• Register Today It's free!

Idenifying a 5r55s

shawn022

Reaction score
City, State
Williamsburg VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 2WD
How can you tell the difference from a 5r55s and a 5r55w? And 5r55e's have a dipstick,correct? I have a line on one that is out of the vehicle so I want to make sure it is the right one. Im needing a 5r55s 4.0 2wd. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Idenifying a 5r55s

Look for an Explorer on the back of a flatbed tow truck. Thats how.

Haha. I always think timing chains when I see that.

Pretty sure that was a serious question

Pretty sure that was a serious question

Yes, definitely a serious question. Anyone have an answer? I've read that it doesn't matter if it's a 5r55s or5r55w, they'll both work. But then again, you can't believe everything you read on the Internet.

How can you tell the difference from a 5r55s and a 5r55w? And 5r55e's have a dipstick,correct? I have a line on one that is out of the vehicle so I want to make sure it is the right one. Im needing a 5r55s 4.0 2wd. Thanks

There is no way to identify the 5R55S from the 5R55W without taking it apart, the 5R55E looks different and has a dipstick.

The 5R55S and W can be swapped around, but I think the later models will set the check engine light for gear ratios errors. Somewhere around the 04 and later models, I am not positive on this but I did read it somewhere in a tech bulletin.

There is no way to identify the 5R55S from the 5R55W without taking it apart, the 5R55E looks different and has a dipstick.

The 5R55S and W can be swapped around, but I think the later models will set the check engine light for gear ratios errors. Somewhere around the 04 and later models, I am not positive on this but I did read it somewhere in a tech bulletin.

Thank you.

You should also be able to tell by the tag on the side of the trans if it is still on it.
Bob T

You should also be able to tell by the tag on the side of the trans if it is still on it.
Bob T

Would the tag actually say 5r55s/w or would it be some type of code? Thanks

It would be a code. I am pretty sure I was able to do a search with the numbers and it told me what it was. Also if it is still with the car you can look at the plate on the drivers door under tr for trans and if it is a 5r55s there should be a "v" there.
Bob T

The top numbers on mine are 4L2P 7000 AB. Mine is a 5r55s with a code "v" on door tag under tr for trans.
Bob T
:usa:

Well, I'm still after a transmission since getting the run around from the seller. Usually its the buyer that backs out but not in this case.

Back