2006 6r60 trans fluid change.....anyone? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 6r60 trans fluid change.....anyone?

Bottom Line

I guess after reading all of these replies that even do it yourselfers are lining up at the dealers for this job. It looks like that is where I'm headed (i'm wearing a bag over my head though).
Gr-r-r-r.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just my 2 cents:

I am doing just flushes at the dealer every 60k. I am closing on 180k so it's time again. I tow and plow (non commercially) and the tranny still feels strong. Never dropped the pan or filter.

OK, Just to add to the confusion...

I went to my local dealer today to pick up a filter, a gasket (just in case I need it) and 8 qts of Mercon-SP.

The parts guy was able to get the correct filter ($51) and gasket ($15) for me. When he asked how many qts of Mercon-SP I wanted, I told him I was only doing a pan drop and a filter change, and that I thought I would need between 3 and 4 qts.

He suggested it sounded low, and he (without me) went out to the shop floor to ask one of the techs. He came back and said the tech said that "We don't do just the pan-drop and filter, we do a complete flush, so I am really not sure how much a pan-drop and filter change would take. I would get 8 qts and return what you don't use".

I explained (to the parts guy) that the Ford shop manual does not recommend a flush because of the thermostatic nature of the fluid path. He (the parts guy) said "that's a whole different story" and really just blew me off (he really didn't want to discuss it with me), so I just completed my purchase and went on my way.

So my question, (like many here on the forum) is:

1. Is there an official Ford recommendation to flush and
2. If so, where (if at all) is it documented?

Could the tech be confusing 6R60 with another transmission?

Thanks.

This is just my opinion and experience:

The shop manual for the 6R60 trans states " The transmission has an internal thermal bypass valve contained within the case. The thermal bypass valve will not allow the use of any type of transmission machine to be used on this transmission." page 307-01B-4, 2006 Explorer, Mountaineer, 10/2005.

So if any dealer or trans shop says they will do a flush, consider walking away.

When I had my truck in for service about 5 years ago(when still under warranty), the dealer said they only do pan drops and filter change. The bill included for filter and 7 ltrs of SP.

The gasket is reusable, so do not buy/pay for a new one. Its a silicone/steel shim type gasket, much like the valve cover gaskets of the 5litre Mustang. Don't think you can find a more durable and leak proof gasket. If I recall correctly, its stamped on the bottom of the pan that the gasket is reusable.

SP is for 6R60 trans, LV is for 6R80 trans. Don't know if there is a TSB for using LV in a 6R60, maybe someone else can chime in on that.

I did a pan drop last year myself, here was my method: (PROCEED @ YOUR OWN RISK)

- because the pan is so shallow, I used a mity vac hand tool and removed about 4 qts of fluid. Then with a big drain pan, slowly removed the trans pan and gasket. Fluid was somewhat dark (not burnt) and bottom of pan was clean with no sludge.
- changed filter. (be ready for a fluid shower)
- used a one gallon garden sprayer to pump new fluid in.
- took slightly more than 7 qts.
- measure what you remove, replace with same qty.
- torque spec is 10 ft/lbs for the pan bolts.
- be very careful of the converter and exhaust pipe behind the pan. consider the use of a heat/ welding blanket when checking hot fluid level.
- also consider adding a drain plug when the pan is down.

Sorry for the long post, but this is how I did a pan drop and filter change on a 6R60 trans.

Check out this guy's videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQe11789HsQ

Like Bill said, this guy says it almost always takes 7.5 quarts to refill after a pan drop and he does not recommend ever flushing the 6R60. He also says you should replace the fluid more often than Ford says (I think he recommends first changing it at 30,000 along with the filter, then at 60,000 miles, then every 60,000 miles after that).

I'm headed to my dealer to have this done on my 6R60 too. Most things I'm a total DIY'er, but sometimes it just makes sense to have the dealer do it and avoid the mess.

This is just my opinion and experience:

The shop manual for the 6R60 trans states " The transmission has an internal thermal bypass valve contained within the case. The thermal bypass valve will not allow the use of any type of transmission machine to be used on this transmission." page 307-01B-4, 2006 Explorer, Mountaineer, 10/2005.

So if any dealer or trans shop says they will do a flush, consider walking away.

Unfortunately, I did not know this, and did not walk away. My dealer did a flush at 200,000 km (124,300 miles). Instant loss of fuel efficiency. Went looking for answers and much later found the story on SP vs. LV fluids. On checking the service notes, I found they used Mercon LV in the flush. Went back and questioned, and they agreed to re-flush with SP. This was after 30,000 additional km (18,645 miles).

Does anyone know what the symptoms might be for transmission problems resulting from this error? I saw an instantaneous increase in fuel consumption. Seems to be worsening.
Obviously, if flush doesn't work, I must now be running a mix of LV and SP. Is it too late?

Thanks

I can't imagine LV doing that much damage, it's used on the 6R80's. I would drop the pan, and also re flush one more time. There are places in the tranny where it can't get all the fluid out, but repeating it should help.

TNWT:
Don't let anyone do a flush, demand a pan drop. Offer to pay for a new filter only. It needs to be changed as there is a considerable amount of fluid above the filter that need to be removed. It will be a mix of sp and lv.

For anyone that is considering doing their own fluid and filter change, install a drain plug, They are <10 bucks. You will thank yourself the next time you have to drop the pan.

I can't imagine LV doing that much damage, it's used on the 6R80's. I would drop the pan, and also re flush one more time. There are places in the tranny where it can't get all the fluid out, but repeating it should help.
All the Ford info that I have found, right up to this year, shows that the 6R60 MUST use Mercon SP. Yes, the 6R80 uses Mercon LV, but not the 6R60 (2006-2008) or the 6HP26 (2005-2008). Those are the only 2 transmissions that require SP - and they are only listed for those years. The July 2016 version 8 of the Ford Automatic Transmission Fluid Chart states that "Use of any other fluid may cause reduced functionality or transmission damage." The dealer actually checked the up-to-date service bulletins and dealership service hot line to confirm that when I informed them of the error. There must be some reason for that continuing requirement for those specific transmissions. They obviously fixed the problem after 2008 by eliminating those 2 transmission models.
I remain concerned.

I use AMSOIL and and extremely happy with it. Merts spec for SP and LV.

I second the instillation of drain plug on the pan, makes life super easy. I did it with a 1/8 npt tap and brass plug. Installed the drain plug on the wife's Explorer and my Expedition

I just had my transmission flushed at Ford at 115k miles. Asked about dropping pan and swapping filters, they said they don't do that as flushing has better results. I actually called 3 dealers and a local shop and they all said the same thing. I had what appeared to be some torque converter issues (rumble strip affect) at 40-50mph on a slight incline and some harsh shifts... All gone after tranny flush.

so ive done a search and cant seem to find much info. has anyone done a transmission pan drop and filter change on a 2006-2010 explorer with the 6r60 6spd transmission? my 2006 EB currently has 62,000 miles and id like to drop the pan and change the fluid and filter. I will be using motorcraft mercon SP with a motorcraft filter and I have a fluid pump to fill it back up. my question is has anyone else done this on their own? or is everyone going to the dealer? how much fluid will I need? just wondering if theres any problems I will run into. thanks
I just recently changed the transmission fluid and filter on my 2006 Ford Explorer 4.6L 6R60 transmission. There are several good post on you-tube for this job. Best one was by a Ford mechanic using the name: FordTecMakuloco I bought seven quarts of Mercon SP and the factory transmission filter. I recommend putting the car up on ramps of jack stands and make sure the car is level both on the side of the car and rear side. Next loosen a 3/4 nut located at the front top of the transmission on the passenger side of car. Do this slowly as there is vacuum pressure in the transmission. The pan has 21 8mm bolts and if you loosen bolts at the ends and then leave them in with a few threads you can remove the bolts on the sides. It's a messy job anyway you do it, but I use a concrete mixing tub to catch fluid and it is big enough to catch fluid draining from all sides of the transmission. Next get a couple plastic empty one gallon milk jugs and carefully empty old fluid. This will give you an estimate of how much fluid has been drained. Clean the pan and gasket and install the new filter. Make sure the orange gasket on the old filter is removed. Install pan and hand start all the bolts then just tighten bolts evenly using a crisscross sequence. Again tighten all bolts using a torque wrench to 98 inch pounds. Use a crisscross pattern for torqueing bolts. I drained out approximately 5.5 quarts. So using a small pump with a clear plastic tube, I added this amount of fluid. Then started the car in park and let it idle until it warmed up to a normal temp settings. Remove the small yellow plastic dipstick from the 3/4 inch nut to check fluid level. After engine is warmed up check fluid level and add additional fluid until the level is in the cross hash marks on the dipstick. WARNING, while doing this, be very careful of the catalytic converter near the fill hole on the transmission. Install dipstick and 3/4 inch nut and check for leaks.

The fordtech has a great video

OK, Just to add to the confusion...

I went to my local dealer today to pick up a filter, a gasket (just in case I need it) and 8 qts of Mercon-SP.

The parts guy was able to get the correct filter ($51) and gasket ($15) for me. When he asked how many qts of Mercon-SP I wanted, I told him I was only doing a pan drop and a filter change, and that I thought I would need between 3 and 4 qts.

He suggested it sounded low, and he (without me) went out to the shop floor to ask one of the techs. He came back and said the tech said that "We don't do just the pan-drop and filter, we do a complete flush, so I am really not sure how much a pan-drop and filter change would take. I would get 8 qts and return what you don't use".

I explained (to the parts guy) that the Ford shop manual does not recommend a flush because of the thermostatic nature of the fluid path. He (the parts guy) said "that's a whole different story" and really just blew me off (he really didn't want to discuss it with me), so I just completed my purchase and went on my way.

So my question, (like many here on the forum) is:

1. Is there an official Ford recommendation to flush and
2. If so, where (if at all) is it documented?

Could the tech be confusing 6R60 with another transmission?

Thanks.
Your right there is a thermal valve in the transmission. Doing a flush on these only cleans out the oil cooler, it won't clean out the transmission. I've seen the thermal valve and there is no way to energize it with a scan tool. Thus the reason why ford does not recommend flushing these. Hope this helps.

Same as the post above - if the dealership says they are going to use a machine to "flush" the 6R60, consider asking for a technician or service advisor who actually knows what they are doing. The bypass valve IN the transmission doesn't allow flow to the radiator until the internal fluid temp is above 190F if remember correctly.

The correct procedure is to do a pan drop and refill.

SP is the correct fluid for original 2006-08 6R60 units. Later 6R80's took LV. The 6R60 is one of the only units that was orignally an SP unit that still requires it (and not LV).

In my case, I elected to let the dealer do it, since laying on my back under a hot vehicle with my hand next to the exhaust to check the hot fluid level didn't sound like fun. I was billed for 8 quarts of SP fluid.

so ive done a search and cant seem to find much info. has anyone done a transmission pan drop and filter change on a 2006-2010 explorer with the 6r60 6spd transmission? my 2006 EB currently has 62,000 miles and id like to drop the pan and change the fluid and filter. I will be using motorcraft mercon SP with a motorcraft filter and I have a fluid pump to fill it back up. my question is has anyone else done this on their own? or is everyone going to the dealer? how much fluid will I need? just wondering if theres any problems I will run into. thanks

Did mine. It is a 6-speed. Drained existing and replaced with MerconSP. Took about 7 qts. SP is hard to find. Advance Auto seems to carry it. You can reuse the original gasket. I originally replaced with filter from autozone and it was a mistake. Truck would not run right. Use the OEM for this one. Fill nut/dipstick is on the bottom of transmision. You'll need to get fluid level right. Fill to bottom of fluid level range, then get tranny up to heat, idle in park and fill to level. I used a cheap hand pump to fill. Think about it as doing an oil change without having a drain hole. Pan can be dropped with minimal/no obstruction. Leave a few bolts loose and in place to get fluid flowing into a large pan. I used a cat litter tub we had lying around. You'll sabve $100+ doing it yourself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great posts guys. Thank you. I just did the same thing but my gasket was not reusable. Had small pieces of the inner rubber (black) coming off. I put in 5 qts. of SP before it got dark but i am sure it will need more. Everyone else's seems to have gone up to 7 qts.
Can I leave just the little yellow dipstick while it warms up or do i need do put the metal plug back on every-time while it warms up and I check the level?

Tip: Buy the motocraft filter, the one I got from Advanced Auto Parts was the wrong one.
#2 -check the cooler lines, mine were both leaking, seems the radiator was aftermarket and the Dorman 800-621 connectors were too deep.
Took the advice of one of the smart fellas here and installed new o-rings all around.

More to come tomorrow.

Did mine. It is a 6-speed. Drained existing and replaced with MerconSP. Took about 7 qts. SP is hard to find. Advance Auto seems to carry it. You can reuse the original gasket. I originally replaced with filter from autozone and it was a mistake. Truck would not run right. Use the OEM for this one. Fill nut/dipstick is on the bottom of transmision. You'll need to get fluid level right. Fill to bottom of fluid level range, then get tranny up to heat, idle in park and fill to level. I used a cheap hand pump to fill. Think about it as doing an oil change without having a drain hole. Pan can be dropped with minimal/no obstruction. Leave a few bolts loose and in place to get fluid flowing into a large pan. I used a cat litter tub we had lying around. You'll sabve $100+ doing it yourself.

Back