2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Having the 2-1 bump in my '08 4.6 explorer. Going to take it to the ford dealership this week, armed with TSB 08-4-16. Will post results. Can anyone verify the transmission fluid change interval is 150k miles on the 6r60?

That is the interval prescribed by Ford, but I've heard it really needs to be done more often (a Ford tech that makes Youtube videos says it should be done every 60,000 miles after first being done at 30,000 miles).

That is the interval prescribed by Ford, but I've heard it really needs to be done more often (a Ford tech that makes Youtube videos says it should be done every 60,000 miles after first being done at 30,000 miles).

Several years ago, my dealer also said it should be done much more frequently, suggesting that waiting to 150k will get me new fluid in the replacement transmission. They got the fluid replacement $$ out of me and that fixed my rather severe (alarming to passengers) bump down problem. :salute:

Several years ago, my dealer also said it should be done much more frequently, suggesting that waiting to 150k will get me new fluid in the replacement transmission. They got the fluid replacement $$ out of me and that fixed my rather severe (alarming to passengers) bump down problem. :salute:

Yeah, Ford really screwed up by prescribing it at 150,000 miles. I had to get my fluid replaced as I was having a shudder (felt like the TQ going bad) and that fixed that problem. I still have the jerky problem, but apparently it's a solenoid problem and I don't feel like paying the money to get it fixed when the trans works fine otherwise.

recent experience with hard down shift from 2 -1

I just purchased a used 2007 Mountaineer with the 6 speed and 150k miles on it . On the way home it felt like some one hit the back of the car it downshifted so hard. I put about 1k miles on it and the down shift would hit at random times from 2nd to first.
After reading this thread I figured it was worth taking the gamble to have Ford do the update. I mentioned the 8-24-4 update and they said they would do it for $133 plus tax. The service guy was clear it was a gamble but the only other option was to replace the trans so I gave it a shot. They said that there was a good amount of driving to relearn and they kept it for a extra day to let the one guy they trusted do the driving. I picked it up today for $142.81 and it had another 50 miles on it so they def drove it. It seems to be downshifting perfectly now with now harsh bump between 2nd and first. I will post back if the symptoms return if not assume its still all good. I hate those threads you read 20 pages deep and than no one follows up lol .
2007 mountaineer v8

Nice! Glad to hear it seems to have fixed it for you.

I had update 8-24-4 done at my local ford dealership a couple months ago. They told me it will take the trannys computer 1000 miles to "learn the drivers style." Its been 2000 miles since the update and i still get a small kick from 2 to 1 when coming to a stop. Not perfect, but much better.

I have put about 1k miles on since the update and so far all is good. Still no bump when down shifting from 2 to 1. Thanks to everyone in this thread I was able to correct the issue.

I just had the PCM and TCM updates done today at work on my '07 Limited 4.6/6R60 with 102k...

Wow!...big difference in the drivability. It runs/drives like it should now...much smoother, no more hard low speed down shifts, and up shifts on acceleration like a normal transmission!
I hope it stays like this.

08 mountaineer. Same ****ty shift issue. Unfortunately I bought it used 3 years ago from a shady little dealer and alright had 2 have the tranny rebuilt. ****ty shift seemed 2 get worse after rebuild. The tranny shop told me the truck learns with how I drive. I'm insulted... I do not drive like ****. So how do I go about getting this software update?

You have to take it to the dealer and ask them to reflash the transmission with the latest software, however I believe a 2008 should already have the latest flash. It may not fix the issue anyway though as another problem that can cause poor shifting is that the solenoids in the transmission can get contaminated which is something like $1000 to get fixed.

Back