently, which is a decision that would be made in a court of law.
Last time I checked it's illegal to drive negligently. Do you disagree?

Last time I checked it's illegal to drive negligently. Do you disagree?

That's not what you said. You said

For the TL;DR (too long didn't read) crowd. Basically you can't legally tow more than 2000 lbs due to your vehicle not being certified by Ford for 5000 lbs.

Big difference.

I'd ask you to cite the statutes/jurisdictions you are referring to, but I'm really not that interested.

This thread has entered the realm of idiocy. If the premise is accurate, any modifications to a vehicle with aftermarket parts (wheels, tires, HIDs, suspension, etc) is "illegal" since it Isn't certified by the manufacturer. Have an accident and you're going to be charged and sued, right?

The product liability lawyers for these hitch companies would never allow advertising installed ratings for their products otherwise. Seriously, they wouldn't.

Outside of warranty concerns, this is such a ridiculous non-issue.

Technically any modification to your vehicle is a violation of federal DOT regulations. There are a lot of states that will actually cite you for doing certain modifications, California for example due to CARB certification laws. Many people do mods are skirting the law and do with full knowledge that at any time they can be stopped and ticketed. Just like here in VA you can't have windows tinted more than 35% on the fronts. They sell the stuff in the stores but it is illegal to use on front widows but people do it! There are a lot of mods that people do where it states "Not for highway use" but people do it anyway! NY has laws that prohibit tires from sticking out past the wheel well arches but truck owners do it any way. If you get in an accident in NY they impound all vehicles involved and do a safety inspection. If any mods were done to the vehicle that are not certified for highway use (and this includes asshats that install 26" rims and rubberband tires) you are assigned blame and you will pay the price!

That's not what you said. You said

Big difference.

I'd ask you to cite the statutes/jurisdictions you are referring to, but I'm really not that interested.

How is that a big difference? I said it's illegal to tow more than 2000 and in another post I said you'd be charged with negligence for that illegal act. This is my last reply to you regarding this. I've proved my stance and will move on.

This thread has entered the realm of idiocy. If the premise is accurate, any modifications to a vehicle with aftermarket parts (wheels, tires, HIDs, suspension, etc) is "illegal" since it Isn't certified by the manufacturer. Have an accident and you're going to be charged and sued, right?

The product liability lawyers for these hitch companies would never allow advertising installed ratings for their products otherwise. Seriously, they wouldn't.

Outside of warranty concerns, this is such a ridiculous non-issue.

Exactly as Dr. Plastic stated. Many modifications to vehicles violate the DOT laws. Example, putting in HID bulbs (illegal because not approved by DOT), changing out tail lights and headlights from 3rd parties like Recon (illegal because not DOT approved), putting in blue or purple headlight bulbs (illegal because not DOT approved). Do cops do anything about it?? Most don't... Ford and every manufacturer has to have MANY items of a vehicle approved by DOT before they can put a sellable vehicle on the road.

DCO43054 - This isn't a debate about whether one would or wouldn't get in trouble. Our posts are just that one CAN be held liable for towing above what the vehicle is rated for by the manufacturer.

It is only about putting out there so an owner can make their OWN informed decision.

I tow heavy with my truck (14,000lbs) and I have to follow the Manufacturer's certification to insure I tow legally. It is no different whether it is a F350, an Explorer, a Chevy 3500 or a Toyota Highlander. All vehicles are certified when they leave the plant for a certain tow spec and that is the spec the vehicle is allowed. Let me be very clear, NO MODIFICATIONS that one does to a vehicle will ever increase that spec LEGALLY.

As I stated above, I can't take a F250 that is rated for 10,000lbs and put the F350's helper spring on the rear end and change the 2" blocks to 4" blocks and now tow 11,500lbs that a F350 is certified for.

I can't put the dually rear end on my F350 and tow what a F450 is rated for. It is no different then the explorer or ANY OTHER vehicle out there.

Now this thread is getting out of hand and a little silly. We are stating facts AGAIN just so an owner can make THEIR OWN informed decision. Don't fill this thread with comments of "guessing" as opposed to FACTS. The average person may not realize this but because I know the laws because of the weight I tow, I can tell you for damn sure that if I got into an accident from someone towing, I'll be damn sure that the weight and certification is the first thing I have my insurance company and lawyer check. If people don't want to follow the laws then that is on them but I always tow legally and within spec.

I've repeated myself enough, I'm done with this thread.. you guys can continue to argue back and forth but you are incorrect with what you are saying.

Aftermarket HID systems are illegal if they are installed without the DOT required leveling system. Every car that has HID (Xenon) systems that are factory installed will see them go thru a level check when turned on. That is a fact. These cars have transducers attached to all corners of the car that measure suspension angle and adjust the beam in realtime to prevent blinding oncoming drivers.

If you don't think towing will be a problem needs to read up on the Firestone/Ford Explorer lawsuits. One even included U-haul in the suit. U-haul no longer rents to Explorer owners except to 2011 and up owners. Liability is a contentous issue and one I wish to not do anything that would put me in a position to be caught up in!

My issue with this whole cluster is that when the word "legally" is used, you better be able to back it up with a reference to the law that is being broken by the action being taken, and in which jurisdiction. Throwing legal terms around and making general reference to theories of law and government agencies does not cut it.

We can all debate what is reasonable, or is just not a good idea. That is a matter of personal opinion or experience.

My issue with this whole cluster is that when the word "legally" is used, you better be able to back it up with a reference to the law that is being broken by the action being taken, and in which jurisdiction. Throwing legal terms around and making general reference to theories of law and government agencies does not cut it.

We can all debate what is reasonable, or is just not a good idea. That is a matter of personal opinion or experience.

Since you asked

http://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2012/06/are-blue-xenon-hid-headlights-legal.html

http://www.powerbulbs.com/us/blog/2010/03/are-xenon-hid-kits-legal

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/texas-laws-and-information-concerning-hid-lights.83185/

http://www.criminaljusticedegreesguide.com/uncategorized/10-common-illegal-alterations-made-to-cars.html

It is, in fact, illegal to tow at more than your vehicle is rated. The same laws apply to passenger vehicles as commercial vehicles when it comes to being overweight and such. If you're Ex is rated for 2k, and you're towing 5k you can be ticketed for it.

It's that simple.

Breaking up the legal begal talk for a moment.... i have a custom built 2014 explorer limited and Did not somehow add the tow oackage. How do you go about getting the button and a ford one installed... i just want it to tow my kiddos bikes...never dreaming I would use one since we have a F250. I don't want an after market one. It is possible to get a ford one.a

I don't believe you can, as they are behind the bumper. So you'd need a new bumper as well.

I'd worry more about causing an accident in which someone else got hurt or killed than the damage to the Ex. Imagine the hitch failing on a busy road - the following vehicle could easily collide with it and cause a multi-vehicle accident.

The first thing any investigator will do is look at what failed and why. You could be opening yourself up to severe liability, which your insurance will not help defray.

If the OP's need is so infrequent, he would be better renting a vehicle with enough towing capacity for the one day.

The tow hitch and the bumper inserts can be ordered from Ford as a kit, mine is sitting on the porch because I've been busy. I ordered mine from a Dealer online.

The harness's you have to order as well.

Get the switch to enable tow mode and the oil cooler.

Call it a day and tow your stuff.

Need to know if I can tow more than 2000 lbs with my 2014 3.5L engine with the standard chasis or is a different towing package needed.

Do you have factory tow package?

I'm curious as well. I have a 2019 limited with the 3.5L V6 & the oem tow package....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have factory tow package?
No, I don't - bought the car used and had a light hitch put on for towing a jet ski but wondering if I can upgrade to be able to tow more.

Back