Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 66 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

Thank you for your reply. I read another post that suggested it was an issue with the "cowl" but thought the service guy would have been aware of that. I haven't heard back from anyone so I think I will call today and make this suggestion to see if this was checked. Thanks again for your input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

call ford motor and complain

our dealer gave us a loaner car no issue. granted we drove it with the noise for about 5 days while the parts came in.

OH and Temp fix - we tapped the cowl to the window with some painters tape and the noise stopped.

Had this happen today myself. funny thing is when I heard it, I knew what it was from reading about it on the forum here.

I'll have try and recreate it however because it only happened once

our was easy to re-create.

drive over 64 mph - noise, go up to 75 - louder and higher pitched.

go past 80 on a test track in mexico - dims down and almost went way.

and like I said before - some painters tape taping down the cowl panel to the windscreen - prevented the noise for a little while.

I'm having the same problem with a buzz or hum except it's coming from the drivers side, around maybe the A-post. Forgive my ignorance, what's the "cowl" ya'll are mentioning and where's it located?

I'm having the same problem with a buzz or hum except it's coming from the drivers side, around maybe the A-post. Forgive my ignorance, what's the "cowl" ya'll are mentioning and where's it located?

that bit of plastic and rubber under your wiper blades.

Wind noise

Just bought a 2016 explorer and when you are going 60 or more it has this annoying loud noise, can't figure out where it's coming from! Anyone having this prob?

Just bought a 2016 explorer and when you are going 60 or more it has this annoying loud noise, can't figure out where it's coming from! Anyone having this prob?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
It could be the cowl. There have been several posts regarding a loose or improperly fitted cowl. That is the plastic piece that runs along the bottom of the windshield. Take it back and have the dealer check it out.
I merged your thread with this existing one.

Peter

I have the same issue. I took it back to be looked at, and picked it up today after they said it was fixed, but it is still making the noise. I don't think they replaced it because there were leaves on the cowl piece from my house, so why were they still there if they replaced the piece. I'm taking it back in

It's like a loud buzzing noise...they are replacing the cowl so we will see if that's the problem.

It's like a loud buzzing noise...they are replacing the cowl so we will see if that's the problem.
Please add the 'model' of your Ex to your profile so it always shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

I have a 2016 Limited. Drove it off the lot, got on the highway and heard the buzzing sound. I put a ton of things under the cowl where it touches the windshield and still it was buzzing. So, I simply folded the rubber part of the cowl, where it touches the windshield under itself and no more buzzing at speed. I don't see this as a permanent fix but at least it stopped the buzzing until I can get to the dealer.

I have a 2016 Limited. Drove it off the lot, got on the highway and heard the buzzing sound. I put a ton of things under the cowl where it touches the windshield and still it was buzzing. So, I simply folded the rubber part of the cowl, where it touches the windshield under itself and no more buzzing at speed. I don't see this as a permanent fix but at least it stopped the buzzing until I can get to the dealer.
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
It seems that sometimes certain model years have their own unique issues. With the 2016 is back to noisy cowls. With the 2013 models it was a noisy fan for the internal temp feature.

Peter

Thanks. This is a great forum and it has been quite informative. Since the 2016 is new, I am sure that there will be issues. I still love the vehicle. I hope to see more 2016 guys talking about them.

I have the same problem at the same speeds mentioned in earlier posts, but couldn't recreate it when I took it to the dealer today, go figure. It seems to be not just the speed, but needs a wind component to cause the issue. They said they cant just order it based on my reporting the issue, so we shall see.
At least (from my 2012) they fixed the legroom for the driver, the radio antenna and the console coin tray clips breaking off. Hope they fixed the coat hook breaking issue as well. Now if they only had brought back a real retractable cargo cover..........

I have the same problem at the same speeds mentioned in earlier posts, but couldn't recreate it when I took it to the dealer today, go figure. It seems to be not just the speed, but needs a wind component to cause the issue. They said they cant just order it based on my reporting the issue, so we shall see...

Welcome to the forum, bhorak! When you were at the dealer, did you take the tech on a test drive? You may have a better chance of recreating it when you're on the road. What's the current mileage on your Explorer?

Crystal

hansenfarm

Also have a 2016 Explorer Limited and it has several thousand miles on it. We get the high pitched buzz with no regularity.
The first time it happened we were facing about a 30 mph wind at 45-60 mph and it was loud enough to be very annoying. The second time it happened there was very little wind and we were not facing it but again going 45-50 mph. Has not happened for a week or more.
Wondered about using tape when it starts doing it to see if it stops. If that stops it, could cowling be sealed to windshield or is there a reason it should just lay against the windshield?
Would appreciate any thoughts anyone has.
Local service dept. tried to be helpful but no way to catch it acting up.

Also have a 2016 Explorer Limited and it has several thousand miles on it. We get the high pitched buzz with no regularity.
The first time it happened we were facing about a 30 mph wind at 45-60 mph and it was loud enough to be very annoying. The second time it happened there was very little wind and we were not facing it but again going 45-50 mph. Has not happened for a week or more.
Wondered about using tape when it starts doing it to see if it stops. If that stops it, could cowling be sealed to windshield or is there a reason it should just lay against the windshield?
Would appreciate any thoughts anyone has.
Local service dept. tried to be helpful but no way to catch it acting up.
Chances are, given the number of similar issues, it is the cowl and it should be checked by the dealership. You can try taping it down and if the noise is gone then you've isolated it. It may be loose so that it can be removed to clean outr any debris that accumulates there. Just a guess.

Peter

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same issue. I took it back to be looked at, and picked it up today after they said it was fixed, but it is still making the noise...

Hey guys,

Did the dealer resolve your concern? If not, please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist! :)

The first time it happened we were facing about a 30 mph wind at 45-60 mph and it was loud enough to be very annoying...
Hello hansenfarm,

Have you considered seeking a second opinion from another Ford Dealer? In the meantime, please PM the information I requested from sparky72 and Flipee. I’ll get this escalated! :D

Tricia

Back