List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unfortunately I am unable to post my pictures in this forum. But would gladly post them where ever appropriate.
If you take out a $20 Elite membership you can post right from your computer and you'll help support the Forum. You can also find instructions in the 'Sticky' section of this thread;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Also, I have found that many pictures linked to this forum from an 'outside' photo posting utility disappear after a while.

Peter

I have my documentary evidence that Ford has known about the problem since 1992. With the assistance and guidance from others experience I plan on taking Ford to small claims court if the Dealer refuses to fix my vehicle to my satisfaction. Ford owners have won in small claims Court in 13 states suing them for blistering and bubbling paint after the warranty period. CA, ID, IL, IN, MA, MD, MI, NJ, OR, PA, TX, and VA. Knowledge is a wonderful thing.

I have my documentary evidence that Ford has known about the problem since 1992. With the assistance and guidance from others experience I plan on taking Ford to small claims court if the Dealer refuses to fix my vehicle to my satisfaction. Ford owners have won in small claims Court in 13 states suing them for blistering and bubbling paint after the warranty period. CA, ID, IL, IN, MA, MD, MI, NJ, OR, PA, TX, and VA. Knowledge is a wonderful thing.

I posted my experience in this thread last year. Same exact experience as you. I am curious to see how your small claims court experience goes. I may do the same.

Maliboo74

I hope you are on FACEBOOK. This group I referred to in my previous post has a wealth of information. I may not have to go to that extreme thanks to the knowledge I obtained. I should know within a week. Either way I am extremely grateful that I am not alone. Knowledge is a powerful thing. All the group asks is if you benefit from being informed as to how to get this issue resolved ....:thumbsup: Just pay it forward.

hood continues to oxidize and blister 3 repairs

Bought a new 2014 ford explorer Sept 2013 Here is my continuing story.

After 8 mos the aluminum hood started oxidizing and was blistering and cracking the paint along the leading edge. Took it to the dealer to get fixed 5500 miles on it. The dealership completely botched the paintwork "repairing"it. My wife and I loose it at the terrible paint work our new truck had. They left us in a rental and kept it to "repair the repair." Next day we were told it was done. It was worse, missing clear coat, trash in the paint, tape lines along the leading edge. I explained the not only was this horrible work, but it would oxidize AGAIN. They kept it and "repaired the repair of the repair." 4 mos later it is oxidizing again. Took it back and asked if they used the epoxy primer when they did the initial repair. "What?" Was the answer I got. Had to have it fixed again. And AGAIN when it was all said and done they had to "repair the repair of the repair of the initial repair of the repair of the repair." And they broke the clips for the seal under the hood and it was just hanging and looked like terrible. Was told "it was like that when it came in." Had to call Ford corporate and GM of dealership. Got nothing from anyone. Fast forward to last month. Oxidizing again. And again have to have multiple repairs of repairs done. Shop manager tells me there is nothing else he can do for me and tells me I have to take delivery of my vehicle with possibly the worst paint job yet. Call ford, they will not do anything cause it is a dealer problem. Explained the oxidization, still told it is a problem with their repair. Get operations manager over to look at the problems with my truck, he says they are going to order a hood. At this point we fill out the lemon law paperwork as this will be their last attempt to fix. Hood comes in. Unpainted ( so we have accomplished nothing). Then I am told I have to pay $100 deductible to ford corporate for the hood. I am not paying anything. Dealer says he will pay it if I take the negative comments off twitter and facebook. I will not because I am still not satisfied, and the repairs are merely a bandaid. New hood has arrived, and we made an appointment to look at the work. It was dusty dirty, and not buffed. trash in paint. They knew we were coming in and left it like that, they KNEW. All I want it a repair that works, and not be made to feel like I am the bad guy. I paid 35k for this truck. What a waste of money.

I have been in contact with Ford customer relations, the management all the way up the chain at the dealer. Nothing has been done except making me feel like I am the bad guy for asking my vehicle be repaired properly. I will not be buying another Ford product, not because of the paint problem because all vehicles have problems, but the customer service from my local dealer and from Ford Motor Co. I will continue to voice my story on every media outlet that will listen. I have given the opportunity to make it right several time and continue to be the "bad guy." Yeah, I am paying 35k for this new truck and all I want is it repaired properly, what an A-hole I am.

Hi Everyone,

With this situation going on so long now, I'm curious what everyone has been doing about it or what they're been offered. I was notified by my dealer that Ford was offering to pay half the cost of re-painting the hood, or $300 out of pocket for me here in North Jersey. It's starting to chip now from the bubbling. Can any of you share with me your results and what offer was presented to you?

Thank you.

Ercole

Hi Everyone,

With this situation going on so long now, I'm curious what everyone has been doing about it or what they're been offered. I was notified by my dealer that Ford was offering to pay half the cost of re-painting the hood, or $300 out of pocket for me here in North Jersey. It's starting to chip now from the bubbling. Can any of you share with me your results and what offer was presented to you?

Thank you.

Ercole
What you are seeking has already been posted. There are several posts in this thread that already mention what Ford has offered. The results differ from case to case. Ford's offer to you is just one of them.

Peter

What you are seeking has already been posted. There are several posts in this thread that already mention what Ford has offered. The results differ from case to case. Ford's offer to you is just one of them.

Peter

Yep, I've seen $300, $400 and $500 out of pocket. Ford corporate quoted me $500 and I went up the ladder and spoke to a management type who would not budge on $500 for me. I asked for $400. He seemed angry I dared to ask.

I'm buy and hold and have to live with the two Ford's I have, but as of now I will live with a bad taste in my mouth with the intention of not buying a Ford again.

Thinking of replacing my Escape -which is my beach buggy - with a Wrangler Sahara next spring. Will hold on to the Ex for a little while. Actually don't mind the vehicle. Just don't see it holding up long term with all the fit an finish issues.

Hi Everyone,

With this situation going on so long now, I'm curious what everyone has been doing about it or what they're been offered...

Yep, I've seen $300, $400 and $500 out of pocket...
Hi guys,

Let me document your product feedback. Please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll take a look and check my resources on this end!

Tricia

Hi guys,

Let me document your product feedback. Please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll take a look and check my resources on this end!

Tricia

Sorry, but I won't contact Ford. Speaking to that corporate manager was enough of a nightmare. Worse than dealing a used car dealer.

Bubbling again at 60k

I had bubbles in my hood a couple of years ago that was repaired under warranty. I now have bubbles again at 60K miles. I visited my dealer last week ready to go to battle. They looked at it and called me back 45 minutes later with a date to bring it in for repair. From the quick turn around, I think the dealer is covering the cost. They told me that Ford has a new procedure for repainting it.

It is a small town dealership that my family has purchased from for years which may also help.

I had bubbles in my hood a couple of years ago that was repaired under warranty. I now have bubbles again at 60K miles. I visited my dealer last week ready to go to battle. They looked at it and called me back 45 minutes later with a date to bring it in for repair. From the quick turn around, I think the dealer is covering the cost. They told me that Ford has a new procedure for repainting it.

It is a small town dealership that my family has purchased from for years which may also help.

That's nice of that dealer. Ford corporate would not budge on my Ex with only 32k miles and just under 4 years old for this paint problem that more owners have than they realize. My dealer said it was up to corporate.

We'll see how well the new paint job holds up. I'm not holding my breath.

From everything that I have read, it requires a new hood as repainting will just cause it to happen again on the factory hood. Something to do with contamination of the hood prior to paint.

From everything that I have read, it requires a new hood as repainting will just cause it to happen again on the factory hood. Something to do with contamination of the hood prior to paint.
That was the impression I got as well. Repainting the affected area is just a temporary solution.

Peter

Sorry, but I won't contact Ford. Speaking to that corporate manager was enough of a nightmare. Worse than dealing a used car dealer.
tmg19103,

The offer still stands to document your product feedback. I’ll be here if you change your mind.

I had bubbles in my hood a couple of years ago that was repaired under warranty. I now have bubbles again at 60K miles. I visited my dealer last week ready to go to battle. They looked at it and called me back 45 minutes later with a date to bring it in for repair...
Thanks for sharing the great news, bnh1971.

Please keep me posted, and have a great day! :)

Tricia

The side of my hood on my 2012 Limited is bubbling. Almost 70k miles I am certain Ford will not fix. Nice, I now have a 3-year old vehicle with a corroding hood. Makes my blood boil.

For those with the paint bubbling issue...I assume none of you have the 3M (or equivalent) paint protection?
Not sure if it will minimize this issue, but if the paint bubbles underneath the clearshield film; there is no way Ford can deny it as being their fault!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For those with the paint bubbling issue...I assume none of you have the 3M (or equivalent) paint protection?
Not sure if it will minimize this issue, but if the paint bubbles underneath the clearshield film; there is no way Ford can deny it as being their fault!

Ford is not denying it is their fault. It's a manufacturing defect that is their fault. If it involved the safety of the vehicle, there would be a recall and they would fix it for free. As is, they are picking up a portion of the cost to repair when they don't have to. Mine included a new hood and $500 out of pocket. Their cost on the hood is $700 and then the cost to paint and put on. $1,100-$1,200 total.

Ford will argue they are doing some great favor for a vehicle out of warranty. I will argue it is one symptom of a shoddy manufacturing process in regards to fit and finish. It's a manufacturing defect and in essence is $500 added to the price I negotiated for and bough the vehicle for.

Throw in the third row water leak through the improperly sealed roof rack, the exterior panels not lining up, and the interior panels not lining up on a lot of Ex's (including mine) and I see shoddy work a lot of owners are complaining about.

Back