Rolling very slowly in park on hills | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rolling very slowly in park on hills

reklis

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford ranger 5.0
When I'm in park on any bit of a hill my truck is rolling very slowly, whether I'm facing up or downhill does not matter. It is an 01 explorer 5.0---I currently have the front driveline out but I don't see why that would change anything. it is not clicking or making any noise, not jerking or anything---just very slowly rolling......can anyone tell me what's happening? I would appreciate any help--thank you in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe it's called the parking pawl and it's located in the transmission. By locking the transmission the vehicle won't roll. Sounds like it snapped or unhinged.

I currently have the front driveline out but I don't see why that would change anything.

It changes everything because you have an AWD system.
Right now you are on the path of damaging the Center Differential (or Transfer Case how some call it colloquially) because you drive without that axle.

It changes everything because you have an AWD system.
Right now you are on the path of damaging the Center Differential (or Transfer Case how some call it colloquially) because you drive without that axle.

This. Research "creeping in PARK with front driveshaft removed".

I found this out the fun way too OP. As others have said, it's because you don't have the AWD hooked up. The AWD transfer case cannot fully lock, so will slip when in park. If the front tires are not hooked up to hold it from slipping, the front drive connection on the transfer case slowly turns and your truck rolls.

Well, the Owner Manual tells us to always use the parking brake...

It is a good practice for any car with automatic transmission - to save the parking pawl inside transmission in case that somebody hits slightly your bumper while you are parked.

Well, the Owner Manual tells us to always use the parking brake...
^ You nailed it. The reason it's called a PARKING brake, not emergency or e-brake.

And we all know how much fun seized parking brakes are to work on from non use.

thank you guys all for the response! I learned a lot about my t-case! I think I'm going to put a 4406 in. the reason my driveline is out is because it needs rebuilt and the truck is my DD. but now I think if I need to re built my driveline I might as well build it to match that t case---I've been reading and it looks like an easy swap

True parking brake should be used, but not everyone has a working parking brake and a lot of people won't pay to fix it with an automatic vehicle. Yes I know it should be fixed, not trying to start an argument haha.

In VA you can't pass the yearly inspection without it. And yes, it's a pain to fix a rusted one.

True parking brake should be used, but not everyone has a working parking brake and a lot of people won't pay to fix it with an automatic vehicle. Yes I know it should be fixed, not trying to start an argument haha.

Well, if you remove the front drive shaft on an AWD and your parking brake doesn't work, don't park on any hills, or carry wheel chocks around with you I guess. :D

Well, if you remove the front drive shaft on an AWD and your parking brake doesn't work, don't park on any hills, or carry wheel chocks around with you I guess. :D

I used to just always park on hills and let the truck sit back on the curb or parking stone until I got it fixed. But yes. Bad news if you have to park somewhere and your parking brake does not work lol.

Back