Shift to Park Warning | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift to Park Warning

Hi all,

This has been happening in my wife's 2012 Explorer. We are out of warranty, and I didn't feel like fighting issues on an extended warranty so I plan to do the replacement myself.

Can someone verify CT4Z-7210-KC is the part I need for a 2012 Limited?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shift to park resolved

My shift to park problem with my 2011 explorer was fixed yesterday by my dealer. They ordered the new parts which took about a week to come in. I did have the extended warranty so it only cost me the $100 deductible. It's funny that I finally used the ex-warrantry because I just ordered a 2016 Explorer and I was thinking about not taking the ex warranty . Don't know what they would have charged me, but I will find out.

Hi all,

This has been happening in my wife's 2012 Explorer. We are out of warranty, and I didn't feel like fighting issues on an extended warranty so I plan to do the replacement myself.

Can someone verify CT4Z-7210-KC is the part I need for a 2012 Limited?

Thanks!

Contact these guys.. they sell at 10% above cost.

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oe-ford/ct4z7210kc

They can run your VIN and verify the correct part.

My shift to park problem with my 2011 explorer was fixed yesterday by my dealer. They ordered the new parts which took about a week to come in. I did have the extended warranty so it only cost me the $100 deductible. It's funny that I finally used the ex-warrantry because I just ordered a 2016 Explorer and I was thinking about not taking the ex warranty . Don't know what they would have charged me, but I will find out.

$250-$275 for the repair.. Parts are about $150-$160 retail plus an hour labor at most for this.

I had the same issue. 2013 Explorer sport, still under warranty. Took it in and the dealer replaced the shifter, but they put in the wrong one - the one with the shift buttons that aren't hooked up to anything. Now I'll be taking it in again for the proper shift lever.

Shift to Park warning chime

Sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't find anything related under the search.

About a week ago, the "Shift to Park" notification started going off periodically when turning off our '13 Explorer Limited. At first it was just here and there and shifting it out and back to park did the trick. Now it is coming on 90% of the time and wants to keep the car from locking. The car is actually in park.

Along with this in the last few weeks we also got a check engine notification with 'Check fuel fill inlet' coming up. Anyone had this issue?

Seems like once we went over 75k the trouble is starting to pile on.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Planning on taking it to the dealer next week, but kind of want to have an idea of how big of bankroll I'm going to need to bring.

Welcome to the Forum kstateskier.:wavey:
A quick 'Search' brought up this existing thread and I have merged yours with it. As for the fuel filler door, have you checked that the little flap inside the filler tube is actually closing all the way? There is also a thread on that; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394511&highlight=check+fuel+fill

It would also be helpful in addressing future concerns if you add the model of your Explorer to your profile. That way it always shows in the margin when you post.

Peter

this was happen to my ex last week. i had an appoinment to my dealer on monday. my ex has 37000mileage, obvoiusly out of warranty. iddnt get ESP. what would i expect my dealer? do they will change the whole shifter assembly? and how much it would cost me? or just adjust the shifter cable?

$150 or so for the parts and Id say 1-2 hours of labor.

Just recently started with the Shift to Park issue and I thought it was me and have been trying different things each day. Today I searched the problem on here, doh!

Thanks for all the info! Will have to make an appointment tomorrow, 2011 Limited.

So, I just took my 2014 Explorer Sport into the dealer today as the new shifter they ordered came in. My dealer normally treats me pretty good but as in a few other posts, it appears they installed the wrong shifter. I now have a fatter shifter that looks kinda like the one in my 2013 F150 FX4 with the +/- button on the side that doesn't work BTW. So, after reading this thread it appears that Ford may have a part number issue or its not clear what a dealer should order for a Sport model. I've contacted my service rep and he is going to verify with the parts manager on Monday. He did say that Ford may come back and say that is the new part but that makes no sense since it has non-functioning buttons. That won't fly with most any customer out there. Has anyone who got the wrong shifter on a Sport had the dealer replace it with the right part number? If so, can you provide the right part number that should be ordered?

Thanks,

Chad

After a little more research, they ordered CT4Z-7210-KC but I'm thinking they should have ordered CT4Z-7210-FB which would include the shift knob without the +/- button on the side and be the correct size for the Sport.

All of the parts for the complete shifter kits are the same I believe except for the shift knob. Shift knob part number for CT4Z-7210-FB is BT4Z-7213-FA. I think my dealer should probably just order the correct knob since they already replaced the shifter assembly from the CT4Z-7210-KC kit.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Chad

Mine was fixed today 2011 Explorer Limited, they put in a new shifter with the +/- button. So far all is well and no shift to park issue. The +/- button doesn't do a thing though. :)

They also did the TSB on my NAV issue with the NAV screen looking like I was driving off the road while I am actually on the road and getting completely lost, hopefully that is fixed as well but it will take a while to see about that. They reprogrammed the GPS if I recall.

Shift to park cost me $100 which is my deductible on the Premium ESP I have with Ford.

Mine was fixed today 2011 Explorer Limited, they put in a new shifter with the +/- button. So far all is well and no shift to park issue. The +/- button doesn't do a thing though. :)

They also did the TSB on my NAV issue with the NAV screen looking like I was driving off the road while I am actually on the road and getting completely lost, hopefully that is fixed as well but it will take a while to see about that. They reprogrammed the GPS if I recall.

Shift to park cost me $100 which is my deductible on the Premium ESP I have with Ford.

Why doesn't your +/- buttons work on a limited? Am I incorrect in that all limiteds can manually change gears??? Mine does...

I just had the GPS update as well and all seems ok so far. I had printed off many pictures including the times showing on MFT that displayed 5+ minutes of "no gps".

Also had my blind spot monitoring software updated as it was triggering vehicles when there were no cars on the road and had the ambient software update to stop it from defaulting back to ice blue.

Did you have the shifter in the 'M' position when you tried the +/- switch?

Peter

I was wrong!! The +/- works like a charm now that I tried it again. Not sure what I was looking at before, maybe I did have in wrong position?

Also, did have a no GPS while under heavy tree branches for a while this AM but the NAV was tracking properly. Still will have to test on this but so far good.

Anyway, so far so good!! Happy Camper! :D

watch this video very helpful and at leas you can resolved the problem easier than moving the shifter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVah49uZx3U

If you took the time to read through the thread, it has been posted many times by me as well as others that the trigger button is the issue and requires the shifter to be replaced.

Nothing new.. that youtube video he says $1,300... it is a $100 part and an hour of labor if you have the dealer do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2013 Explorer Limited "Shift to Park"

We have a 2013 Explorer Limited and lately it is have giving us a "shift to park" error when it is in park. Sometimes restarting and stopping the engine will fix it, other times we have to just ignore it and leave it. On top of that the battery died for no reason last night. I'm getting really frustrated with this vehicle.

It has 50K miles on it so it is out of warranty.

Back