Hydro locked my 92, replace or scrap? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hydro locked my 92, replace or scrap?

Rwrighttt

Reaction score
City, State
md
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 twin sticks
Hey all, was out 4 wheeling this weekend and went to deep in a pond and that's all she wrote. Pulled the intake and a good amount of water came out then the plugs and some more water. Put a wrench on the crank, and she's seized up good. I'm in the dumps over it, but I do have a 91 sport parts truck with over 200k miles on it. It ran when I parked it last month but lost of parts are off so it's junk. But motor is there 100%. But the valve covers leak along with rear main seal but that can be fixed when its out. So I'm wonder is it worth replacing it? I know it's pretty straight forward unplug/unbolt replug/rebolt type deal. Could be good time to get a bronco 2.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have the time, I'd say swap over the long block..

Like you said, you can fix the leaks then...

If you have the cash, you can freshen the motor BUT if you can run a compression test on it first you can get a better idea of how that motor is.. If you have good/even compression I'd say drop it in after you fix the leaks.. I'd change the LIM gasket while you are there, just to be safe but that's all I'd do if the motor was already good.

~Mark

If you do swap it over, one other thing to do with the engine out is oil pan gasket and frost plugs. Much harder to do those with the engine in the vehicle.

What shape is the 92 in??? I'd swap it over if it is in ok shape...

What shape is the 92 in??? I'd swap it over if it is in ok shape...

I would post pics if I didn't have apple devices lol but the 92 is in good shape. I wheel it hard, but it has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Besides driver error. I'm attracted to it more because it's a factory 4 door with manual trans and t case, but for no reason lol

If you have the time, I'd say swap over the long block..

Like you said, you can fix the leaks then...

If you have the cash, you can freshen the motor BUT if you can run a compression test on it first you can get a better idea of how that motor is.. If you have good/even compression I'd say drop it in after you fix the leaks.. I'd change the LIM gasket while you are there, just to be safe but that's all I'd do if the motor was already good.

~Mark

Compression test is a good idea, and yeah the hardest part I'm thinking would be getting the exhaust off. Stuff is rust welded

Back