Question regarding Daytime Running LED's on 5th Gen Explorer (Picture) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question regarding Daytime Running LED's on 5th Gen Explorer (Picture)

Hi Dan,

I like both options for the DRLs and excited you moving forward on this. I think if I had to pick I would do the shorter one but I will be a customer either way.

Agree Cloud. After living with these for a couple of months, my artistic eye :) concludes that the longer one is more attractive at night in the dark, and the shorter one is more suitable to the lines of the car in the daytime. If I were mass producing these, I would be going with the shorter of the two, because they are more likely to be judged in the daylight, and would have a more universal appeal, I think.

However, IMHO, they are equally nice.:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I unfortunately was tired of waiting and my original LED Drl's already failed so I made up some new ones using the following:

LED Lights: http://amzn.com/B00MVMRS6O

Control Module: http://amzn.com/B00KFEOKUW

I used some slotted angle iron for the brackets, bent so they are parallel with the road and the metal also helps dissipate any heat from the lights, some locking washers, and painted them black. I did screw them into the bumper but where they are you can't see the holes if I ever remove them.

So far they have been on for a couple weeks and no issues, no noticeable heat and doesn't seam to blind anyone as they are full on at all times (I might change that and hook up the dimmer wire, I don't know if they will dim or just turn off)

Attached is the result.

Attachments

• 20150317_203856.jpg
    20150317_203856.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 671
  • 20150317_203926.jpg
    20150317_203926.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 656
  • 20150317_203947.jpg
    20150317_203947.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 647

Do you have a daytime shot from further away to give us an idea how they look "on the road"?

Not currently, I'll see about getting one soon.

Do you have a daytime shot from further away to give us an idea how they look "on the road"?

Here you go. Sorry for the quality, cell phone image.

Attachments

• 20150401_170936.jpg
    20150401_170936.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 645

Thanks, seems noticeable enough without being obnoxious!

Thanks, seems noticeable enough without being obnoxious!

Its all about personal preference, I like the width of them (about 3 inches) and four lights per, seemed like a good amount. Only thing that sucked was merging the 4 sets of wires into 1 set on each side. ah well..

I just did this ystrday I trimmed mine alittle shorter ....

I have a '15 Sport. None of the '11 - '15 year models have DLR lamps. I would think you would simple install a separate toggle switch. I like the "plasma" look at these on Amazon. I believe they would np be brighter than other simple LEDs.
I like the position in your illustration. Let me know what you end up doing.
Good luck!
http://www.amazon.com/HOT-SYSTEM-Silicone-Switchback-Headlights/dp/B00WBF9DTQ

Great topic. Kind of timely too. We have actually just committed to developing an Explorer specific LED DRL system that will fill the angled cavity between the headlight and the grill. Our LED lamps will be very bright and function as true DRLs in bright daylight. The universal LED products mentioned in some of the posts would be considered accent lights, not suitable for bright sunshine visibility.

Our DRL lamp housing design will form to the contours of the grill and surrounding surfaces. Our goal is to create a light that looks like it came on the Explorer from the Ford factory.

I am not going to give too much away about the design, but the photo below shows the direction we are heading. We are considering several types of LED emitters, reflectors and lens designs from our Ford Fusion DRL and our GMC Terrain DRL prototype. (see photos below).

I would love input from forum members on the design and any features or functions you would like to see incorporated in it. We are moving forward quickly on the development of this DRL, so get your suggestions in soon. If you want to discuss this offline, anyone is welcome to email me at info@daytimebrightlites.com or call at 913-304-0720.

Thanks, in advance,
Dan Smith - DAYTIME BrightLites, LLC & DriveBright.com

DAYTIMEBrightLitesExplorerDRLConcept1_zps832c6d2a.jpg

I prefer the right one, where LED's are the same length as headlights

Great topic. Kind of timely too. We have actually just committed to developing an Explorer specific LED DRL system that will fill the angled cavity between the headlight and the grill. Our LED lamps will be very bright and function as true DRLs in bright daylight. The universal LED products mentioned in some of the posts would be considered accent lights, not suitable for bright sunshine visibility.

Our DRL lamp housing design will form to the contours of the grill and surrounding surfaces. Our goal is to create a light that looks like it came on the Explorer from the Ford factory.

I am not going to give too much away about the design, but the photo below shows the direction we are heading. We are considering several types of LED emitters, reflectors and lens designs from our Ford Fusion DRL and our GMC Terrain DRL prototype. (see photos below).

I would love input from forum members on the design and any features or functions you would like to see incorporated in it. We are moving forward quickly on the development of this DRL, so get your suggestions in soon. If you want to discuss this offline, anyone is welcome to email me at info@daytimebrightlites.com or call at 913-304-0720.

Thanks, in advance,
Dan Smith - DAYTIME BrightLites, LLC & DriveBright.com

DAYTIMEBrightLitesExplorerDRLConcept1_zps832c6d2a.jpg
hi Dan, I prefer the longer version, photo two, but I'll take either one. For features, I would like auto dimming when the headlights are on and dual LEDs for turn signals would be nice, but not absolutely required.

Any word on availability? I just visited the web site and saw that nothing is available yet for the explorer. I'll send you an email when I have a chance.

I saw Dan's prototype DRL recently, nice piece. He said he's very close to a release. Be patient!

I saw Dan's prototype DRL recently, nice piece. He said he's very close to a release. Be patient!
Great news. I just emailed Dan as well. I'm going to wait for his "bespoke" DLRs rather than trying to do my own install with generics if he is releasing within the next couple of months.

Another LED headlight option?

Hey Explosportguy,
I agree with others in that I prefer the longer vertical placement.
But today on CarId.com (which is expensive, but quality as well) has
Dual-Color Lightning Eyes LED Headlight Kit by PlasmaGlow®.
I like the dual color especially to have the option of amber turn signal option.
I measured the gap between the bottom of my '15 Sport's headlight and the body.
Theses LEDs will fit & in careful reading of the seller's description, the LEDs are mounted on the SIDE of the strip. So I can totally hide the strip under the headlight, then when they are turned on, the LEDs are entirely viewed.
Also I bought a DLR relay harness off eBay; item # 361091550190.
This is a wiring harness to wire these LEDs. I am ordering the LEDs today, I will post pics when I get them installed.

Hey Peter, thanks for the info. I am going to go to my local dealer & get DRL turned on.
I personally haven't seen aftermarket LED DRL's look more like a factory install. Most look like an after thought. I bought some really thin LED's that will fit under the headlight housing, which you would think they would shin up inside the whole housing, BUT the LEDs are angle at a 45 degree angle to project forward. I'm going to just try the look w/o exposing the adhesive backing. We'll see. Thanks man!

I'm still trying to find a way to make my blinker yellow/amber lights my DRL. I think the yellow lights will look very cool with my black plates with yellow letters. I have seen the raptor and also the Toyota tundra with the yellow/amber lights for DRL'S. anybody have any tips that can point me in the right direction?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm still trying to find a way to make my blinker yellow/amber lights my DRL. I think the yellow lights will look very cool with my black plates with yellow letters. I have seen the raptor and also the Toyota tundra with the yellow/amber lights for DRL'S. anybody have any tips that can point me in the right direction?

A dealer?

Back