No oil pressure/98 5.0 <Knocking> | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No oil pressure/98 5.0 <Knocking>

Jaimec

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
Ok, I fear the worst, but here goes.

I put some seafoam in the wife's 98 5.0 4wd Ex with the intention of driving it for a bit and changing the oil. Problem was, life got in the way, and I haven't had a chance to change the oil.

Today, she was driving up a long, brutal hill, when the she said the oil pressure gauge started jumping around. Then it hit zero, and the engine started to knock. She had her 9yo grand daughter and our dog in the car, so decided not to pull over on the side of the highway. Instead, she drove it for about 2 miles!!! :(

Towed it home and checked the oil, which is fine. Smells and looks ok, but it's synthetic, so that doesn't tell me much. Turned the ignition on. Zero oil pressure. Turned it over for a second and yes, it's knocking :(

I know it is foolish to be this optimistic, but I'm hoping that some gunk in the engine worked loose and plugged either the pump or the pan itself. My hope is that I can clean it and the motor is not fried.

I read on another post that draining the oil and putting diesel in and letting it sit to loosen the crud may help. If so, how much do I add? Also, do I simply put it in the oil inlet tube?

Any other ideas?

Any help would be awesome, as we are seriously broke right now, as she isn't working, and being down to one vehicle would really, really, suck. Paying for repairs or buying a new engine/vehicle are simply *not* options, either :(

Thank you!

Jaime

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, she valued more the inconvenience over the car... And of course it will be your fault, for not changing the oil in time, don't even try to point that to her.

To get inside the oil pan on an AWD (that's what you have), you need to take the engine out.
Or drop the whole front end, differential, steering rack...
It is a lot of labor.

We all have to live with the choices we make.

. . . I put some seafoam in the wife's 98 5.0 4wd Ex with the intention of driving it for a bit and changing the oil. Problem was, life got in the way, and I haven't had a chance to change the oil.

Today, she was driving up a long, brutal hill, when the she said the oil pressure gauge started jumping around. Then it hit zero, and the engine started to knock. . .

I don't know how much Seafoam you added or what the instructions are when adding it but I suspect it acts like most engine flushes that warn not to drive the vehicle with flush added. I suspect the flush severely thins the oil surface coating from the bearings which results in rapid bearing wear under load. As you posted however, there's a chance that globs of sludge blocked the oil pickup screen starving the oil pump or blocked the oil filter causing it to bypass filtration. My suggestion is to drain the oil from the pan and check for fine metal particles. Also, remove the oil filter and cut it open looking for particles. If you don't find any particles, then add inexpensive oil and filter then listen to how it sounds at idle in Park. If it quiets down then let it idle until reaching operating temperature and then change the oil and filter again.

If it's knocking it's done for. Live and learn and stay away from snake oil. If you do use an additive, be sure to follow the instructions.

I don't know how much Seafoam you added or what the instructions are when adding it but I suspect it acts like most engine flushes that warn not to drive the vehicle with flush added. I suspect the flush severely thins the oil surface coating from the bearings which results in rapid bearing wear under load. As you posted however, there's a chance that globs of sludge blocked the oil pickup screen starving the oil pump or blocked the oil filter causing it to bypass filtration. My suggestion is to drain the oil from the pan and check for fine metal particles. Also, remove the oil filter and cut it open looking for particles. If you don't find any particles, then add inexpensive oil and filter then listen to how it sounds at idle in Park. If it quiets down then let it idle until reaching operating temperature and then change the oil and filter again.

Seafoam can be driven. I added the right amount. I dumped the oil tonight and it was just oil, no clumps.

Out of curiosity: how many miles on that engine?
Seafoam can be driven. I added the right amount. I dumped the oil tonight and it was just oil, no clumps.

Out of curiosity: how many miles on that engine?

Really doesn't matter. Once it's knocking the bearings are ruined. It could be because of the Seafoam, as it thins the oil viscosity, it could be the oil pump failed or it could be that the engine is just worn out. In any case a rebuild (or engine replacement) is now required to save it. With proper maintenance the 5.0's are easily capable of 300,000k miles or more, but eventually every engine just wears out.

My thought on oil additives is that if premium oils needed that stuff in it the oil manufactures would have put it in there and charged more money for it.

My thought on oil additives is that if premium oils needed that stuff in it the oil manufactures would have put it in there and charged more money for it.
Well, for some stuff they do. Look at any High-Mileage oils, or Castrol Magnatec that 'clings' to metal... examples can go on.
But yes, not all add-on things should be trusted. Or really follow the directions.

For example Seafoam is great to dissolve varnishes, but is that safe for lubrication the bearings? Where are those dissolved varnishes end up? Will the oil filter be clogged-up and block the oil flow? What kind of by-pass the oil filter has?

Put some 10w30 and a bottle of lucas oil stabilizer in it. If you still have a dancing needle go with 2 bottles of lucas and 3 qts of oil. At this point the bearings are toast but thick oil can keep a 302 alive for MANY miles with a knock. I had one I put over 20k miles on one with a dancing needle when warm and worn oil. It sill was running good when I sold it for cheap a few years back.

Mine takes 20W50 now to avoid the 'dancing needle'. But mine is not knocking and he has probably zero pressure.

Back