• Register Today It's free!

Am I being scammed?

cpumatt

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi, all. So, I went into an oil change place before my trip up north just to quickly get it done after being busy all week, and as the man is changing the filter and what not he tells me my front crank seal is leaking oil and that he recommends Lucas Oil Stop Leak (HELL no). The only thing is, I don't drip in my driveway. So, I've since put 1000 miles and I am still not seeing a drip. At the oil place, they tried telling me that it only leaks when I drive, but honestly I want to call BS. After those 1000 miles, my oil isn't noticeably lower either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

He could have said "rear main seal". Either way please get a picture of the front and rear of your oil pan, including the lower side of the crank pulley.

Parts wear. when they fail it can be like a light bulb, good then bad now. There is no way of knowing if you are being scammed without looking at the problem area well. Any suggestion one way or the other over the internet is pure speculation.

Edit
A small rear seal leak on our trucks might not leave a driveway spot. Usually the oil drips to the exhaust and gets burned off.

He could have said "rear main seal". Either way please get a picture of the front and rear of your oil pan, including the lower side of the crank pulley.

Parts wear. when they fail it can be like a light bulb, good then bad now. There is no way of knowing if you are being scammed without looking at the problem area well. Any suggestion one way or the other over the internet is pure speculation.

I know for a fact he said front main. He said it was off of the harmonic balancer and I wrote it down instantly. I will get those pics soon.

Lay under the front of the truck... Look up at the front of the engine. Is it wet? Then yes, you have a leak. Is it dry? Then no, it's not leaking.

It's very likely you have a slight leak, that won't leak enough to even drip on the ground. You do check your oil level regularly, right?

The front main seal weeps a little bit on my 96 even though its new. Maybe I ddin't install it completely square, I don't know. But its such a slow leak that I don't care.

You made the right decision not using stop leak. It may have been a standard sales pitch to everyone who comes in there. The profit margin on that is probably like 1000% (They were probably charging like $30 for it, right?)

The front main seal weeps a little bit on my 96 even though its new. Maybe I ddin't install it completely square, I don't know. But its such a slow leak that I don't care.

You made the right decision not using stop leak. It may have been a standard sales pitch to everyone who comes in there. The profit margin on that is probably like 1000% (They were probably charging like $30 for it, right?)

$50, actually. So I was trying to be as polite as possible when refusing. He had actually already rung it up on my bill. I would've been livid if they put it in without my permission. I do check my oil regularly too.

All of that black stuff in the picture was grime that was easily scrapable with my finger.

All of that black stuff in the picture was grime that was easily scrapable with my finger.

Where do you think the grime came from? Possibly a front main seal leak?
Lucas Stop Leak is good, so is Rislone but I wouldn't worry about it if there's no noticeable loss on the dipstick.

Just be aware that it won't go away unless you replace the seal.

Back