What's the deal with the seats in the '16 Sport/Platinum | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's the deal with the seats in the '16 Sport/Platinum

jeebus

Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Porsche 911 C4S
So my wife's got a '14 Sport. It's a great car and we like it a lot. But seeing the facelift on the '16 models has me thinking about trading it in. Plus, the '16 Sport/Platinum is available with several useful options that weren't available on the '14 Sport, like a heated steering wheel (my wife is *always* cold), power fold 3rd row, and hands free liftgate. But I've read some references to different seats. We're both pretty tall (I'm 6'5" and she's 5'9"), and the seats in her current car fit us fairly well. Can anyone comment on the changes to the seats in the '16 models? Also, does the Platinum have totally different seats, or just different leather/stitching?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So my wife's got a '14 Sport. It's a great car and we like it a lot. But seeing the facelift on the '16 models has me thinking about trading it in. Plus, the '16 Sport/Platinum is available with several useful options that weren't available on the '14 Sport, like a heated steering wheel (my wife is *always* cold), power fold 3rd row, and hands free liftgate. But I've read some references to different seats. We're both pretty tall (I'm 6'5" and she's 5'9"), and the seats in her current car fit us fairly well. Can anyone comment on the changes to the seats in the '16 models? Also, does the Platinum have totally different seats, or just different leather/stitching?

Thanks!

Come join the conversation here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434438

Thanks! Missed that thread.

Thanks!
Looking at pictures of the seats, they appear to be the same as previous ones except that the Platinum has a different leather and fancy stitching. They also have the massage feature.

Peter

Looking at pictures of the seats, they appear to be the same as previous ones except that the Platinum has a different leather and fancy stitching. They also have the massage feature.

Peter

Thanks Peter! Yeah, based on pictures they looked the same but some people were complaining about differences with the seats in the newer vehicles. And are you serious about the massage feature?? If you are, it's nowhere on Ford's site.

Thanks Peter! Yeah, based on pictures they looked the same but some people were complaining about differences with the seats in the newer vehicles. And are you serious about the massage feature?? If you are, it's nowhere on Ford's site.
Yep, the Platinum has "multicontour" massaging seats. Indeed it's tough to figure out exactly what the Platinum includes. Start with the DOG:
http://www.fleet.ford.com/edms/order-guides/?geography=NATL&brand=Ford&model=Explorer

But even that's incomplete -- for example, Platinum has leather/vinyl covered dash, which isn't listed there or anywhere else I've seen. It really looks nice!

Back