Will an A4LD from a 4.0L Aerostar fit in an Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will an A4LD from a 4.0L Aerostar fit in an Explorer?

Mathewsky

Reaction score
City, State
Paris
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello:)
One of my friend broke his A4LD transmission on his explorer, please let me know if A4LD from an aerostar 4.0 will fit on his 1993 explorer?
Many thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the starter is on the other side for Aerostar vans.

I believe the starter is on the other side for Aerostar vans.

On the 3.0L's it was on the passenger side. Totally different bellhousing.

In the early years, I think the 4.0L was mated to the A4LD and then switched to the 4r44e or whatever it was. I'd bet that the A4LD and 4.0L combo in the Aerostar is the same as the Explorer. Getting to the bellhousing bolts... that's another question.

Thanks for your replies,
So do you think that he can buy that sell for parts aerostar 4.0 and change his A4LD?
@ Natenkiki: you talk about early years, so the year of the aerostar has to be take in consideration?
@ Brooklyn bay: I saw that you're an aerostar owner, would you run the risk to change your explorer transmission for an aerostar transmission?

Yes, years need to be taken into account just to make sure you do get an Aerostar with an A4LD, that would be 1990-1995. If it's got both the 4.0L OHV and the A4LD, I'd expect both to drop into the Explorer together or individually.

Just double-check that the bellhousing is the same on the Aerostar before you try removing the trans. You'll be uttering some choice words, I've seen the 4.0L in an Aerostar and I wouldn't even want to change spark plugs in one.

Yes, years need to be taken into account just to make sure you do get an Aerostar with an A4LD, that would be 1990-1995. If it's got both the 4.0L OHV and the A4LD, I'd expect both to drop into the Explorer together or individually.

Just double-check that the bellhousing is the same on the Aerostar before you try removing the trans. You'll be uttering some choice words, I've seen the 4.0L in an Aerostar and I wouldn't even want to change spark plugs in one.

We had an aerostar with 3.0 and 5 speed manual, m5od I believe. It looks cramped but it's really not that bad. Cylinder 3 spark plug in explorers with A/C is worse. The tyranny might be a tight fit though.

Also, I'm guessing you need a 4x4 A4LD if you have 4x4.

Also, I'm guessing you need a 4x4 A4LD if you have 4x4.

I think you can swap over the extension housing from the Explorer with the broken A4LD and the 4x4 should be the same. Even if it's a 2wd, it's probably a good idea to do that anyway, I think most Aerostars are 4x4 or AWD.

Many thanks, I will let you know what will be the decision, bought that sell for parts aerostar or bought a rebuilt A4LD, not the same price...

Back